Register Now
Tonberry

Rate the Video Game Song!

This is a fun activity that used to be really popular on an old gaming forum I used to frequent, and I think it'd be fun here on VGR as well. Who knows, you might find both forgotten classics and new favorites!

The rules are simple. All you have to do is rate the video game music from the post above yours in a reply, while you link a song of your choice for the next person to rate! And so on and so forth!  I'm thinking a 1-10 grade score is the one people are the most familiar with, and you may of course add a little comment or insight as to why you chose that particular grade, but you may rate however you wish! One reply/link per post as to avoid clutter I think would be best.

I'll kick it off with what I consider a real classic: 

Have fun!

Edited by Tonberry

6/10

Yes, I know it's a classic game and a decent tune, especially for 8-bit, but is the theme song actually that memorable? Listen to the song, do something else for a few minutes and then see if you actually remember it. You could ask anyone on the street to recite the Mario theme and they would probably get it right, but few people would be able to recite this. It's also something of a slow starter for me, but it is great when it does get going.

Here's my choice;

I know, it's a little bit of cheating as it's an adaptation of a movie theme, but I genuinely believe this is one of the very renditions of the this theme that there has ever been in any media.

Edited by Shagger

19 minutes ago, Shagger said:

6/10

Yes, I know it's a classic game and a decent tune, especially for 8-bit, but is the theme song actually that memorable? Listen to the sone, do something else for a few minutes and then see if you actually remember it. You could ask anyone on the street to recite the Mario theme and they would probably get it right, but few people would be able to recite this. It's also something of a slow starter for me, but it is great when it does get going.

Here's my choice;

I know, it's a little bit of cheating as it's an adaptation of a movie theme, but I genuinely believe this is one of the very renditions of the this theme that there has ever been in any media.

8/10..... Although I personally don't exactly clarify this as a "Video Game" song as such, It's one of the best renditions of the bond theme in my opinion.

Well I really have no idea how the next person is going to feel about this one but, that's kind of the adventure of a thread like this right?

30 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

8/10..... Although I personally don't exactly clarify this as a "Video Game" song as such, It's one of the best renditions of the bond theme in my opinion.

Well I really have no idea how the next person is going to feel about this one but, that's kind of the adventure of a thread like this right?

8/10

This one is amazing just because of how whacky it is! It's not my style of music but it's so fucking funny

Made me think of Guilty Gear, so here's my next submission:

Edited by Tonberry

On 10/30/2022 at 12:51 PM, Empire said:

Can't say much about the video above, as I have not heard about it so I have it 5/8 then 😜 

We all should know the old HAlo game back in the day right

10/10. Totally iconic, and really let you know that Halo was serious business when it released. It felt like a real "mature" and epic sci-fi game compared to most of its time where you just blasted mindlessly.

As for your comment, isn't that part of the fun in threads like these? Where we can find completely new things to listen to and thus rate? :D

Here's my next submission:

3 hours ago, Tonberry said:

10/10. Totally iconic, and really let you know that Halo was serious business when it released. It felt like a real "mature" and epic sci-fi game compared to most of its time where you just blasted mindlessly.

As for your comment, isn't that part of the fun in threads like these? Where we can find completely new things to listen to and thus rate? 😄

Here's my next submission:

I'd say a 7/10. Not too into the music myself, but it gets the job done for sure. 

Here's my choice. It's the theme for Robocop on the Gameboy. I heard it recently and it's kinda relaxing. I was going to list the Batman theme from the NES game, though I may list that later instead. 

13 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I'd say a 7/10. Not too into the music myself, but it gets the job done for sure. 

Here's my choice. It's the theme for Robocop on the Gameboy. I heard it recently and it's kinda relaxing. I was going to list the Batman theme from the NES game, though I may list that later instead. 

I would give this a 5/10

This theme song from assassin's Creed valhalla

4 hours ago, Justin11 said:

I would give this a 5/10

This theme song from assassin's Creed valhalla

7/10 - Valhalla has some really nice tunes. My personal favorite is the one that plays in Ravensthorpe.

Here's a song from Chrono Cross that always makes me happy:

21 hours ago, Tonberry said:

7/10 - Valhalla has some really nice tunes. My personal favorite is the one that plays in Ravensthorpe.

Here's a song from Chrono Cross that always makes me happy:

4/10. Not bad, but sounds rather generic.

This song from House of Fata Morgana. Sounds like a happy tune, but not really the case in context of the story if you understand the Portuguese lyrics.

19 hours ago, Akun said:

4/10. Not bad, but sounds rather generic.

This song from House of Fata Morgana. Sounds like a happy tune, but not really the case in context of the story if you understand the Portuguese lyrics.

I would give this a 5/10 rating as well though I haven't played the video game but the theme song doesn't give me that jingle that suggests I'm in for some action.

The dragon Ball z Budokai theme song  inspires you to action and keep your fingers moving rapidly while you fight.

Edited by Justin11

1 minute ago, Justin11 said:

I would give this a 5/10 rating as well though I haven't played the video game but the theme song doesn't give me that jingle that's suggest I'm in for some action.

The dragon Ball z Budokai theme song gives you the inspires you to action and keep your fingers moving rapidly while you fight.

lol That's because it's not an action game; it's a tragedy visual novel.

^ 7/10. It's a nice series of beats, especially the 2nd song, but I don't like Dragonball.

The Connor theme from Detroit: Become Human. This always gets me going and heart pumping.

5 minutes ago, Akun said:

lol That's because it's not an action game; it's a tragedy visual novel.

^ 7/10. It's a nice series of beats, especially the 2nd song, but I don't like Dragonball.

The Connor theme from Detroit: Become Human. This always gets me going and heart pumping.

I was already wondering why it sounds so dull that theme song is okay for a tragedy visual novel since there's absolutely  nothing to be happy about.

Detroit: become human is a good one 7/10 rating.

The red dead redemption 2  soundtrack which keeps you feeling like a badass while you go on an adventure across The lands.

10 minutes ago, Justin11 said:

I was already wondering why it sounds so dull that theme song is okay for a tragedy visual novel since there's absolutely  nothing to be happy about.

Detroit: become human is a good one 7/10 rating.

The red dead redemption 2  soundtrack which keeps you feeling like a badass while you go on an adventure across The lands.

7/10. It's good, even with my disinterest in the wild west.

One of the best gym battle themes in the Pokémon franchise IMO. Listen till the bridge at the 4:12 mark of the video for the full awesomeness.

Edited by Akun

5 hours ago, Akun said:

7/10. It's good, even with my disinterest in the wild west.

One of the best gym battle themes in the Pokémon franchise IMO. Listen till the bridge at the 4:12 mark of the video for the full awesomeness.

3/10  Not my cup of tea I'm afraid.  It's got the same problem a lot of this type of Club House music has, to many repeating bars.  In most genre's a composer will repeat for perhaps  4 -8 bars then change it up.  This type of thing will go to 12 - 16 bars, sometimes more and for whatever reason that just has always gated my teeth.  Even if I like the melody hearing the same thing repeat that much drives me nuts.  I can tolerate more during gameplay but the gameplay serves as a distraction and this is far from the worst example, but I generally just find it lazy and annoying. it's not for me.

I will state for the record that this game was a massive disappointment for me, but one the the few rings I thought was cool was the main menu theme "The Gravewalker".  I especially the inclusion of the "One Ring" phrase towards the end: