Register Now
DC

Miracles

9 minutes ago, DC said:

Miracles are acts that cannot be explained by nature or science.

That would constitute a miracle, but that has never actually happened.  The "miracles" that we have been able observe are event's that have occurred despite overwhelming odds but we're never statistically impossible.  Even if there was a situation that cannot be explained by conventional science it's far more likely that there wasn't enough data or understanding to explain it.  In short, just because we can't explain it doesn't mean there's no explanation.

So no, I don't believe believe in miracles. Like the existence of God, It's one of those hypothesis that can never be proven or disproven.  The one presenting the idea is the one with the burden of proof.  In this case, again like God, it simply can't be done.

There's no such thing as "miracles". There's good fortune, good luck, and coincidence. But as for a divine miracle, that's pure myth. As @Crazycrab said, the burden of proof is on the one pushing the idea. So far, as far as I know, no one has ever been capable of proving it.

Edited by The Blackangel

I believe the Big Bang theory is a miracle. Even if the theory isn’t exact, so what. It’s a miracle how we are the perfect distance from the sun, have gravity and ozone layer, caught in rotation for seasons and have enough elements to sustain life. To me that is all complete randomness, which makes it a miracle that it even happened the way it did. We don’t know how big the universe is so maybe this isn’t even a rare event. Our lack of knowledge makes it look like a miracle. And others try to make sense of it by believing in supernatural entities. Their miracle would be a gift from God, my miracle would be perfect randomness. 

We often joke that it would take a miracle for something to happen and usually, no miracle ever happens. As much as I would love miracles to happen, I don't believe they ever do and I believe when something does happen it is more luck than a miracle. 

Some people tend to get really lucky, sometimes wish I had the same luck as some people.