Register Now
Kane99

Sonic co-creator Yuji Naka arrested for possible Insider Trading

Sad to see a veteran developer doing something shady, but I'm sure many people in power at these game companies have done some shady stuff. I'm pretty sure some people who worked at Activision, Ubisoft and EA have done far worse. This is alleged to have taken place in Japan. 

Yuji Naka is also the developer of Phantasy Star, and ChuChu Rocket. Anyway, it is alleged that he and two other Square Enix employees invested in Square Enix stock in preperation for the game Dragon Quest Tact. 

From the article:

He allegedly bought 10,000 shares in developer Aiming, at a value of around $20,000, ahead of it announcing the Dragon Quest Tact mobile game in partnership with Square Enix. The other employees arrested, Taisuke Sazaki and Fumiaki Suzuki, allegedly purchased a combined total of 162,000 shares at a value of around $337,250. Sazaki is also alleged to have informed Naki and Suzuki about the potential rise in value.

You can read more on this story here - https://uproxx.com/edge/yuji-naka-arrested-insider-trading-square-enix/

A little update to this news, looks like there's more to the story. Yuji Naka, has since been charged with insider trading for Illegally Trading Over $1 Million In Final Fantasy Stock. Link below with more details: 

https://kotaku.com/sonic-square-enix-final-fantasy-dragon-quest-stock-1849935301

The total comes out close to around $1,080,000. 

He has gone too far. He couldn't be happy being a legend in the gaming industry, so he decided to be greedy. Insider trading is a federal crime here in the states if I remember correctly. He can lose his license to produce games, and lose his job in the industry. And when it gets around about him doing this, no other company will hire him. Unless he becomes a shadow employee. Even then, he would suffer a major pay cut. So all the money he embezzled from this would have to go to not only fines from the FTC, but to get him out of debt and living a very modest life.

He screwed himself. It's that damn simple. Some criminals are pure idiots. Others a re pure genius (zodiac) and never get caught. It's sad.

On 1/5/2023 at 7:35 PM, Kane99 said:

A little update to this news, looks like there's more to the story. Yuji Naka, has since been charged with insider trading for Illegally Trading Over $1 Million In Final Fantasy Stock. Link below with more details: 

https://kotaku.com/sonic-square-enix-final-fantasy-dragon-quest-stock-1849935301

The total comes out close to around $1,080,000. 

He should've known better as he'll be locked away for a good amount of time as it's a serious crime in Japan. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the length of time he could face is minimum 5 years.