Register Now
Smokey

Was Sonic Adventure the best Sonic game?

It's often debated that Sonic Adventure on the sega Dreamcast is where the 3D sonic games peaked.  Is it the best 3D sonic game series?  I personally think so. I couldn't get into any newer 3D sonics and i've tried most of them. I still think SA and SA2 were probably my favorites out of the 3D sonic era.  What do you think?  I still play these two titles on my Dreamcast to this day. I remember Sonic Adventure being the first introduction I had to the Dreamcast, in a store in my local mall in 1999, and I was blown away by the graphics as a 9 year old kid. 

I feel like I missed out on this game as I see so many people saying how good a game it is and that it really was where the 3D sonic games peaked. I unfortunately did not have a Dreamcast growing up and was only able to play using a friends at their house which was only sometimes for a few hours, and this wasn't a game I managed to play because of that. It's definitely a game I would love to check out now though if I was able to get it and the console, but I fear that it would cost me quite a bit to do that now. 

Best 3D sonic game maybe, but I think the original 3 games are the best of the bunch. Once Sonic hit 3D, is when the series started to take a nosedive. I know people love Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, but the games to follow didn't do so hot. Especially when you get to Sonic 06 and some of the other games. 

But yeah, I'd say best 3D sonic game. 

The Sonic stages were fine, some great, but there was a bunch of bullshit in both. Especially in the first one. I think the Chao Gardens caused people to just replay their favorite stages on repeat and that caused people to forget about the shitty parts.

I personally don’t think it’s much of a competition on the 3D side when most of the 3D games are infamous for how terrible they are.

I think SA2 is an absolute necessity for people to play. It's got a good story with different play styles that all make sense. However I do think that SADX is slightly better with control for sonic and treasure hunting stages in SADX feel a faster and more fun. If SA2 had the fire slide not get rid of your momentum in speed stages and the radar in the treasure hunting stages all were available to look at then I would say that SA2 is better.

On 12/6/2022 at 3:45 PM, Kane99 said:

Best 3D sonic game maybe, but I think the original 3 games are the best of the bunch. Once Sonic hit 3D, is when the series started to take a nosedive. I know people love Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, but the games to follow didn't do so hot. Especially when you get to Sonic 06 and some of the other games. 

But yeah, I'd say best 3D sonic game. 

Yeah I agree. I'll always prefer the 2D games as that's what I grew up with. However, I think in terms of 3D sonic, Sonic Adventure & Adventure 2 were probably the best out of the bunch. These new ones just don't feel as good.

Sonic is my favorite gaming franchise, and as much as I loved Sonic Adventure I still think the best Sonic game to date is still Sonic 3 and Knuckles. It not only introduced use to Knuckles, it took the formula of the first two games and amp it up. I will say though that Sonic Adventure is my favorite 3D Sonic title, so in a way it somewhat falls under the category of "Best Sonic title" just not the overall best IMO.