Register Now
Techno

Games without bosses

I honestly don't think I can think of any action games that don't have bosses in them somewhere. Even as far back as Sonic and Mario you would always run into a boss at some point that you had to take out before you could progress further in the game, the difference there though was that way back you would be limited to how many lives you had making it more difficult.

Wow that's a tough one to answer honestly. To be fair, you can play Minecraft without having to face any bosses. I just build and don't worry about any of the bosses. I'm sure there is something else we're forgetting, but nothing is coming up in my head. You can skip bosses in Deus Ex: Human Revolution I believe, or you can go all the way through using stealth, at least that's what I recall hearing. 

Other than that, no other came is coming to mind, that also has no bosses. 

Dying Light has some horrible boss fights, for example the final boss is just like 4 QTEs, which if failed will still continue the cutscene like nothing happened for like 3 seconds with little blood smear filter on until it kicks you to you died, menu. For such an otherwise good game it's almost offensive how bad it is. Just think having NO boss in that case if games like that or any games had no bosses

RDR2 doesn’t have any kind of bosses. Sure, there’s story events where you’re in big gun battles. But there’s no kind of “boss” anywhere in the game. Thinking about it, aren’t most, if not all, open world games like that? No bosses?

Also racing and sports games, including the goofier ones like Mario Kart. There’s no boss. You just have to hope to be faster, or score more points than your opponent(s) to win.

Puzzle games like Myst and Riven are another.

One that I play that doesn’t really have any kind of boss, per se, is Hatred. You’re the bad guy in the game, and while you’re killing everyone you can find, the cops are always trying to stop you. But you don’t have any boss there.

There’s quite a lot of games that have no boss to speak of. Granted, the vast majority of games are boss based. It’s a time tested formula that works, so the gaming industry sticks with it. And there’s nothing wrong with that.

Stray doesn't feature any bosses at all, which makes sense given there isn't any combat in the game. Alien: Isolation also has no boss fight, despite having combat. Hitman also doesn't have them.

Generally I'd say there's plenty of games that don't have them, and usually it's because they just wouldn't fit into the gameplay. I can't think of a game where a boss would work but isn't present.