Register Now
The Blackangel

Disc vs Digital

I did a search but couldn't find a topic like this.

What does everyone think here? Personally, I say always go for the disc capable version of a console as opposed to a strictly digital version. The disc capable versions of a system do absolutely the exact same things the digital version does, with the added bonus of being able to run a disc is you so choose. One thought is that there is the possibility of a game you want being exclusively disc. If you digital, you would be shit out of luck. Even if you never buy a disc for any reason, at least you have the option. Isn't it better to have too much than not enough? And what about your games from the previous system? Do you want to have to buy the game again, or be able to use the same disc that you already have?

It just seems both smarter and wiser to go with a disc capable version of a system to me.

Yeah, I'm a physical disc advocator any day of the week. Almost all my Nintendo games are physical except The House of Fata Morgana (which was an old game that you wouldn't be able to find a physical copy of in Singapore at the time of my purchase). I think that's the only time I would go digital - if the physical copy is unavailable or costs a hundred bucks (see old 3DS games, especially the big name ones like SMT; not even exaggerating, they cost that much on Amazon).

However, even if they're expensive, if I'm devoted to a franchise or a specific game enough, like say, the Chaos;Head duology, I wouldn't mind paying that much just for the physical copy to be shipped over. Sometimes, you get extra benefits anyway because you'll only get special collector's edition of the games (with t-shirts and accessories) only by purchasing the PHYSICAL copy, never the digital one (see Soul Hackers 2 and Fallout 4). I'm really glad that publishers of these games really went out of their way to keep physical games alive by providing these cool bonuses. I remember CD Projekt Red doing something similar with Cyberpunk 2077 too.

It really comes down to a matter of convenience and your level of passion. I still buy games I don't care that much about on Steam because it's easier that way than heading down to my local game store everytime, but I'll still go out and support not just game companies or game franchises I like, but also movie directors or just movies I want to support by going down to the local theater instead of steaming from my home. Pick your battle, and vote with your wallet towards the franchise you want to get behind.

Edited by Akun

I'm just lazy so I usually opt to get the digital versions these days. And half the time you do get a physical game, they don't include a manual or any other goodies in the mix, some don't even include the full game like with the recent MW2 and a lot of the newer Switch games that drop with just a slip with a code to download the game. 

I would rather collect retro games physically, but most new games I feel are going to outright drop physical media and will focus on selling digital media going forward. I think it's the inevitable future. 

If games came out with something more, I'd buy the physical version. At least include a manual, maybe a poster and some stickers. I'm sure that would entice more digital buyers to jump at that. Hell include a funko figure, people love those dumb things lol. Or include some kind of figure or collectible. Nothing too costly though, because then we're getting into collectors edition territory. 

A swing of both

Physical: for new (current gen) or if there is no Digital version [Due to licensing issues (Example: Deadpool and Scott Pilgrim vs the world had problems shortly after being released)]. Also saves on hard drive space and balances out re-downloads if you have poor local internet connections

Digital: for big discounts, re-releases from gens before and indies. I'm not a fan of DLC but some have attracted my attention and these are no longer sold as physical in stores no more (to my knowledge, I may be wrong)

1 hour ago, Empire said:

A swing of both

Physical: for new (current gen) or if there is no Digital version [Due to licensing issues (Example: Deadpool and Scott Pilgrim vs the world had problems shortly after being released)]. Also saves on hard drive space and balances out re-downloads if you have poor local internet connections

Digital: for big discounts, re-releases from gens before and indies. I'm not a fan of DLC but some have attracted my attention and these are no longer sold as physical in stores no more (to my knowledge, I may be wrong)

I get what you're saying, but the disc capable systems can do the exact same thing as the digital ones can do. Whether or not you have any interest in physical media or not, the disc capable systems at least offer you the option. There's no mandate to use it. Personally I see digital systems as limiting and "crippling" if you will. In my eyes they cut down the possible amount of games that you can play. Like I said there could be a lot of games that are only released on physical media, and not digitally. Since the disc capable version can do digital just as good, if not better than the digital, I really can't understand getting the digital. With the exception of cheddar. If that's the issue, then I can see it. But it still doesn't make sense to me. And like I said, you may have a game on PS4 that you loved, but since you went digital, you have to buy it a second time if you want to continue to be able to play it.

And this is coming from someone who literally has 124 DDL's on her Switch. But it's still cartridge capable.

I personally go for disc, since I want something physical that I could let a friend borrow or exchange out later. With digital, you are at the mercy of the store you bought it from to not go under, or the publisher to not just yank the rights away for the store to sell/let you download it later if something were to happen to your local copy. 

1 hour ago, Syntax said:

I personally go for disc, since I want something physical that I could let a friend borrow or exchange out later. With digital, you are at the mercy of the store you bought it from to not go under, or the publisher to not just yank the rights away for the store to sell/let you download it later if something were to happen to your local copy. 

Physical is more ideal for sure, but not as practical anymore because of game sizes. If I could have it my way, I'd ask for studios to release the bigger games on multiple discs, but I think they are done with doing that, and would rather put a portion of a game on disc and require you to download the rest from a marketplace. Sadly that's our future when it comes to gaming. We'll still get physical games, but they won't be physical in the sense that it's all there. Just a case and maybe an insert with details and a code or something. 

On 10/29/2022 at 8:46 AM, Kane99 said:

a lot of the newer Switch games that drop with just a slip with a code to download the game. 

I buy a bunch of recently launched Switch games and I still haven’t run into that yet. Am I just incredibly lucky, or am I not buying the right games?

18 hours ago, Grungie said:

I buy a bunch of recently launched Switch games and I still haven’t run into that yet. Am I just incredibly lucky, or am I not buying the right games?

I bought Call Of Juarez: Gunslinger at Gamestop a couple years ago, and there was nothing but a download code in the box. Typically though games that only have a DDL code in the box say so on the cover.

41 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

I bought Call Of Juarez: Gunslinger at Gamestop a couple years ago, and there was nothing but a download code in the box. Typically though games that only have a DDL code in the box say so on the cover.

I know GameStop has some weird stuff like that for some reason. I remember seeing them do that for some 3DS games too for like Virtual Console titles, or even ones that had a real cartridge.

I own a pretty good sized stack of Switch games, and the only download codes are for day one editions that have special DLC. His comment does kind of read off like this is become more frequent, but it’s either some weird GameStop shit, or I’m just not buying the games that are just download codes.

On 11/2/2022 at 5:14 PM, Kane99 said:

Physical is more ideal for sure, but not as practical anymore because of game sizes. If I could have it my way, I'd ask for studios to release the bigger games on multiple discs, but I think they are done with doing that, and would rather put a portion of a game on disc and require you to download the rest from a marketplace. Sadly that's our future when it comes to gaming. We'll still get physical games, but they won't be physical in the sense that it's all there. Just a case and maybe an insert with details and a code or something. 

It's not just game sizes either - your location in the world makes it difficult to have access to certain physical copies of games particularly new ones and to import them from the US does cost quite a bit too so it's much cheaper and practical for people living in third-world countries.

Yeah, I just get digital versions these days. Part of that's because my current laptop doesn't even have a disk drive - and part of it's because it's just easier to buy games online. Even before I got this laptop, I was buying exclusively digital games for several years - and I can't see that ever changing.

I will always prefer physical copies. I like to feel like I have something tangible. A digital download doesn't make me feel like I actually OWN the game. I'll go physical every time if possible. The only downside is having the space to store all the physical games.

On 12/6/2022 at 10:46 AM, aerodynamik said:

I prefer digital because I tend to lose game cards or CD's sometimes. Or unintentionally damage them. Digital is the way to go. 🙂

Also, some physical copies of certain games are region locked so there's also that to consider...