Register Now
Rain Dew

What are some things you picked up from movies or tv shows that are true/untrue?

1. No matter what Never say “what could be worse than this?” Because something worse will happen. 

2. If it is your last day on a job 98% of the time you will die. 

3. Never separate yourself from a group.

4. If you are going out hiking always let someone know where you are going and how long you are expected to be out. If you can always have a hiking buddy with you as well. 

5. Never be the “active” couple in a horror movie because you both will die. 

Edited by Rain Dew

This topic is already starting to sound like the "Rules" from Scream...

Anyway...

One thing that does drive me nuts about Braveheart is the portrayal of Robert the Bruce. He didn't betray William Wallace at Falkirk. Hell, he wasn't even there. He actually grew up in the English court, so if her betrayed anyone it was England. At Bannockburn in 1314, he wasn't all dressed up in fancy armour either, he was actually armoured for something suitable for "reconnaissance" only and armed only with a small axe. An English Knight named Henry de Bohun spotted Bruce in this "disadvantaged" state with light armour and riding a small horse and charged. Bruce held his ground until the last second before side stepping and whacking Henry de Bohun with that small axe right between the eyes, both killing him and breaking the axe in the process in one of the most amazing combat baits in history. Bruce actually had to sit out the rest of the battle because he no longer had any means to defend himself.

Yeah that portrayal is the closest Americans have to knowledge of Scottish history. But most of us understand full well that Hollywood sensationalizes things, and fabricates things to make a movie that would sell better. People here honestly believe that movies like Braveheart are more documentary than movie. After Twister came out some neighborhood kids decided that they knew everything about tornadoes. The same with other movies like Jurassic Park and Braveheart.

Americans are stupid. It’s that damn simple.

If I remember correctly, the only sharks that are true man eaters are bull sharks. It may be nurse sharks, but I'm all but certain it's bull sharks. But I think the reason behind that is that bull sharks are opportunistic eaters and will eat pretty much anything they can get in their jaws. They don't really care what it is. Also to my knowledge they're the only shark that can survive just fine in both fresh water and salt water.

I've also heard that hammerheads are man eaters too, but as of right now I'm not sure about that.

On 12/16/2022 at 10:10 AM, The Blackangel said:

If I remember correctly, the only sharks that are true man eaters are bull sharks. It may be nurse sharks, but I'm all but certain it's bull sharks. But I think the reason behind that is that bull sharks are opportunistic eaters and will eat pretty much anything they can get in their jaws. They don't really care what it is. Also to my knowledge they're the only shark that can survive just fine in both fresh water and salt water.

I've also heard that hammerheads are man eaters too, but as of right now I'm not sure about that.

Tiger sharks also known to attack humans whenever they encounter one but then again, I think it also falls into the category of an opportunistic eater.