Register Now
Kane99

Up to 4.78M accounts suspended by Xbox in just six months

In just six months, Xbox has suspended up to 4.78 million accounts on Xbox live. It looks like their suspensions have gone up in recent years, the article below shows a big change in those suspended than the past few years. A lot of the suspensions are due to sexual content being shared, fraud, harassment or bullying, and so on. 

Makes you wonder if there are any accidental suspensions mixed in. Now I'm curious to know how many accounts were outright banned. 

More details here: https://www.theverge.com/2022/11/14/23457595/xbox-transparency-report-player-account-suspension

If it's for racial and/or homophobic slurs, it's not nearly enough. Honestly, I think the amount of "accidental" bans will be at a minimum if you are in tune with reality. Calling somebody a "fa**ot", a "ni**er" or whatever is not any more more OK online than it is in real life. Nor is is OK for people to make inappropriate comments that we all happen the time toward girls and woman online that are sexual in nature. If you're not mature enough of play games online with a mature attitude, you're not old enough to play games online. And if you're in you 30's or +, that's just makes it more embarrassing for you.

Grow. The. Fuck. Up.

Edited by Shagger

3 minutes ago, Justin11 said:

The number if suspended accounts is quite high and makes me wonder if all of the suspended violated Xbox terms and conditions.

Well , this would certainly help to save guard the Xbox community from nuisance.

@Justin11, I don't get you. OBVIOUSLY they violated Xbox's terms and conditions, otherwise they wouldn't be banned. That's like pondering if somebody got banned from driving for violating driving laws. Just so you know, It's not okay to kill people, because that would violate laws about killing people. What you do is state, or re-state, the blatantly obvious because a comment with any indigenous thought or personality would be more effort than it's worth and it's annoying. If you have nothing to say, then why not say nothing?

This for reference, this is what a comment that has had thought and care put into it looks like. Whether or not all the suspended accounts should have been banned comes  down to looking at individual circumstance, but don't expect anyone who were banned for using slurs or harassing anyone to get any sympathy from me. Anyone reading this thread who has played on Xbox live, played games online or simply read thier community standards or just behave like a civilised human being on Xbox live will know the minimum standard expected is and wouldn't trip over the line by accident. Xbox live is full of petulant cowards who think that the screen they stare though would hide them form the consequences of what they say. So good on you Xbox, keep it up.

Now, if people do get banned for nothing, I would take up my pitchfork and torch and fight for them, I really would, but they will be in the vast minority of those 4.78 million accounts.

2 minutes ago, Shagger said:

, I don't get you. OBVIOUSLY they violated Xbox's terms and conditions, otherwise they wouldn't be banned. That's like pondering if somebody got banned from driving for violating driving laws. Just so you know, It's not okay to kill people, because that would violate laws about killing people. What you do is state, or re-state, the blatantly obvious because a comment with any indigenous thought or personality would be more effort than it's worth and it's annoying. If you have nothing to say, then why not say nothing?

They can't always have  one hundred percent justifiable suspension or Bans, sometime they could suspend an account which hasn't violated a delicate terms and conditions  worthy of suspension.

This same scenario happened with a microfinance company over here where individuals had their account unjustly suspended but on appealing to the Customer service their case were deliberated upon again and weren't found defaulting any rule Worthy of been suspended.

1 hour ago, Shagger said:

If it's for racial and/or homophobic slurs, it's not nearly enough. Honestly, I think the amount of "accidental" bans will be at a minimum if you are in tune with reality. Calling somebody a "fa**ot", a "ni**er" or whatever is any more more OK online than it is in real life. Nor is is OK for people to make inappropriate comments that we all happen the time toward girls and woman online that are sexual in nature. If you're not mature enough of play games online with a mature attitude, you're not old enough to play games online. And if you're in you 30's or +, that's just makes it more embarrassing for you.

Grow. The. Fuck. Up.

I can see a lot of suspensions being for those very reasons. Sadly public lobbies from what I hear are pretty much the same. Thankfully it makes life easier having mute and block features. Life savers right there. I also make sure to report anyone using slurs and hateful speech if I catch it happening in a lobby I am in. 

Now I'm curious to know how many accounts they banned. 

37 minutes ago, Justin11 said:

The number if suspended accounts is quite high and makes me wonder if all of the suspended violated Xbox terms and conditions.

Well , this would certainly help to save guard the Xbox community from nuisance.

Most do. It's kinda rare that any users are banned by mistake. It has happened, but usually they ban you after having definite proof of wrongdoing. I used to report a lot of people on Xbox 360 back in the day, so much that Xbox sent a thank you note to me on Xbox live a couple times lol. If you have an offensive name, profile, say anything offensive, it's easy to file a report against someone. And I imagine Xbox has a way to see exactly what a user does on Xbox live and in games. 

They can't always have  one hundred percent justifiable suspension or Bans, sometime they could suspend an account which hasn't violated a delicate terms and conditions  worthy of suspension.

This same scenario happened with a microfinance company over here where individuals had their account unjustly suspended but on appealing to the Customer service their case were deliberated upon again and weren't found defaulting any rule Worthy of been suspended.

Like I said in my point above, most bans/suspensions are investigated before they are finalized. It's very rare that anyone banned or suspended, was by accident or mistake. Most bans/suspensions are thoroughly investigated I hear. Some mistakes do happen, but most are legit and warranted from what I hear. 

You can fight the case with Xbox when a ban/suspension happens, but for the most part, they never lift them. 

Edited by Kane99

4 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

I can see a lot of suspensions being for those very reasons. Sadly public lobbies from what I hear are pretty much the same. Thankfully it makes life easier having mute and block features. Life savers right there. I also make sure to report anyone using slurs and hateful speech if I catch it happening in a lobby I am in. 

Now I'm curious to know how many accounts they banned. 

Most do. It's kinda rare that any users are banned by mistake. It has happened, but usually they ban you after having definite proof of wrongdoing. I used to report a lot of people on Xbox 360 back in the day, so much that Xbox sent a thank you note to me on Xbox live a couple times lol. If you have an offensive name, profile, say anything offensive, it's easy to file a report against someone. And I imagine Xbox has a way to see exactly what a user does on Xbox live and in games. 

Like I said in my point above, most bans/suspensions are investigated before they are finalized. It's very rare that anyone banned or suspended, was by accident or mistake. Most bans/suspensions are thoroughly investigated I hear. Some mistakes do happen, but most are legit and warranted from what I hear. 

You can fight the case with Xbox when a ban/suspension happens, but for the most part, they never lift them. 

That's actually verifiable and  the amount of unjustly Banned individuals is minimal but that doesn't mean they aren't included. 

if a ban was unjustly given the accounts could be reverted if the affected individual reports the incidence to the appropriate complaint department in the company in some cases.

4 minutes ago, Justin11 said:

That's actually verifiable and  the amount of unjustly Banned individuals is minimal but that doesn't mean they aren't included. 

if a ban was unjustly given the accounts could be reverted if the affected individual reports the incidence to the appropriate complaint department in the company in some cases.

Of course. There is probably a small portion of those 4+ million suspended who did nothing wrong, but the point was that it's a small amount and very rare compared to the amount of legit bans/suspensions out there. That was my point. 

They don't ban an account just for anything, they investigate each account and decide on the appropriate action. And even so, some of those saying they did nothing wrong, also find later that they did do something, but it was something they did years ago. So it's possible some forget what they did originally to receive the ban. Which happens all the time. I know, I looked at the Xbox forums back in the day. 

I know Xbox users can go to the xbox forums and air their displeasure with being banned, and the Xbox team would answer what that user did wrong. I don't know if they still do that anymore though. 

6 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Of course. There is probably a small portion of those 4+ million suspended who did nothing wrong, but the point was that it's a small amount and very rare compared to the amount of legit bans/suspensions out there. That was my point. 

They don't ban an account just for anything, they investigate each account and decide on the appropriate action. And even so, some of those saying they did nothing wrong, also find later that they did do something, but it was something they did years ago. So it's possible some forget what they did originally to receive the ban. Which happens all the time. I know, I looked at the Xbox forums back in the day. 

I know Xbox users can go to the xbox forums and air their displeasure with being banned, and the Xbox team would answer what that user did wrong. I don't know if they still do that anymore though. 

I get your point and that's exactly how most accounts that got banned were investigated before the Xbox team or whatever that's incharge of the process would mark out an account for suspension.

This is good news but is there any other way to confirm the information Xbox is putting out is very accurate and not simply fudging the numbers. Before anyone misunderstands my line of reasoning, I'm basically saying is there an independent third party can confirm that these figures from the transparency report are actually what's reported and not just putting out some impressive figures just to gain social points.