Register Now
Moonface

Have You Ever Been Scared Watching a Game?

I figure that asking about playing a scary game and if it scares you is a rather standard thing to ask about horror games, so I thought I'd put a little twist on it with asking if anyone has ever been scared by a game that they watched someone else play instead. 😛

I've not been scared by many horror games just from watching someone else play them, but one that does stand out to me is Alien: Isolation. I've never played it but I have watched a full playthrough of it by two different people on YouTube and both times it has got me really on edge as if I was the one holding the controller. I think it's because unlike most games, even when you go back into A:I knowing the game you will never know what the alien is doing due to the adaptive AI it has and that it isn't scripted to show up like enemies are in practically all other horror games. You can know the levels, the regular enemies, etc. but you'll never know when and where the alien will show up, which I think is what manages to get to me despite not playing myself because I can't be prepared for a scare or appearance from the alien. XD

Watching someone else play is not an issue. I can handle horror movies and can handle watching others play horror games. When it comes to playing horror games it's a bit different. I can watch someone play Outlast for example, but playing it myself I can't do it. I think for me, it's because I can'd defend myself, and I hate games where you have to play hide and seek essentially. 

But if it has combat that's easy to get into, like with Alan Wake, I won't have a problem with it. 

I rarely get scared by playing video games. Still I remember one occasion when I almost had a heart attack. It was in "Clive Barker's Undying", and though the game was supposed to be horror I wasn't scared at all throughout. But a few levels before the game ends, you were supposed to go search for some witch.

Watching someone play a horror game I can't say I have every been scared, I feel it's different when you watch someone over playing the game yourself. I have played a few horror games myself in the past that I have actually been jump scared by quite a few times, Emily Wants to Play was one of them but when I have watched friends play the same game even before I played it myself, I never found myself scared in any way at all. It's a different experience playing a horror game than it is actually watching it.

1 hour ago, Shortie said:

Watching someone play a horror game I can't say I have every been scared, I feel it's different when you watch someone over playing the game yourself. I have played a few horror games myself in the past that I have actually been jump scared by quite a few times, Emily Wants to Play was one of them but when I have watched friends play the same game even before I played it myself, I never found myself scared in any way at all. It's a different experience playing a horror game than it is actually watching it.

I think it's being in control of the game that really does it. Because to be honest, I have outright stopped playing games because of how some of them control. Like for Silent Hill 2. A game I really like, but never beat because of how annoying the controls are, which in turn makes it difficult. But the atmosphere in that game is so damn epic, I love it. And now the remaster is coming with probably better controls, so I'm not too worried about playing that one. 

Also, when you're in control of a horror game, it's almost like you're in it. That's kinda how it feels. 

On 11/8/2022 at 4:37 AM, Justin11 said:

Terrifying. Lol

Wait until you play play amnesia :the dark descent.

Well im bad at horror games, i know that Amnesia game and better had to watch those streamer play the game. I'm too easily jumpscared by something that suddenly appears in front of my face.

On 11/9/2022 at 9:14 AM, RedRainStudio said:

Well im bad at horror games, i know that Amnesia game and better had to watch those streamer play the game. I'm too easily jumpscared by something that suddenly appears in front of my face.

That's understandable, everyone has different reactions to Certain video games and video game genre.

On 11/3/2022 at 9:28 PM, Kane99 said:

I think it's being in control of the game that really does it. Because to be honest, I have outright stopped playing games because of how some of them control. Like for Silent Hill 2. A game I really like, but never beat because of how annoying the controls are, which in turn makes it difficult. But the atmosphere in that game is so damn epic, I love it. And now the remaster is coming with probably better controls, so I'm not too worried about playing that one. 

Also, when you're in control of a horror game, it's almost like you're in it. That's kinda how it feels. 

I agree, you become submerged in the game, and you get into that game, and it does become like your surroundings and that is where it catches you out and you get the jumps. Don't get me wrong I love to get fully submerged into a game, it's one of the reasons I love gaming but when it comes to those jump scares, it's a whole different story. I admire the people who can sit with a headset on, in the dark on these games because I wouldn't be able to do it with my anxiety.

14 hours ago, Shortie said:

I agree, you become submerged in the game, and you get into that game, and it does become like your surroundings and that is where it catches you out and you get the jumps. Don't get me wrong I love to get fully submerged into a game, it's one of the reasons I love gaming but when it comes to those jump scares, it's a whole different story. I admire the people who can sit with a headset on, in the dark on these games because I wouldn't be able to do it with my anxiety.

I was a bit scared of horror games as a kid when I watched my older siblings play horror Games like resident evil and I wasn't allowed to play at the point, when I started playing horror video games I have already been watching it for a while and already used to the whole thing.