Register Now
Moonface

How Much Do You Value Your Save Data?

How much do you value your save data for games? Would you care if one day a particular save file on your system or memory card just...disappeared?

For most games I usually don't care much for backing up the save data. It's really only for games where I put a lot of time/effort in or it has things I wouldn't be able to retrieve, such as LittleBigPlanet, Minecraft, or old WWE games. Other stuff I could just replay and get a new save with the same progress pretty easily, which is what I had to do for some of my PS3 games when my first PS3 broke down.

I did lose a Jak X save on my PS2 memory card due to corruption after over a decade of having and using the file. That was pretty sad for me because that was a save file I didn't want to lose and didn't expect to get corrupted by a bug in the game after using it for so long, and it sucks more that I can't remove the corrupted data so it's just hogging space on that memory card now forever.

Losing save data is something amongst my worst nightmares. If I was willing to loose all the save data in a game, It's unlikely I would have played that game in the first place. To be honest, I can't think of a time when I lost an entire game saves through some sort of problem, but there has been times where I lost hours of progression and it hurt.

Very important, that's why I like auto-saved and also doing my own save. Also if the game supports cloud gaming saves then even better to have them all. You do not know when harddrives go poop and you loose 5000 hours of work 😛

I received a demo disc from PlayStation underground one year, and there was a demo of Viewtiful Joe 1 or 2, and if you play that demo, it actually overwrites your save data on any memory cards inserted into your PS2. I had nearly completed GTA San Andreas when my save file was deleted because of this damn demo disc. I ended up replaying the game and used cheats because of how mad I was. 

Later on, I found out that Sony was offering a free game because of it, but I had missed the window for calling in about it. 

But yeah, I hate when save data gets deleted. Had issues with NBA 2K20, where my save got deleted and the cloud save was not accessible. Yes it's turned on for the Epic game store. Stopped playing the game because of it. 

Depends on what it is 😛 . If it's a random game of Civilization, that I'll never come back to once I've finished... then, not too much. But if it's a massive city that I've built in Cities: Skylines over the course of multiple years... then, I make sure I have that backed up!!!

Losing save data on any game I was playing was always a worry of mine, I am so thankful that we have the cloud nowadays for saves as there is less of a chance, we will lose our save data compared to how it used to be with memory cards. I guess it really depends on the game I was playing and how far through the game I was, if it was a game I really enjoyed and spent a lot of time getting through, losing the save data would have really upset me and got me angry as having to start again would have been the worst. 

29 minutes ago, Shortie said:

Losing save data on any game I was playing was always a worry of mine, I am so thankful that we have the cloud nowadays for saves as there is less of a chance, we will lose our save data compared to how it used to be with memory cards. I guess it really depends on the game I was playing and how far through the game I was, if it was a game I really enjoyed and spent a lot of time getting through, losing the save data would have really upset me and got me angry as having to start again would have been the worst. 

I started to save scum. Or so that's what they call it when you make a new save each time you save, or you rotate your saves. I started to do it, because if I need to go a bit, I many options I can choose. 

Also I keep cloud saves on whenever I play a game. Never hurts to have that as a backup. 

16 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I received a demo disc from PlayStation underground one year, and there was a demo of Viewtiful Joe 1 or 2, and if you play that demo, it actually overwrites your save data on any memory cards inserted into your PS2. I had nearly completed GTA San Andreas when my save file was deleted because of this damn demo disc. I ended up replaying the game and used cheats because of how mad I was. 

That would have been so devastating , I actually lost my saved PES 6 data when I played on the PlayStation 2.

I think this was my fault I was actually trying to reset my Console and give it a more convenient settings but when I was done I couldn't find non of my saved data anymore.

I just had to start all over again from the beginning.

1 hour ago, Justin11 said:

That would have been so devastating , I actually lost my saved PES 6 data when I played on the PlayStation 2.

I think this was my fault I was actually trying to reset my Console and give it a more convenient settings but when I was done I couldn't find non of my saved data anymore.

I just had to start all over again from the beginning.

It sucks, especially if you had done a lot of work on the games you played. I was really mad when I saw my file gone. I had no idea what happened. I probably searched online about my save file and I think I found news about it. 

And then kinda recently my save file for nba 2k on PC disappeared. I had cloud saves as well, but I couldn't access it. Contacted epic games and they were literally no help. So I stopped playing the game at that point and uninstalled it. Also contacted 2k support but they too were no help. 

It really sucks when it happens. Kinda feels like you're defeated or something. 

5 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

It sucks, especially if you had done a lot of work on the games you played. I was really mad when I saw my file gone. I had no idea what happened. I probably searched online about my save file and I think I found news about it. 

And then kinda recently my save file for nba 2k on PC disappeared. I had cloud saves as well, but I couldn't access it. Contacted epic games and they were literally no help. So I stopped playing the game at that point and uninstalled it. Also contacted 2k support but they too were no help. 

It really sucks when it happens. Kinda feels like you're defeated or something. 

Thinking about the times you've spent to make up those saves makes it even worse when you eventually lost the file.

I use an extra hard drive now and I have really important files which I saved in both drives just Incase I loose one of them.