Register Now
Kane99

Retro videogame magazines hard to find these days?

I wish I took care of my video game magazines growing up. I had a decent collection of magazines from egm, psn, and others I'm likely forgetting. 

But these days my nostalgia has been in overdrive and I've been keeping an eye out for retro gaming mags. Haven't found much of anything at thrift stores or really anywhere else. 

Are retro gaming mags hard to come by? I'm sure I could find a bunch on eBay, but I don't want to do that lol.

I also wouldn't mind collecting Nintendo power. As I didn't own those growing up. 

1 hour ago, Grungie said:

Idk, I rarely see mags in general at second hand stores. I think the only second hand mags being sold were Playboys.

I can see that haha. I think the big reason why I rarely see them when I search secondhand stores/thrift stores, etc, is that usually they toss magazines away after a certain time I imagine. I never see old mags, just fairly newer ones still kinda in date. 

I hate the idea of having to look at ebay for bundles and sets. I'd rather find them for much cheaper in the wild as they say. 

When I did have the magazines, I took horrible care of them. Often cut them up for projects or put pages of popular game ads on my wall. I'll still keep an eye out for them whenever I go to any secondhand shop. 

Part of me wishes I kept all my old magazines. I had 3 subscriptions growing up. I had Next Generation Magazine, Playstation Magazine and Dreamcast Magazine, the latter two giving out demo discs often with their magazine issues. I really enjoyed those days and I wish I kept all of my magazine issues. Now it's hard to find physical magazines, especially ones from back in the day.

32 minutes ago, Smokey said:

Part of me wishes I kept all my old magazines. I had 3 subscriptions growing up. I had Next Generation Magazine, Playstation Magazine and Dreamcast Magazine, the latter two giving out demo discs often with their magazine issues. I really enjoyed those days and I wish I kept all of my magazine issues. Now it's hard to find physical magazines, especially ones from back in the day.

Don't you miss those days where they'd toss in a demo disc? I loved it. I had a subscription to PSM, which was a third party playstation mag. Sadly those did not come with demo discs like the actual PlayStation magazine did. 

I usually got gaming mags from my local grocery store. They used to sell older mags in bundles for a cheaper price, and I would buy those up. They did the same for comics, but a couple of the comics they literally remove the cover. So you'd get like 3 comics and one or two of them don't have the cover and back.  But I built a small comic collection back then that way. 

1 hour ago, Kane99 said:

I can see that haha. I think the big reason why I rarely see them when I search secondhand stores/thrift stores, etc, is that usually they toss magazines away after a certain time I imagine. I never see old mags, just fairly newer ones still kinda in date. 

I hate the idea of having to look at ebay for bundles and sets. I'd rather find them for much cheaper in the wild as they say. 

When I did have the magazines, I took horrible care of them. Often cut them up for projects or put pages of popular game ads on my wall. I'll still keep an eye out for them whenever I go to any secondhand shop. 

Yeah, I’ve seen more old mags at a doctor’s office than any Goodwill.

On 12/3/2022 at 5:40 PM, Rainbow Road said:

Man. This low key makes me glad I still have my old Gameinformer Magazines in my garage.

I had a subscription to Gameinformer for a while, but it was more recent and I didn't keep them. I wish I did, but wasn't a huge fan of the Gameinformer mags with it being owned by Gamestop. 

On 12/3/2022 at 5:43 PM, Grungie said:

Yeah, I’ve seen more old mags at a doctor’s office than any Goodwill.

Haha, I actually remember finding an old Electronic Gaming Monthly mag with Donkey Kong country at a local dentists office when I was a kid. I ended up taking it home lol. 

2 hours ago, Empire said:

I really wish I'd kept all of the Video Games & Computer Entertainment and Gamefan issues that I collected as a kid. But you still can get Ebay you know. Pay double at times

Yeah I wish I took care of my collection and kept most of them. I've looked at Ebay, haha, they are very pricey. Maybe one of these days I'll try Ebay and buy a cheap bundle or something. Or I'll keep an eye out at thrift stores and other such places. 

36 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

I used to buy Tips & Tricks every month. It had a section of all kinds of codes and cheats for games from every system at the time. NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, Game Boy, Game Gear, and others. It also had a lot of really great articles.

Same and I also used to get the PC Gamer magazines as well with tips, tricks and mod recommendations for PC titles.

That awful feeling you get when you realize that the magazines you used to collect all those years ago would have been perfect to keep for future as part of a collection and now that you would like to be able to do so it may cost you way too much to even consider. I am betting a lot of the magazines that most of us wished we had kept would be for sale on places like eBay. With them being so rare now though I can only imagine the price people would be asking for them if they are on there for sale.