Register Now
Tonberry

Rate the Video Game Song!

2 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

3/10  Not my cup of tea I'm afraid.  It's got the same problem a lot of this type of Club House music has, to many repeating bars.  In most genre's a composer will repeat for perhaps  4 -8 bars then change it up.  This type of thing will go to 12 - 16 bars, sometimes more and for whatever reason that just has always gated my teeth.  Even if I like the melody hearing the same thing repeat that much drives me nuts.  I can tolerate more during gameplay but the gameplay serves as a distraction and this is far from the worst example, but I generally just find it lazy and annoying. it's not for me.

I will state for the record that this game was a massive disappointment for me, but one the the few rings I thought was cool was the main menu theme "The Gravewalker".  I especially the inclusion of the "One Ring" phrase towards the end:

7/10 - I really love those heavy strings thoghout the song. Gives me Rohan and Witcher vibes. The chanting is also really powerful and fits the setting of the game very well. The game was also a huge disappointment for me, as a huge Ring-head it just fell completely flat.

(So happy this thread is gaining some momentum! Really nice to see everyone's submissions and thoughts so far!)

PS: Regarding your thoughs on the Pokémon song you rated, it might be nice to know that in-game, the song is actually dynamic and changes based on what happens in the battle, I definitely don't recall it sounding as rigid as that version! :)

My next submission is this mastapiece from Mario Kart 8

Edited by Tonberry

1 hour ago, Tonberry said:

7/10 - I really love those heavy strings thoghout the song. Gives me Rohan and Witcher vibes. The chanting is also really powerful and fits the setting of the game very well. The game was also a huge disappointment for me, as a huge Ring-head it just fell completely flat.

(So happy this thread is gaining some momentum! Really nice to see everyone's submissions and thoughts so far!)

PS: Regarding your thoughs on the Pokémon song you rated, it might be nice to know that in-game, the song is actually dynamic and changes based on what happens in the battle, I definitely don't recall it sounding as rigid as that version! 🙂

My next submission is this mastapiece from Mario Kart 8

Mario kart 8 is one of my favorite Mario kart games and this sound track is quite exciting to listen to - 6/10

Mass effect 3 is an epic video game and this sound track completely commensurate the story.

On 11/3/2022 at 4:16 PM, Justin11 said:

Mario kart 8 is one of my favorite Mario kart games and this sound track is quite exciting to listen to - 6/10

Mass effect 3 is an epic video game and this sound track completely commensurate the story.

6/10 - I'm not a huge fan of those blaring foghorns, but it does indeed invoke an epic feeling. I always liked the theme to the first game the most, personally!

I haven't even played this game but I heard the theme at a concert and fell in love, but I won't cheat so I'll post the original version. (If you like it I strongly recommend looking up the version made by the Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra from the video game music concert "Score")

Edited by Tonberry

On 11/2/2022 at 11:57 PM, Justin11 said:

I was already wondering why it sounds so dull that theme song is okay for a tragedy visual novel since there's absolutely  nothing to be happy about.

Detroit: become human is a good one 7/10 rating.

The red dead redemption 2  soundtrack which keeps you feeling like a badass while you go on an adventure across The lands.

Where is this song played in RDR2? I play that game almost nonstop and I can't say I've heard it.

That said I give AC Black Flag a 9/10. It so soothing and relaxing. I can see people listening to this when they go to bed. I would give it a 10/10, but I haven't played it so I don't feel that I can warrant a perfect score.

Edited by The Blackangel

10 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Where is this song played in RDR2? I play that game almost nonstop and I can't say I've heard it.

It's played during the last mission I believe. I think the beginning portion is from a RDR1 song, but I am not 100% sure. I may be wrong, but I thought it was to tie RDR2 into RDR1, to move on to John as the playable character. 

I'd give the Megaman 3 theme a 7/10 for being an iconic game as well as a well-known theme.

That said, One of my favorites is the original Metal Gear Solid alert theme song for the PS1. A very iconic one for a lot of fans of the series - this is the game that got me into MG in the first place.

On 11/11/2022 at 12:46 PM, Justin11 said:

I would give this a 8/10 rating, the sound at the beginning was epic.

The Forza horizon 5 sound track is truly awesome as well, what do y'all think?

9/10 - Fantastic, and really sells the feeling for the region super well!

Here's the theme to one of my favourite games of all time, Mafia 2. Suspenseful and emotional stuff.

8 hours ago, Tonberry said:

Isn't this film music? This thread is for rating video game music.

Correct, and that's why I'm removing his post (This does mean editing your post as well @Tonberry, I hope you don't mind). This is @Justin11 posting a reply without paying attention to what the topic is, something that happens a lot for him and it's been getting worse recently.

@Justin11, I can't say anything to you I haven't already said in my numerous PM's and warnings before, that's why I'm doing this on the public forum this time, see if that makes a difference. Start paying attention to what you post, you know, like when people do when the actually care about what the post, or you will no longer be allowed to post on VGR at all.

Edited by Shagger

On 11/23/2022 at 12:35 PM, Tonberry said:

9/10 - Fantastic, and really sells the feeling for the region super well!

Here's the theme to one of my favourite games of all time, Mafia 2. Suspenseful and emotional stuff.

Getting back on topic.

6/10 I get what you're saying about it, it's good theme, just that memorable to me. Honestly, I think it may have worked better as a movie theme because it's one of those musical pieces that would help set a mood during opening credits to lead onto the firsts scene, but in a game the first thing you come across is the main title screen and menu, something you're busy on and will probable blast past in few moments with really letting the music do it's thing. A nice piece of music, but not great for a game, even a game as story heavy as Mafia II.

1 hour ago, Shagger said:

Getting back on topic.

6/10 I get what you're saying about it, it's good theme, just that memorable to me. Honestly, I think it may have worked better as a movie theme because it's one of those musical pieces that would help set a mood during opening credits to lead onto the firsts scene, but in a game the first thing you come across is the main title screen and menu, something you're busy on and will probable blast past in few moments with really letting the music do it's thing. A nice piece of music, but not great for a game, even a game as story heavy as Mafia II.

You forgot to share one for yourself! But that's alright, I'll just continue with another one to keep it rolling :)
I haven't actually played this game myself, but I quite like the music!

22 minutes ago, Tonberry said:

You forgot to share one for yourself! But that's alright, I'll just continue with another one to keep it rolling :)
I haven't actually played this game myself, but I quite like the music!

Pretty epic diddy right there. :D I'd say a 7/10 for me. Not something I really get into, but I get why it's liked, it's a good track. 

And one of my all time favorite tracks from one of my favorite tracks. Mmm, so damn good! Once it sets in, I'm brought back to playing that classic. Honestly surprised it hasn't been posted here yet. It's also really relaxing. 

Edited by Kane99

5 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

Pretty epic diddy right there. :D I'd say a 7/10 for me. Not something I really get into, but I get why it's liked, it's a good track. 

And one of my all time favorite tracks from one of my favorite tracks. Mmm, so damn good! Once it sets in, I'm brought back to playing that classic. Honestly surprised it hasn't been posted here yet. It's also really relaxing. 

10/10 - Just an absolute classic! Masterpiece even. I love the DKC music aswell but Aquatic Ambiance is just immortal.

Here's something on the exact opposite end of the stage bgm spectrum. It even manage to make an elevator stage feel awesome:

17 hours ago, Tonberry said:

10/10 - Just an absolute classic! Masterpiece even. I love the DKC music aswell but Aquatic Ambiance is just immortal.

Here's something on the exact opposite end of the stage bgm spectrum. It even manage to make an elevator stage feel awesome:

Right, it's so good. As for your song, not a huge fan of Megaman myself, but this is a great jam. I'm going to see if this is available on spotify. I'd say an 8/10 for me. 

I have to go with the theme of Snake Eater for my next pick. I really get that 007 vibe from it. It also fits with the timeframe of the game too.