Register Now
Kane99

New Burnout game from Criterion? Maybe, but probably not for a while.

The new Need for Speed Unbound game is dropping soon, and the team behind it, Criterion had an interview with the people at Eurogamer. And during the interview they discuss the possibility of a new Burnout game. But that there are no "immediate plans" at this time to make a new game in the series. But that means there is a chance of seeing a new Burnout game. But when do you think it'll happen? With EA out there, it could take a very long time. 

If you're a fan of Criterion and the games they make, I'd recommend reading the interview with the Creative Director of Unbound - Kieran Crimmins. Link below. 

https://www.eurogamer.net/criterion-has-hopes-for-a-burnout-return-but-there-are-no-immediate-plans

This guy barley mentioned dick about another Burnout game and even if he did it would be another open world fringe off the same cloth as Need For Speed or Forza Horizon.  When EA and Criterion released Burnout Paradise they fucking murdered the entire genre!  They made it perfectly clear that they don't want to make fun, offline, arcade racers anymore and a disgustingly large number of players apparently agreed so the fun racing game is now dead,

The last Burnout game was Paradise and it was dogshit.  Even if Criterion were willing to make another Burnout there is far to many idiots that think Paradise was a good game that that is inevitably what they would build it from.  Thanks for sharing but fuck this!

Sounds like the possibility of a new game is ever so slightly there, still, but it's such a small chance it might as well not exist.

Yet, assuming it does eventually happen, I already see the sequel would be controversial, as there's people who want more open world and others who want compartmentalised tracks. I'd honestly prefer the track-based format. Open world Burnout felt... Generic, for me, as if much of the essence was sacrificed in favour of the sandbox setting.

So pretty much it's not happening. 

Sucks though because Burnout was a good series and there's not many games out there like it today. Paradise was okay but I honestly didn't see the point of it going open world. Just having tracks and Crash mode was good enough. Why mess with a good thing?

@Crazycrab pretty much said it. You would have to look hard to find someone who loves the Burnout franchise more than me, but I do not want this to happen simply because EA will cock it up like they did with Burnout Paradise. EA don't even want people to remember the Burnout Games on PS2 that were all about offline multiplayer racing, they want to push it as always online, live service garbage. I'd have to double check, but I'm fairly certain Burnout Paradise had DLC's than it had tracks. Burnout Paradise killed the arcade racer and Criterion can kick it all they want, it will remain dead.

Edited by Shagger

As much as I'd love to see another, I doubt it'll happen. I loved Paradise but the critical bugs in the remaster weren't even patched, and Need For Speed is a bigger name than Burnout is, so EA is going to always prefer putting money and time into NFS over Burnout.