Register Now
Smokey

Original hardware? Modded hardware? emulation?

How do you prefer to play older games such as Sega Dreamcast? Do you prefer to play them on original hardware? a modified console? or an emulation box?

For me, I prefer OG hardware or modified OG hardware whenever possible. I own multiple stock dreamcasts but i also now have one modded w/ some fixes & a GDEMU, so i was able to put the entire US library onto an SD card, now I have every dreamcast game ever released in the US all at my fingertips to play at a moment's notice.  Some of these modifications to original hardware really prolong the lifespan of the console.

I have a lot of OG hardware, but I personally enjoy collecting that stuff. I have flash carts for consoles I want, but not interested in actually collecting.

I do have a modded Saturn memory card for playing burned games, because fuck paying second hand prices for the good Saturn games.

Emulation all the way for me personally and I recommend the same. Original hardware is fine if you have a thing for it, but I personally find the experience to be marginally better on a well made game. Some games are just better with emulation due to enhancements like removing slowdown and flicker. Then you have systems that just have garbo controllers like the Master System.

Original hardware is what I would rather play my games on. But emulation has become so useful in that I can play any console I want on a PC if I so desired. It makes it easier since I don't own every console, so emulation is the only way I can play some games. 

But, if I had the original hardware, I'd be playing on that the most. 

Due to me not having many of the original hardware now for older consoles and it being so expensive now for me to be able to get them to be able to play games on the original hardware I would have to say that it is now emulation all the way to be honest. If I ever was able to purchase any original hardware that would be amazing to play the games on the original rather than as an emulation, just for the nostalgia. 

19 hours ago, Shortie said:

Due to me not having many of the original hardware now for older consoles and it being so expensive now for me to be able to get them to be able to play games on the original hardware I would have to say that it is now emulation all the way to be honest. If I ever was able to purchase any original hardware that would be amazing to play the games on the original rather than as an emulation, just for the nostalgia. 

That's fair. Getting into retro gaming is very hard to do these days. From having to find the consoles, the games, and possibly a tv to play them on (HDTVs are fine, but CRT TVs are better). As well, you have to worry about the prices, as retro games are going up in prices, especially NES, SNES, Genesis, etc. Mostly retro games. 

Emulation is a great way to play the games you never got to. I had a raspberry pi with an emulator on it, but it recently died on me. One of these days I'll buy a new raspberry pi and make another emulation station.