Register Now
Kane99

US Military has been trying to recruit through gaming and esports

Source: https://techraptor.net/gaming/news/us-army-continues-to-pour-millions-into-esports-and-gaming

The US military has been attempting to connect to gamers to in turn recruit them. The US military has been sponsoring more gaming events, tournaments, and so on, with plans to sponsor more events. They've spent millions on sponsoring video games. 

They are sponsor through the likes of Cod and Halo, through the halo tv show that recently dropped. 

I imagine this has been a thing forever. There are more gamers than ever who are of age for joining the military. And it's hard to connect with a young adult, especially to get them away from their games to go into the military. 

Do you think this is messed up? Or do you support it? I know the military promotes a lot to teens, because it's not always a bad thing to go into. It helps with college and helps in other avenues. 

But to go to war is a whole other story. I don't think most teens are into that. But maybe I'm wrong. I just think it's weird to promote signing up for the military through any video games, movies, tv, etc. 

Well, I suppose it isn't the worst way to recrcuit 😛 . This audience is likely to have some interest in the military, and some of the skills required to succeed.

Of course, they'd still have a long, long way to go before they could succeed in the real world - but they'd have a head-start!

Iirc, this has been a thing for awhile, I remember being at county fairs and seeing them having COD competitions or Guitar Hero setups.

One misnomer about the military (well I'm only speaking for the US military, can't speak for the others), is that just because you sign up, doesn't mean you go to war. Apparently about 10% actually see combat. A lot of the jobs are serving support functions, and a lot of desk jobs.

The DoD is also pretty big in the cyber field, and not many 18 year olds can get realistic hands on experience, with actual industry recognized certifications (all paid for by the government). Most people go to college for several years, then intern, and then eventually actually get to work in a backshop. In the military, it's: "oh, you finished bootcamp, your X months training, and got your cert? Here's a multi-million network suite".

I Know they wouldn't want to force anyone to join the military and anyone who chooses to sign up for the military did it willingly.

I don't see anything wrong in the military trying to promote more social activities by engaging people via video games though.

14 hours ago, Grungie said:

Iirc, this has been a thing for awhile, I remember being at county fairs and seeing them having COD competitions or Guitar Hero setups.

One misnomer about the military (well I'm only speaking for the US military, can't speak for the others), is that just because you sign up, doesn't mean you go to war. Apparently about 10% actually see combat. A lot of the jobs are serving support functions, and a lot of desk jobs.

The DoD is also pretty big in the cyber field, and not many 18 year olds can get realistic hands on experience, with actual industry recognized certifications (all paid for by the government). Most people go to college for several years, then intern, and then eventually actually get to work in a backshop. In the military, it's: "oh, you finished bootcamp, your X months training, and got your cert? Here's a multi-million network suite".

Oh most likely. I know I've seen ads from the military in gaming magazines, and as sponsors for many gaming events over. It happens a lot. And now, they're just finding alternatives to reach teens, because they know where they're heading in droves. I'm sure there are a decent share of gamers who want to be in the military, so it just helps those guys/gals get interested sooner. 

If multiplayer Call of Duty and Halo have a realistic approach in team skills, mission related duties, and fast thinking, then it's a worthwhile place to look for candidates. Interacting with others in real time shows a lot about potential skills for the military. Gamers would even make great police officers due to quicker response with better judgement calls. That is what should be required for any that wields a weapon with the license to kill. Even in the military you need to do the best you can to not endanger the lives of civilians. Those that want to, should not be a potential recruit for military or police. They even recruit or sponsor at schools, so I wouldn't think gamers would be exploited any more than them. They even have ROTC in schools. And playing military games or a simulation would be a fun activity for those in the ROTC program, which no doubt as simulations get more widespread then they probably will integrate into those training programs. You know you got a problem though if the military was recruiting civilian killers, mass murderers and those in MMO screaming hate speech. Would not be good. 

On 12/6/2022 at 6:13 AM, Empire said:

The army won’t mention that IRL there is no campaign mode and when you get your ass killed, it’s not like you just start the level again. I mean COME ON. they are not all young and old people

I know right - joining the military is huge ask but of course they'll try to sugarcoat it to fool some COD/Battlefield/Halo etc fanboy to join in order to be just like their favorite gaming character.

As much as this seems like a crazy way to recruit people into the military I can understand why they would use this method for recruitment as many people who play games such as say Call of Duty and Battlefield may have some kind of interest in joining the military and having the details to be able to apply for that would be made easier if they have some kind of connection with gaming and esports. That is actually quite a smart move on their part.