Register Now
Kane99

Today’s Google Doodle Pays respect to Jerry Lawson, Let’s You Design Your Own Video Game Levels

Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2022/12/01/todays-google-doodle-lets-you-design-your-own-video-game-levels/

Go to google.com right now, and click on the doodle. You'll be able to play up to 5 games, and you're also free to edit the games as you see fit. This doodle was done to pay respects to Jerry Lawson, who is considered the father of modern gaming for helping with the production of the first video game console that took cartridge's. That console was the Fairchild Channel F video game console. Does anyone here remember it? 

I am aware of Jerry Lawson though, as he was the reason carts became so popular back in the day. He would have been 82 today. 

13 hours ago, Justin11 said:

I saw a news about Jerry Lawson and I also read that they are doing this as a tribute to him and also to fulfill his desires of having video games available to anyone and everyone.

I think Google did a doodle for him in the past too. I swear I remember finding out about him from a past doodle, or maybe I heard about him when he passed away. But either way, he made history and is one of the big reasons we have video games. 

7 hours ago, Empire said:

Just like the creation of Wi-Fi is now being attributed to a single woman, when in reality she was just one of the people who contributed to it's eventual creation.

Lets say he's one of the founding fathers of video games, much like this woman is one of the founders of Wi-Fi. With Jerry Lawson, I believe he was the person who invented carts, so in that way he's the father of cart based media. :D 

21 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I think Google did a doodle for him in the past too. I swear I remember finding out about him from a past doodle, or maybe I heard about him when he passed away. But either way, he made history and is one of the big reasons we have video games. 

I only got to know more about through an article I read some months ago about doodle.

Yeah I recall they did a doodle  for him in the past and that only shows how influential he was to doodle.

What did you guys think of the games that they made for the doodle? They play a lot like games I would have played on old flash sites back in the day. The first one they have on there was fun. 

Also, one of the games has a sprite for Jerry Lawson, which I thought was nice.

Oh, and did anyone edit the games? Each one allows you to freely edit it and share as your own game. I wonder if anyone did that and are trying to say they made it. 

I'm going to be honest and say that prior to this I don't think I've ever heard of Jerry Lawson but learning that he designed games with interchangeable cartridges, he deserves to be celebrated. I haven't quite touched the Doodle yet but I'm planning on checking it out tonight.