Register Now
Smokey

Do you think Nintendo is too 'kid-friendly'?

Do you feel like most Nintendo IP's cater to kids? Are you one of the types of gamers who prefers more serious and adult-oriented experiences in games seldom found on Nintendo consoles?  I don't mind games like Mario or Sonic, but I just find them to get too repetitive and I believe that's the main reason I don't own a Switch even in 2022 when it's been out for 5+ years now. 

Do you feel Nintendo is just a bit TOO kid friendly and doesn't cater to adult gamers enough?

I guess it depends on the kind of gamer you are to be honest. I myself am still quite a kid at heart so I love playing the games that Nintendo has to offer and also with me having kids as well, they love to play the games that Nintendo has to offer. I feel though if you are someone who is looking for games that are a little more on the adult side, I can see your point on why you have not jumped on the Switch yet as they don't really offer a whole lot of that like PlayStation and Xbox do. 

I think it's fair to say that Nintendo can be a bit too kid friendly. They're known for not really pushing M rated games, though they have no problem with third party studios releasing M rated games. It's just that Nintendo focusses on a certain type of games, and I think they've fallen into that mold. 

But I'm fine with it honestly. You know what you're getting from a Nintendo console, great quality games, that are good for kids and adults. Now if all the games were some baby games with no M rated games, then I'd say it's too kid friendly. :D 

Nintendo has always thought of themselves as "family friendly". Thus a lot of their games are made for children. But they do allow games aimed at adults as well. I doubt many 10 year olds are playing Skyrim or Witcher 3. The complexity of those games keeps them from being child friendly, as well as the content. So in most ways, yes thaty are too kid friendly, IMO. But they are starting to cater to adults a lot as well. FutureGrind is one of my favorites. But there's also things like Layers Of Fear, Remothered: Broken Porcelain, Assassin's Creed, Bleed, Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, Fobia, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, Outlast, and Slender: The Arrival, just to name a few. Yes, several of the ones I've listed are horror games. To me, that alone just shows that Nintendo isn't always "family friendly" as they try to profess to the public.

Edited by The Blackangel