Register Now
Techno

Dead Video Game Studios

There are so many sadly. I remember a while back when I worked for a site that was about video games, and we were searching for indie studios and other studios, and I remember encountering many studios that are closed or were aquired by another studio/company. 

A big name that comes to mind, is Acclaim. They were big in the 90s if I remember correctly. I know they made some stinkers, but I remember there was some good games by them as well. Midway is also closed, and they were a big dev for quite a while. They developed Mortal Kombat. I forgot that Neversoft closed down. I'm pretty sure they developed the Tony Hawk Games originally. 

The first name that comes to my mind was Bullfrog Productions (which is part of the really useful picture posted by Shagger above), which developed Theme Hospital (the spiritual predecessor of Two Point Hospital). I always loved the morbid humor of the cutscenes in TH (including the doctor cutting someone up with a chainsaw and an evil grin), which was unfortunately not present in TPH. Shame that studio went dead since they were going to develop Theme Movie Studio. I would've loved that.

I think the one studio I haven't seen in Shagger's picture is Ensemble Studios, which was responsible for not just the Age of Empires series 1-3, but also Age of Mythology, the only "Age of" series I've played and a beloved classic from my childhood. That game got me into my passion for mythology hard, so I'm really grateful for that game.

Google stopped paying devs to port their games, so devs stopped porting games. We can assume from this that not enough people were purchasing the games to make it profitable without Google's subsidies. Lack of games -> lack of paying customers -> no motivation to port games -> lack of customers. It's a death spiral, and Google is caught in it. That's why they're pivoting to white box enterprise, to see if they can salvage any of the money they pumped into it.

On 10/28/2022 at 11:26 AM, Shagger said:

I will never deny myself a chance to tell the world how much I hate EA...

image_2022-10-28_192548998.thumb.png.0f782d9bfe751d37520bad741924afa2.png

It's sad too since a lot of those games could have been re-released or at least given a good remaster, since the communities 100% loved them but hated what EA did to change the game once they took over.

On 11/3/2022 at 7:07 PM, Syntax said:

It's sad too since a lot of those games could have been re-released or at least given a good remaster, since the communities 100% loved them but hated what EA did to change the game once they took over.

Medal of Honor would have been an epic and long lasting series but just like we've know EA for the last 15 years they would always do something to jeopardize the success of their video games.

On 11/3/2022 at 1:07 PM, Syntax said:

Be careful before you put a 100% label on anything. Not every gamer loved those games. There are several games in the picture that @Shagger posted that I'm either not a fan of, or flat out don't like. And I know that I can't be the only one, despite how successful a game may have been. So unless you talk to every single gamer in the world, I recommend avoiding the 100% label.

On 11/9/2022 at 9:09 PM, killamch89 said:

In addition to @Shagger post, I also miss the original THQ which were famous for the original WWE games that were so enjoyable until they were forced to sell the IPs to Take Two Interactive. THQ Nordic is just a hollow shell of the greatness that once was known as THQ.

I actually forgot about these guys and maybe it's as a result of their existence for only a short while.

They had a really bright future ahead if only they had continued or moved on to other project when they sold out the IP for wwe.