Register Now
Smokey

A new portable?

Do you think Sony should try their hand again at a portable playstation? Something like the PS VIta, but more on par w/ the PS4/PS5? Something with dual triggers using the haptic feedback from the dualsense this time so FPS games can be played more comfortably? I loved my Vita, it's hacked now and i still use it to this day from time to time. I would love to see a successor to it personally. If Sony did try this again, they'd need developers on board and not just 'bite-sized' versions of games, an actual CoD title like MW2 would need to be on the console, w/ crossplay & cross progression, for it to be a success IMHO.

I think if they were to release another portable console, they would have to get it as close to their PS5 as possible but in handheld form for it to be a hit. Many now want something that they can use when on the go and at times when they can not take their PS5 with them, something like a handheld with cross-progression would be amazing for those who want to be able to game on the go still. If they were to get it as close to their PS5 but for on the go, I feel it would be a huge hit for PlayStation fans.

I don't think a new PS handheld has to meet the same specs of a PS5. That's kinda tough to do. But i think as long as they make quality games, that's all that matters. I don't think you can get the same specs as a PS5 in such a small form factor either. I'm sure the steam deck had to cut some corners to make it work for them. 

I think if they can match what the switch and steam deck can do. It'll work out much better. 

I would say something the along the lines of late PS3/Early-Mid PS4 games in terms of graphics would be great to see, so like a Vita, but better, and with the ability to stream PS5 games to the handheld, similar to XCloud & Game Pass. I think that would make it a hit, BUT!  I would like to see the following:

-Clickable thumbsticks (Proper L3, R3 buttons) 

-Dual triggers (R1, R2, L1, L2, like an actual controller) 

These are two things that are a MUST for this handheld.

9 minutes ago, Smokey said:

I would say something the along the lines of late PS3/Early-Mid PS4 games in terms of graphics would be great to see, so like a Vita, but better, and with the ability to stream PS5 games to the handheld, similar to XCloud & Game Pass. I think that would make it a hit, BUT!  I would like to see the following:

-Clickable thumbsticks (Proper L3, R3 buttons) 

-Dual triggers (R1, R2, L1, L2, like an actual controller) 

These are two things that are a MUST for this handheld.

Yeah I can see most PS3/PS4 games being fine. These days we have tech that can do wonders, so I can see that being a reality. I hope they utilize the same control scheme of the PS4/5 controllers. 

Streaming is a must, as that is our inevitable future when it comes to gaming and pretty much everything else. 

1 hour ago, Smokey said:

Yeah. It would be great to see, but sadly, I don't think Sony is interested in trying a new portable at this time. I would be very surprised if they put one out anytime soon. 😞

With the popularity of the Steam Deck and the Switch, the idea may not be far from reality. Companies change their minds all the time. I didn't expect Sony to originally make a VR headset for the PS4, but they did. And the same goes for their original handhelds, I didn't expect them to do that either. 

I hear they have no plans, but plans change. Microsoft has said they have no plans either, but they're Microsoft, and if there's money to be made, they'll jump at it. 

2 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

With the popularity of the Steam Deck and the Switch, the idea may not be far from reality. Companies change their minds all the time. I didn't expect Sony to originally make a VR headset for the PS4, but they did. And the same goes for their original handhelds, I didn't expect them to do that either. 

I hear they have no plans, but plans change. Microsoft has said they have no plans either, but they're Microsoft, and if there's money to be made, they'll jump at it. 

Yeah, I'm still hopeful for a successor to the Vita. 🙂

I could be wrong here, but it seems to me that it's just not profitable to go up against Nintendo in the handheld arena. None have been as successful in that market. ANd they just end up lossing not earning, they going to stick what they have going

I believe that they will end up not making another portable gaming system, since they were promoting heavily the Backbone controller and the aspect that you can play your PS4/PS5 remotely (from anywhere) with your phone and only have a very small lag. 

On 12/4/2022 at 2:13 AM, Justin11 said:

I don't think Sony would want to go back to handheld since they have said anything about it since the days of the ps visita.

I would like to see them make a new generation of handhelds from Sony though.

Yeah I think they are done with handheld gaming for the time being. The PSP and psvita were never really that profitable for Sony, at least if I remember correctly. I don't think they made a ton on either handheld, but please correct me if I'm wrong. I always felt like the DS, and 3DS were always ahead of the PSP and Vita in terms of sales. 

It's sad too, because both consoles were pretty decent devices that could do a lot. I didn't get why it didn't sell as well as it should sell. Both the PSP and Vita I mean. 

If Sony ever revisits handhelds, I think they could go the hybrid route too. Like with Nintendo Switch. But it probably won't be for a long time. 

Just the other day there have been rumors going around that Sony may be making a new portable console. With numerous PC companies making their own handhelds, it wouldn't surprise me if Sony wants to try their hand at the handheld market again. Though if they do so, hopefully they'll do something more with it unlike what they did with the Vita. I feel there was such missed potential with the Vita, Sony just didn't do anything really with it... I'm not sure how they can do things differently than other companies though...

I don't think so - if anyone remembers, they once had the PSP which was a pretty awesome handheld device that they poorly supported until it failed. Besides, they're making a lot of money from the PS5 and making some of their exclusive games available on PC plus their own version of Gamepass, the PS plus.