Register Now
The Blackangel

Things that are completely pointless in relation to the context of a game

I've been meaning to make this topic for a while, but keep forgetting.

What have you all seen in a game that is, in your eyes at least, completely pointless? The biggest one that sticks out for me is in RDR2 (story mode). We all know what kind of game it is, and how vulgar it is. The language the characters use would make a sailor blush. Yet when naming your horse there's a profanity blocker. Considering the way they talk to each other, and how you can taunt NPC's, why the hell would they even consider that when developing the game? And it's pretty crazy. I wanted to name my horse Prometheus a while back, and the profanity blocker denied it. The only thing I can think of that triggered it is in the middle of the name where it says "meth". What the hell is up with this? It has to be the most useless, pointless thing I've ever seen in a game. You can tell someone to "fuck off asshole" but can't name your horse Butt Nugget. Neither I nor @Rain Dew can figure out exactly what they were thinking. And it's such a small part of the game, so we're left wondering why they would even care. I can guarantee there's a lot of people who play that can't remember the name of their horses. @Rain Dew often doesn't even bother naming them and just leaves it as the default from the game. "Horse" isn't a particularly flattering name, but it doesn't affect the horse's performance. Luckily I found a name that to me at least is appropriate for my horse that the damn profanity blocker didn't block me. Considering I call her this constantly, I named her Stupid.

Kingdom Hearts, for as dumb as it is, has so many emotional moments and pointlessto say that are only amplified by a fantastic score. The best example of this is at the beginning of Kingdom Hearts 2. You play as Roxas, a kid not unlike you or me. Roxas just wants to hang out with his friends and eat ice cream, maybe go to the beach, as they live out the last days of their summer vacation but he's slowly losing control of his life by forces he doesn't understand. Roxas's portion of the game ends as he stands before Sora's sleeping body and reluctantly accepts his fate as a Nobody, saying "I guess my summer vacation is over." His theme song kicks up as the title flashes across the screen, signifying that Roxas's story has ended so that Sora's can begin. It gives me all the good feels every time.

Another one that never fails is the opening to Ocarina of Time. The sound of the piano with Epona galloping never fails to take me back to when I first played it. I had never seen a 3d game before that and it absolutely blew me away. It's the reason I bought. It's the reason I'm a gamer. I owe a lot to that game and I love it to this day.

Edited by Empire

Yeah it is odd for a game like RDR2 to do this. I can maybe understand the profanity filter in the multiplayer modes, at least there it makes more sense, but in the single player mode, why should it matter? Let us choose our names freely, as long as they aren't racial or overly offensive. But even so, it's single player and you shouldn't be blocked by a filter. Especially when the game has racism, hate, sexism, hateful words and so on. It doesn't make much sense. 

In fortnite you start with as little as no weapons entirely and you have to play to gather weapons that would give you more advantage in the game which is absolutely pointless.

For a first time player it would be difficult to adapt since every other players you encounter in fortnite might have already gotten good weapons which would put you at a disadvantage.