Register Now
StaceyPowers

Have you ever built your own gaming PC?

Indeed I have. 

I studied I.C.T back in my day and fixed and put together ancient systems and LAptops. My very first build that I did was back in 2012 with GTX 680 at the time as the GTX 600 series was new and out for that time zones. Since then I update/upgrade many times to what I have and built my own rather then buying a pre-built. 

You learn and get used to things when you do it more and more over the years. 

Not yet, but I would like to with my next gaming PC. Currently my gaming PC is fine and gets the job done, but I know down the line I will need to upgrade and will probably build it from scratch this time around. I will probably use a site to guide me through the build process, but I know there are sites out there that will give you a list of compatible parts for your build, so I think I'll use that to my advantage. 

But yeah, one of these days. 

I know people who have built their gaming PCs from the ground up and as much as I would be able to build my own from the ground up, I haven't quite had the confidence to do so. From what I understand it's a lot cheaper to build a gaming PC from the ground up than it is to get it pre-built and that is one very good advantage of being able to build your own. I would love to sit and possibly try at some point possibly with someone who knew what they were doing so that I could learn and not always rely on pre-built systems.

1 hour ago, Shortie said:

I know people who have built their gaming PCs from the ground up and as much as I would be able to build my own from the ground up, I haven't quite had the confidence to do so. From what I understand it's a lot cheaper to build a gaming PC from the ground up than it is to get it pre-built and that is one very good advantage of being able to build your own. I would love to sit and possibly try at some point possibly with someone who knew what they were doing so that I could learn and not always rely on pre-built systems.

I'm the same way. I am afraid to try and build one on my own because parts are expensive and I don't want to end up doing something wrong to where I end up breaking something in the process. But I know there are some sites that will get you a list of parts suitable for what you want and you can go from there. Still though, the build process is something I would want a tech friendly person around for to make sure I don't mess anything up with my build. 😄 

On 11/3/2022 at 4:33 PM, Kane99 said:

I'm the same way. I am afraid to try and build one on my own because parts are expensive and I don't want to end up doing something wrong to where I end up breaking something in the process. But I know there are some sites that will get you a list of parts suitable for what you want and you can go from there. Still though, the build process is something I would want a tech friendly person around for to make sure I don't mess anything up with my build. 😄 

The hardest thing about building computers is the research and (if you don't have the disposable income) coughing up the money. The actual building process is really easy, and not in a "I've been doing this for several years" easy. It's building Legos, and kind of like a puzzle where if it doesn't fit, it doesn't go there, or you put it in wrong. Also don't build it on a carpet because static electricity.

On 11/3/2022 at 10:33 PM, Kane99 said:

I wouldn't worry about breaking something but I am still not very tech savvy to understand how to build my own PC.

Though I am getting into coding which is hopefully the field I want to focus on and learn every single detail about but in terms of hardware I am not that good at it.

I did about 10 years ago and that was me officially crossing over to the PC gaming community full time from consoles. It was pretty easy to be honest although if I'm being honest, I used to help out at my friend's big brother store and help to fix computers so I had learned how to build one a good while back. my gaming PC had an I7-2600 with Radeon HD 6950, still struggled to run Crysis though lol.

I have built all but my first PC myself from the grounds up.

I enjoy building PCs. I love quirky PC cases and have had several over the years. Sometimes I bought new cases just because I wanted to try their designs.

If you are even remotely tech savvy It's not hard to build a PC, just RTFM before you do it the first time and it will be fine.

That  said there is one pitfall with modern PCs installing the CPU when it has a socket that has contact pads. Those things are fragile, and it is still nerve wracking even for me who did it hundreds of times before, to not accidentally drop the cpu on the pads.

On 11/9/2022 at 11:58 PM, m76 said:

I have built all but my first PC myself from the grounds up.

I enjoy building PCs. I love quirky PC cases and have had several over the years. Sometimes I bought new cases just because I wanted to try their designs.

If you are even remotely tech savvy It's not hard to build a PC, just RTFM before you do it the first time and it will be fine.

That  said there is one pitfall with modern PCs installing the CPU when it has a socket that has contact pads. Those things are fragile, and it is still nerve wracking even for me who did it hundreds of times before, to not accidentally drop the cpu on the pads.

It all sounds fun though I have always wanted to build my own PC but I never tried it.

I would give it try I'm very sure it would be completely worth the effort.