Register Now
StaceyPowers

Open world games that don’t direct you blatantly toward goals?

I think in most open-world games nowadays, you're able to remove the trackers to an extent. But as far as where it's not displayed at all, or to a very limited degree here are a few off the top of my head.

Zelda - Breath of the Wild. There are small pips on the map for certain quests, but they're very limited.
Elder Scrolls 3 - Morrowind. You have to read the questlog and decipher the directions to a place as instructed by the questgivers. Quite immersive, actually.
Sea of Thieves. You have to either decipher maps of islands or read clues on notes, or simply know the geography to know where you need to go.
Assassin's Creed Odyssey/Valhalla. You still see points of interests on the map, but there's a setting where, when on a quest, you'll get simple hints instead of being shown exactly where to go. I quite like this system. Instead of stuff like showing you a trail to a house by a waterfall the questlog might say something like "They can be found in a cottage by a waterfall to the northeast of Jorvik".

I'm honestly not sure. Most of the open world games I have played, always utilize the waypoint system or have markers on the map for important locations. I'm not saying there isn't any games like that, but I'm having a hard time of thinking of them, because most open world games try to guide you to many interests along with the main story. 

I can't really state any though because most of the open world video games I have played all had a definite map that leads you to where they need you to be , unless the map is made hidden so that you could figure it out and then use the map you found to reach the goal of that level.