Register Now
Kane99

People are still using ARMA 3 to fake war footage

There was recent reports that Russian tanks were struck by US-supplied missiles in Ukraine, but it turns out the footage was just clips stolen from the military game ARMA 3. This isn't the first time this has happend, as a while back, even I remember seeing some clips on tiktok that were trying to be footage of the Russian/Ukraine conflict that turned out to be using ARMA 3 clips. 

It's similar to that time when a news outlet shared footage of a plane crashing on a runway, which turned out to be footage from GTA V. And another time someone sent in photos taken in RDR2 as real nature photography and the news aired it.

And I can see this happening more and more to spread fake news, especially with how realistic games have become over the years. 

Story here - https://news.yahoo.com/video-game-clip-falsely-shared-070732048.html 

Moderator Edit: I'm adding a new link to another article from Reuters.com on this story as it appears the Yahoo article linked in this OP has removed.

https://www.reuters.com/article/factcheck-arma-3-ukraine-idUSL1N31J1L5

Edited by Shagger

I do believe there are more cases of that. Not just from Turkey. What's baffling is the fact that the footage is clearly from a video game. Like the graphics weren't turned up, there were no visual effects mods to make the explosions more realistic or stylized camera work like OP posted. It just shows low res gameplay. Have they never seen a video game?

This is quite sad how people to exploit the war to make some silly trend on social media disregarding that innocent lives have been lost and several others displaced because of the effect of this war.

I just hope humanity would be better and let's all just learn to be more loving and less selfish.

On 11/27/2022 at 11:16 PM, killamch89 said:

How does it even work? I mean Arma 3's graphics are mediocre at best - How can anybody mistake that for actual war footage? The animations of the characters in-game are a dead giveaway - they're so robotic and unrealistic.

People tend to believe most or everything they see on TV and would immediately fall for such gimmicks.

This is just outrageous and instead of promoting peace they are trying to exploit the war.

On 12/2/2022 at 1:56 AM, Justin11 said:

People tend to believe most or everything they see on TV and would immediately fall for such gimmicks.

This is just outrageous and instead of promoting peace they are trying to exploit the war.

You're right - most of the people on social media are absolutely brain-dead so they'll believe ANYTHING. That's why Flat Earthers are more prominent.

This does not surprise me at all. The lengths that people will go to just to try and cause trouble is just ridiculous if I am honest and something like this is lucky that it gets checked like it does because the consequences could have been fatal if they were not checked especially with something as serious as this. It won't be the last time though if I am honest and I would expect to see more of this as time goes on. 

Yeah trolls get their kicks out of the attention so the more attention it gets the better it is for them no matter the consequences for others. No matter how much you tell people though that not go give in to the trolls, people still will and things like this will always keep going and will always get the reaction they do. 

@Kane99, the link you posted in the OP doesn't work. It now redirects to the yahoo homepage. I assume that means the original article has been removed. I've edited your opening post to include another article I found on the story, but I've kept in the original link so people know whare you linked it from.

Onto the topic.

I don't mean to turn this into a political debate, but why am I not shocked that it's people clearly sympathizing with Russia  being responsible for this?

On 12/19/2022 at 12:28 AM, Shortie said:

Yeah trolls get their kicks out of the attention so the more attention it gets the better it is for them no matter the consequences for others. No matter how much you tell people though that not go give in to the trolls, people still will and things like this will always keep going and will always get the reaction they do. 

And this is exactly why it is pisses me off. Whether that was the goal or not is pen to debate, this act of "trolling" could have been the spark to trigger world war three. Thankfully, the rest of the world is not as stupid as they are (Although, just barely, and that's worrying.) and didn't fall for it. Social media platforms have removed the original video (understandably), but that so called media outlets thought it was real footage when it came from what is a pretty old game at this point is embarrassing.

Edited by Shagger

22 hours ago, Smokey said:

Not surprising. It's unreal how many fall for it though. If people weren't falling for it and it wasn't getting so much attention, trolls wouldn't do it. 

With the kinds of people I see on social media, I'm not surprised they fell for this. I mean, they'll follow some of the dumbest challenges on the internet such as the crate challenge so they'll believe anything.