Register Now
DC

Is Christmas a religious day for you?

Even when I was growing up with my parents, I only remembered it as a day to stuff my stomach with all kinds of food - as a matter of fact, I still do. In Christianity, it's the day that they claimed Jesus Christ was born but most of the Christians I knew growing up only cared about the food.

It was never about religion for me, just about getting together with friends and family and giving presents. We have a tree every year, but not for of any kind of symbolism, just because it looks nice.

I was expelled from religious class for mocking the whole thing when I was 8.

On 12/5/2022 at 5:07 PM, m76 said:

It was never about religion for me, just about getting together with friends and family and giving presents. We have a tree every year, but not for of any kind of symbolism, just because it looks nice.

I was expelled from religious class for mocking the whole thing when I was 8.

To be fair, I always found religion to be hogwash - I mean most of them always preach about judgment day but the question that needs to be answered is which God turns up in which part of the world. I mean does Jesus turn up in Jamaican since Christianity is the dominant religion or does Allah turn up in Iraq since Islam is the dominant religion? 

Not for me or my family. We get together and enjoy the company of each other and trade gifts and the usual stuff. We always celebrated certain aspects of it in Swedish culture in a religious way though. There's a really old tradition called Lucia that's been around forever, kind of a procession, where people (it is very common in almost every school, but there are televised events with adults aswell) dress in white gowns and wear a crown of candles on their heads, and then they proceed to sing carols like Silent Night, but also a few, maybe less christmasy, hymns aswell. Sweden is not a particularly religious country in general, but many look to these events fondly as it's just simply quite comfy to celebrate and to sort of make the entire month of december have a christmas-y feel.

I found a nice article if anyone would be interested in learning more:
https://sweden.se/culture/celebrations/the-lucia-tradition

On 12/21/2022 at 12:05 PM, Tonberry said:

Not for me or my family. We get together and enjoy the company of each other and trade gifts and the usual stuff. We always celebrated certain aspects of it in Swedish culture in a religious way though. There's a really old tradition called Lucia that's been around forever, kind of a procession, where people (it is very common in almost every school, but there are televised events with adults aswell) dress in white gowns and wear a crown of candles on their heads, and then they proceed to sing carols like Silent Night, but also a few, maybe less christmasy, hymns aswell. Sweden is not a particularly religious country in general, but many look to these events fondly as it's just simply quite comfy to celebrate and to sort of make the entire month of december have a christmas-y feel.

I found a nice article if anyone would be interested in learning more:
https://sweden.se/culture/celebrations/the-lucia-tradition

That's pretty creative - do they light the candles on the crown?

On 12/23/2022 at 2:35 AM, killamch89 said:

That's pretty creative - do they light the candles on the crown?

They do! It sounds risky at first but there really isn't anything to worry about. The candles are often really tall aswell.
Here's a video of a recent procession I found on Youtube, I've timestamped the part where "Lucia" enters and you can see the candles. :)

Merry christmas!

Christmas is not what I would say is a religious day for me. We celebrate by getting together with the family and having fun and just enjoying the day. 

I do know there are many who tend to go to church and such on Christmas Eve and tend to celebrate religiously on the day.