Register Now
Smokey

Best era in gaming?

In your opinion, which era was the best in gaming? 8-bit? 16-bit? 32-bit? 64-bit? Now?

For me, I would say probably the 16-bit era had the best & most memorable games. The Sega Genesis/Mega Drive & SNES is where I got my gaming start, so I might be a tad biased, but those games just hit different when you boot them up IMO.   Which was the best era for you?

I think the golden age was pretty long, from the early nineties to the early 2010s, so almost 20 years of greatness. But with the advent of microtransactions and DLCs it has been downhill since then. Not that there aren't still good games occasionally, but games nowadays don't focus on entertaining players, but on eliciting the most recurring payments, with respect to a few exceptions.

For me I would definitely have to say the early 90's was the best era for me, I started gaming in the later 80's but the memories I have are more from the early 90's than any other time if I am honest. Games such as Sonic, Alex the Kidd, Mario are all games I have fond memories of with family and friends and for me they were games that helped me through difficult times as well. Now is not one I would say is bad as so much has changed now but nothing compares to the early 90's.

I feel like we've discussed this here before in another topic. But for me it's either the 90s, or around the 2010s. The 90s because I grew up in the time, and got to experience the NES, SNES, Genesis, PS1, and more growing up. But in the 2000s is when I started to really get into gaming. So idk, the 2000s are also a good time for me, because the PS2 was what my jam was back then. Then of course the 360 came out around 2005 or so and I remember playing a lot of that into the 2010s. 

I'd say the 90s this time around. I probably said 2010 or so, because of Red Dead Redemption 1. But I forget. 90s and early 2000s probably. :D