Register Now
Smokey

If you could play only one console for the rest of your life.....

If you could only play one console for the rest of your life, which would it be?  For me, it'd be the Sega Dreamcast,  you can still access it's online functionality today and it has over 250 games in the US, with more overseas, so there would always be something to play. 

That is a tough one, because there are so many games I like that are on so many different consoles. But if I had to pick just one, I would probably go with the NES, as it's the one I have most nostalgia for and the one I started with. As well, Super Mario Bros. 3 is my favorite video game of all time, so I could probably re-play just that quite a bit. 

But, if PC was an option, I would choose a modern one and say emulation to get it all. :D But I don't think that would count towards this. So NES for me. 

This is a tough one for me as I have had a lot of consoles growing up and beyond that. I guess if I really had to choose one console out of all the consoles, I played to be the only console I played for the rest of my life, it would definitely have to be the Super Nintendo. I had way too much fun on that console with all the games I had, especially the Mario games that I had and given the chance, that would be the console I would stick with if it was the only one. 

19 hours ago, Shortie said:

This is a tough one for me as I have had a lot of consoles growing up and beyond that. I guess if I really had to choose one console out of all the consoles, I played to be the only console I played for the rest of my life, it would definitely have to be the Super Nintendo. I had way too much fun on that console with all the games I had, especially the Mario games that I had and given the chance, that would be the console I would stick with if it was the only one. 

I loved my SNES. I still own a handful of games for it as I have a RetroN5....i should dig them out one rainy day and have a retro day of playing older titles from my childhood.

I've been playing the NES since 1986, a year after it came nationwide out in the western market. The range of games was so vast, and the uniqueness of games on the system so wild in concept, the NES could keep anyone entertained for years. In my opinion, it was the best system ever released.

Edited by The Blackangel

15 hours ago, aerodynamik said:

I would probably go for the PS4. It's still going strong, has lots of great games that can be played.

I would have said PS5 in that regard. If I remember correctly, it plays all but 6 PS4 games currently. They're nothing special for the most part, but still the PS5 can't run them for some reason. Digital or physical. The games are as follows:

• Afro Samurai 2 Revenge of Kuma Volume One
  • Just Deal With It!
  • Robinson: The Journey
  • We Sing
  • Hitman Go: Definitive Edition
  • Shadwen

On 12/11/2022 at 1:37 PM, The Blackangel said:

I would have said PS5 in that regard. If I remember correctly, it plays all but 6 PS4 games currently. They're nothing special for the most part, but still the PS5 can't run them for some reason. Digital or physical. The games are as follows:

• Afro Samurai 2 Revenge of Kuma Volume One
  • Just Deal With It!
  • Robinson: The Journey
  • We Sing
  • Hitman Go: Definitive Edition
  • Shadwen

I didn't know PS5 had that much backwards compatibility. I'm quite surprised Sony allowed that as I thought they would just charge more for games to be able to bring to next gen. But having these 6 games out the list just doesn't make sense. I wouldn't play them, but still. 

22 hours ago, kensonplays said:

If you count PC as a console… Then yes!

LOL because you can also emulate game consoles if you wanted. So there is thousands and thousands of games available.

I guess in a sense when you think about it, if you have a PC capable of playing most games, you will for sure have a console for every game available without needing to worry about upgrading all the time unless you really needed to. 

I'm with @kensonplayson this one, if the PC counts then I'll definitely pick that over anything else. Not only do you get access to Steam titles, you get access to any console that has a emulator plus you even get access to old PC games too! You can play old games either through GOG if they're on the service, or set up PCEm with Windows 98 and it works well for old Windows games.

I too would have to say PC if that counts. There are unlimited games to play on gaming distribution services such as Steam. You can often find some good deals on PC games and a lot of them are free to play. I'm more computer-oriented than TV-oriented, so that's another reason I would prefer PC.

On 9/25/2023 at 11:23 AM, Shortie said:

I guess in a sense when you think about it, if you have a PC capable of playing most games, you will for sure have a console for every game available without needing to worry about upgrading all the time unless you really needed to. 

Yep! That's what I like, you can through emulation (which is kinda a grey area) play any game. PC, Console, handheld, and more. I do not emulate a game unless I have legally paid for a copy of it. Like in the case of Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate for the 3DS, which I do not own one. I bought a physical copy of it, even though I can't actually play it on a physical device. I can play on my PC though!