Register Now
Shagger

So, we watched Wednesday on Netflix..

wenesday.thumb.png.5c9ae44eb56bd48ea4a224af1c164b1a.png

And it was great, actually. They created a fun, gothic story with some real, legitimate drama, superb acting from pretty much everyone and they really nailed the sardonic sense of humour perfectly. The really nailed the main character and brough her bang up to date by very cleverly leaving Wednesday herself stuck in the past. Jenna Ortega plays Wednesday exactly as we know and love her with her quite and sarcastic, yet slightly menacing and creepy demurer. The show also isn't afraid to get a little bit violent which I think works.

It also looks superb. the cinematography and visual style work well because the establish a great contrast to our main characters in a subtle, but very effective way. Tim Burton is known for his gothic and morbid visual style as well as aforementioned contrast that to something more bright and optimistic and his fingerprints are all over this. The music is interesting because, as far as I can tell, its made up almost entirely of classical instrumental covers of famous pop and rock sones. They managed to work in Metallica's "Nothing Else Matters" into there as well, extra points for that. Regardless of the source for the music, it suits well with the intended tone. It does not, however, make up for the fact that delightful Adam's Family theme song is nowhere to be found here, which is a shame.

The story is intelligent without leaving the viewer behind. There is some pacing problem in that I think the first half of the series maybe a bit slow with the second half maybe a fast, but it draws you in and keeps you engaged. It's not "laugh out loud" hilarious, like I said its dry and sardonic and it's more content to "pick it's moments" rather that drown you in comedy. This was a smart move as the drama needs time in this to set and make it's impact, and it does with the comedy prompting nice breaks in between.

Issues? Well, not much but there was one thing that did bother me. This series is obviously set in another universe whare mythical creatures like Vampires, Werewolves and Sirens exist and are know in society as "outcasts". In fact, the series is set in a boarding school for outcasts. This bothered me because, to me, The Adams Family was always about an abnormal and morbid family interacting with a normal, innocent world. A strange family mixing in with a normal world, but the world here is itself strange. It's not like the series has a particularly imaginative or fresh take on these creatures, them and thier differences to normal people and how they interreact with this world is barley even focused on, so I really didn't see the purpose of this. This does work it's way in a big way into the story in ways I won't spoil, but that's an issue for me as well because it feels like thier changing The Adams Family to fit the plot rather than creating a plot to fit the characters.

Still, it's a great series that's well worth a watch and I would highly recommend it.

Edited by Shagger

12 hours ago, Shagger said:

ssues? Well, not much but there was on thing that did bother me. This series is obviously set in another universe whare mythical creatures like Vampires, Werewolves and Sirens exist and are know in society as "outcasts". In fact, the series is set in a boarding school for outcasts. This bothered me because, to me, The Adams Family was always about an abnormal and morbid family interacting with a normal, innocent world. A strange family mixing in with a normal world, but the world here is itself strange. It's not like the series has a particularly imaginative or fresh take on these creatures, them and thier differences to normal people and how they interreact with this world is barley even focused on, so I really didn't the purpose of this. This does work it's way in a big way into the story in ways I won't spoil, but that's an issue for me as well because it feels like thier changing The Adams Family to fit the plot rather than creating a plot to fit the characters.

I have to disagree with you there.  At first I was a little taken aback by this this new angle to because your ring in that it's not exactly "Addams Family".  After watching though, I would say that expanding the supernatural aspect and going in a different direction form the oddball sitcom family concept was absolutely the right call.

This is a show about specifically about Wednesday and it's not sitcom either.  If they had gone in the direction of putting Wednesday in say, a regular boarding school with normal, snooty, spoiled kids as an odd one out character in the more typical Addams Family way... We'd have ended up with pretty much the same the as the summer camp bit form Addams Family Values.  Don't get wrong that was a lot of fun but, they obviously wanted to do so thing different and rightly so.

They've expanded the universe by expanding the oddball aspect to beyond just the family, this had already paid off massively in my opinion.  We've got this deep back story about this School and nearby town that provides social commentary on past and present discrimination.  This would never have worked if the Family were the only "outcasts" in this world.

I'd never watched any Addams Family stuff prior to this - but, I decided to check it out because everyone else was talking about it. 

I have to say, I was impressed on the whole 😄 . It was sort of like Harry Potter meets Stranger Things - and as I'm a fan of both franchises, it makes sense that I would've enjoyed it 😛

Looking forward to season 2 now!

It's a really great series. Surprisingly they didn't even ask Christina Ricci at first. She was a last minute addition as the original actress had to pull out of the project. I do hope Season 2 adds the addition of Grandmama though as she is one of my favorite characters.

So many people seem to love Wednesday and I have seen so many clips around the internet of it that I have watched and I will admit, I am quite eager to see it myself but not having a Netflix subscription at the moment, I have not been able to. I am eager to watch it though so hopefully I will be able to soon.