Register Now
Smokey

Xbox Live 1.0 is back via "Insignia.live"!

Did you know that the original xbox live service has been brought back online by a group of dedicated fans?  Xbox Insignia brings back the online functionality of Xbox Live 1.0 with certain games. Very similar to Dreamcast Live & the use of a DreamPi.   Do you have an original xbox still? Are you gonna try this and go back online w/ it?  

Find out more - https://insignia.live

Edited by Smokey

This is awesome and the first I have heard of this. I do still have an original Xbox upstairs that I kept that I could try this on just to be able to go back. It would bring back a lot of memories to be able to go back to the Xbox Live 1.0 service. I remember how basic the first Xbox was and their online service so being able to go back to that and just see how much things have changed over the year would be amazing. 

On 11/29/2022 at 12:46 PM, Shortie said:

This is awesome and the first I have heard of this. I do still have an original Xbox upstairs that I kept that I could try this on just to be able to go back. It would bring back a lot of memories to be able to go back to the Xbox Live 1.0 service. I remember how basic the first Xbox was and their online service so being able to go back to that and just see how much things have changed over the year would be amazing. 

Yeah, it would be awesome. Unfortunately no "Wifi" compatibilities on the OG Xbox, so you're stuck to being hardwired, if I was ever to try this, I'd need an OG xbox, the games, and to be able to connect it to my router directly. 😛 It is a great idea though!

1 hour ago, Smokey said:

Yeah, it would be awesome. Unfortunately no "Wifi" compatibilities on the OG Xbox, so you're stuck to being hardwired, if I was ever to try this, I'd need an OG xbox, the games, and to be able to connect it to my router directly. 😛 It is a great idea though!

You're better off connecting it via ethernet anyway. Wifi is notoriously bad when it comes to gaming online. I have to have a wired connection with all of my consoles and even with my gaming PC. I don't want to end up dropping my connection mid match after all. :D 

I'm sure there are some modders who figured out a way to make a wifi device for it. Kinda like how they made an HDMI mod for the OG xbox.

Yeah, people even have devices for wifi for the Dreamcast now, which is how I connect my DC, but it's near the router, well, not too far from it and my connection's always been kinda solid, but the device mimicks a 56K connection anyway so having it wired or wifi doesn't make much of a difference anyways 😛 

but yeah something like a DreamPi, but for OG Xbox, would be awesome.

Glad to see this. I imagine this is going to be built similarly to the way the homebrew community rebuilt the WiiConnect24 and online multiplayer functionality for Wii games. It's basically just the right combination of firmware tweaks and DNS address changes.

On 12/1/2022 at 11:00 PM, Smokey said:

I'd be okay with the hardwire as how I have my set up I am already hardwired with my Xbox so I would just switch that hard wire out to the OG Xbox and then be able to take it from there. I don't think I still have many games left if at all now though, just the console so I would have to grab some games if I was able to if I wanted to check this out again. 

On 2/2/2023 at 4:43 PM, Shortie said:

I'd be okay with the hardwire as how I have my set up I am already hardwired with my Xbox so I would just switch that hard wire out to the OG Xbox and then be able to take it from there. I don't think I still have many games left if at all now though, just the console so I would have to grab some games if I was able to if I wanted to check this out again. 

Yeah, see i'm the opposite, I have a few games, just not the console 😛

I would have to buy the console and hope the caps and such in it were replaced/refurbed properly.....

2 minutes ago, Smokey said:

Yeah, see i'm the opposite, I have a few games, just not the console 😛

I would have to buy the console and hope the caps and such in it were replaced/refurbed properly.....

Yeah that is the only issue when it comes to buying the console now, you would need to be sure it was all in working order and how you needed it to be otherwise you would face spending money and being without. 

1 minute ago, Shortie said:

Yeah that is the only issue when it comes to buying the console now, you would need to be sure it was all in working order and how you needed it to be otherwise you would face spending money and being without. 

Yeah, exactly, especially with the scams coming out of DKOldies.com, I would definitely look elsewhere for one if I was going to buy one. Not sure yet, I might do sometime in 2023, we'll see how things go first. 

Keep checking your local thrift/charity shops, you can often find decently priced Xboxes out and about. 

I still have my launch day 2001 Xbox and two others I was going to cannibalize for modding purposes but never did, so I might use this service.  I'm so glad someone brought it out, very good on them to keep a part of gaming history alive, in some respects!

I can't use this service since my Xbox is modded. I got it for free from a coworker a few years ago, so I'm not too upset. I think it's cool that fans brought this service back up for those who still own an original Xbox! It's amazing what fans can do to bring life back into these old game consoles.