Register Now
ImmersionGaming22

Which game if any had the biggest emotional impact on you, so upset you, angered you or left you feeling very satisfied after completing it??

Hi all, as those of you who are familiar with me know, ive been gaming for many many moons, in fact i started gaming right when games first came out and because ive games all the way through the progression of video games, ive seen how they have changed, improved or declined in certain ways!

The easiest thing to measure in the progression of games is the quality of the graphics, physics and game engines, as you can plainly see the improvements over the years, but what ive also noticed is how games have progressed as in the quality of the storylines and how the devs have learnt how to better engage their audience in the story they are trying to tell.

For example i love multiple choice story based games (action adventures), such as heavy rain, beyond 2 souls and the Dark Pictures Anthology games, which are the only games I feature on my YouTube channel, as I believe they are the most immersive of all the games I play (just my opinion), not that I dont enjoy or get immersed in the the other game genre's, I just feel I get most immersed in these games. Whilst playing these games i have in the past become so invested in them that i feel genuine emotions while playing them, which is obviously a sign of a well written story and a well made game, for example may have become upset to the point of having tears in my eyes, o been so angry with a specific character or storyline that ive had to walk away from the game and calm down, again these are good signs as it shows how well the game is made! 🙂

My question to you guys is, firstly am I alone in feeling this way and getting so invested in certain games that I feel genuine emotions? and secondly if im not alone, what game/s got an emotional reaction out of you and why?

Take care all and stay Immersed!! 🙂

21 hours ago, ImmersionGaming22 said:

My question to you guys is, firstly am I alone in feeling this way and getting so invested in certain games that I feel genuine emotions?

Not at all. 🙂

Some games that I reacted very emotionally to include all the BioShock games, but especially Infinite, The Last of Us Parts 1 and 2, Stray, Spec Ops: The Line, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, and even some moments/quest lines/characters from various open world games.

Games in my opinion are supposed to pull you into the story I feel and that is why I feel most of us play video games and story based games. It's like when we watch TV or movies, the story line pulls us in and we feel emotion when something happens. It's perfectly normal for that to happen and I would never say it's unusual or weird to feel that way. The last game I remember feeling any emotion for was Destiny 2 when they killed Cayde 6 off, it was completely unexpected and because I had followed the story so far, it was a big shock.

The Last of Us definitely had the biggest emotional impact on me. I had no idea how that game was going to end and was dreading what might happen. Part 2 got me really hooked into the trip of wanting revenge, to understanding both sides, to eventually just wanting it to be over and knowing how pointless it all is.

Stray was another game where I got emotionally hooked right away because I wanted the cat to be okay and find its friends, although I found the ending utterly unsatisfying and a let down.

4 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

Not at all. 🙂

Some games that I reacted very emotionally to include all the BioShock games, but especially Infinite, The Last of Us Parts 1 and 2, Stray, Spec Ops: The Line, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, and even some moments/quest lines/characters from various open world games.

Wow major memory jog, yes i agree with every single game you have mentioned there Stacey, especially BioShock and even more so Mass Effect!! Mass Effect was one of the biggest games for me growing up, it really opened my eyes to the size of the universe and potential diversity of other races and how cool it would be to live side by side with such a variety of different sentient species. I have so many fond memories playing those games and was so so happy when they were revamped, as the younger generation really need some Mass Effect in their gaming portfolio lol I also loved how they included the same characters throughout the sequels, as you become so invested in those characters, even the baddies! 🙂 and i remember how upset i was when the killed Shepherd off, i really was devastated and nearly fell out with Bioware over it hahaha lol But with Bioshock it was more the ambience of the game and the atmosphere of an underwater metropolis, plus the relationship between the big daddies and the orphans was quite a powerful factor in the game too! thanks for jogging my memory Stacey, as my memory is shocking when trying to think of examples, while writing a topic like this, as i play/have played so many games i find it hard to recall specifics! Old age is probably a factor too! 🙂 but yeah brought back a lot of good memories reading your post, as like i say every game you mentioned also had meaning for me too! 🙂

2 hours ago, Shortie said:

Games in my opinion are supposed to pull you into the story I feel and that is why I feel most of us play video games and story based games. It's like when we watch TV or movies, the story line pulls us in and we feel emotion when something happens. It's perfectly normal for that to happen and I would never say it's unusual or weird to feel that way. The last game I remember feeling any emotion for was Destiny 2 when they killed Cayde 6 off, it was completely unexpected and because I had followed the story so far, it was a big shock.

Eyup Shortie thanks for your response! 🙂 I completely agree mate, but i personally believe that games are way more immersive, at least in my experience than films or TV, not that i dont get Immersed in films or telly, its just i get way more invested in games, probably due to me being in charge of the characters/story so you become, or at least I become way more emotionally invested in the story and or characters, But yes mate you are spot on with what you said! 🙂

Ive not actually played Destiny yet or Destiny 2, but they ae defo on my to play list, its just that ive been mainly playing story based action adventures of late, especially since starting my youTube channel, as that t he only games i feature, but yes for defo bud ill be playing them when i can, as ive watched the trailers for them both and its defo my kind of game! 🙂

1 hour ago, Moonface said:

The Last of Us definitely had the biggest emotional impact on me. I had no idea how that game was going to end and was dreading what might happen. Part 2 got me really hooked into the trip of wanting revenge, to understanding both sides, to eventually just wanting it to be over and knowing how pointless it all is.

Stray was another game where I got emotionally hooked right away because I wanted the cat to be okay and find its friends, although I found the ending utterly unsatisfying and a let down.

Eyup Moonface, yes bud Stray was had such potential but was really let down at the end, it was like they ran out of time or funding and had to rush the ending, as the body of the game was great and i was the same i was so invested in getting to cat back to his family, but i also loved all the robots and felt so sorry for them as they had such a pointless existence once their was no more humans, and ive not played the Last of us Unfortunately, as im a PC gamer, although i have considered buying a PS just for that game alone, as that game is right up my street! 🙂 I know i could emulate it on PC but the performance sucks from what ive seen so would only spoil the experience, from what ive heard though they might be coming to PC, much in the same way as heavy rain did, actually there is another game that had a big emotional impact on me thinking about it, Heavy rain, as the main Character lost his son in the shopping mall, who then got run over outside and killed, plus the serial killer had to watch his brother die and he could do nothing to save him, as he drowned in a sewer pipe that filled up while his foot was caught on something at the bottom of the pipe, so yeah that game really got an emotional response from me bigtime!! also I played Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice in VR, wow i cant tell you how immersive that was playing it in VR, if you've not seen it its about mental health issues, specifically schizophrenia i believe, where the your character hears voices, which was recorded on a 360 soundstage, so if you have good headphones on you hear the voices like she would coming from all directions or whispering in your ears, its a really daunting experience in all honesty and put the illness into perspective for me, but yeah playing it in VR with my quest 2 pugged into my gaming PC was out of this world, as your actually in the game then its mental, ill be playing number two, which has just come out in the same way as it really was and experience visually and audibly that stays with you! if you get the chance to pay it in VR i would defo recommend it without a doubt! 🙂

@ImmersionGaming22

I just want to quickly point out it is possible to quote multiple posts into a single reply. You can do this by hitting the "Quote" button again while typing your post;

1402720866_quote12022-12-08.png.22cfd47c2bf6af8bec19f57a8009dd0b.png

Or by hitting the "+" icon on the posts you wish to quote the past them all into your reply all at once.

1354543107_quote22022-12-08.png.eeb17d35d6a61673b2a91873171c80ef.png 

Edited by Shagger

The first game where I felt true immersion, was System Shock II, before that games, were just well, games, with zero emotional investment, they were nothing but neat toys. Yeah, including Half Life.

Quantic certainly has a way with playing on emotions, but I think their titles are borderline interactive movies, rather than videogames. The gameplay is very restrictive and basic in  them. I really hope that with SW Eclipse they can finally make a proper game with the same level of emotional  investment.

The most immersive game of all time for me is certainly Alien Isolation, I had to take breaks from playing it and couldn't play it at  night, otherwise I wouldn't be able to sleep.

As for emotional impact, Mass Effect 3, The Last of Us Part II, Beyond Two Souls, some parts of Heavy Rain, even Cyberpunk 2077 are up there.

Yes I have gotten emotionally involved in a game. I grow attached to the characters in RDR2. Arthur Morgan is like the father I never had. Hosea is like a caring uncle. Susan is a hardass mom that I never had also. Everyone else is cousins and friends that have become family.I feel all the hardships that they face. I have lived the way they live, for a few different reasons. I cry when Hosea and Lenny are killed. And I bawl like a baby when Arthur dies. I didn't cry when my own father died, nor did I cry when the only person who ever cared about me died, which was my grandmother. It's why when I play the game, I don't ever go past chapter 4 anymore. I just don't have it in me to see those things again.

I can't imagine a more emotional game. Or maybe I just don't want to.

On 12/8/2022 at 1:08 AM, Shagger said:

@ImmersionGaming22

I just want to quickly point out it is possible to multiple posts into a single reply. You can do this by hitting the "Quote" button again while typing your post;

Or by hitting the "+" icon on the posts you wish to quote the past them all into your reply all at once.

Thanks Shagger, i appreciate the info mate, told you I was a noob lol but yeah ill get there pal, especially with helpful people like u sending me nuggets of info like that!! 🙂

18 hours ago, m76 said:

The first game where I felt true immersion, was System Shock II, before that games, were just well, games, with zero emotional investment, they were nothing but neat toys. Yeah, including Half Life.

Quantic certainly has a way with playing on emotions, but I think their titles are borderline interactive movies, rather than videogames. The gameplay is very restrictive and basic in  them. I really hope that with SW Eclipse they can finally make a proper game with the same level of emotional  investment.

The most immersive game of all time for me is certainly Alien Isolation, I had to take breaks from playing it and couldn't play it at  night, otherwise I wouldn't be able to sleep.

As for emotional impact, Mass Effect 3, The Last of Us Part II, Beyond Two Souls, some parts of Heavy Rain, even Cyberpunk 2077 are up there.

Hi M76, thx for your reply mate 🙂 and wow System shock 2, there's a game ive not thought about in a long time lol, although ive got to say the only part i didn't agree with fully was the comment about half-life not being immersive?? Not that im saying your wrong, as like anything there is no right or wrong only opinions, but would like to know why you didn't get Immersed in half life, as its one of the all time greats!! 😞 But yeah mate Mass Effect defo one of the most influential gaming titles in my gaming portfolio without a doubt, as is Cyberpunk, which is still very prominent in my mind, as I played it very recently for the second time! 🙂  

I also get your point about quantic making games that are more interactive movies than full on games, but I personally think that's what makes them so Immersive, as they are like a cross between a game and a movie, so because you are not constantly having to be on the lookout, or ready with your trigger finger, you have more time to absorb the story and the emotions emanating from the characters, whereas like I say when playing a third or first person shooter your always on edge and a lot of times dont really have as much time to take everything in. To me this subject is a prime example of different game genres being better played when in the right frame of mind, much in the same way as you would listen to different music depending on your mood, so Reggie or soul to chill, dance, techno when feeling happy and energetic etc etc lol so yeah I play all game genres, but when im in a laid back chilled mood, with a glass of ale or jack D and just want to get engrossed in a really good storyline, I play a game like Detroit become human or heavy rain, as I much prefer having control of what direction the story goes in, instead of just the linear storyline of a film, so they are good for that when you are not in the mood for a full on game session if you get my meaning! 🙂  But yeah mate defo beyond 2 souls too, as I really felt for the main character growing up in a lab and being treat like a freak by the other kids, as I grew up in the 80's and had bad eczema, so not only was I picked on a lot by the other kids, but doctors were still trying new treatments for eczema at that point, so I guess you could say I was sort of a Guinea pig lol but it also made me the strong person I am today 🙂 so yeah i totally sympathized with the main character in beyond 2 souls, also as I said to Moonface above, the last of us is a game ive been dying to play for years, but im a PC gamer and dont like emulating games as it sucks the performance right out of games and that is a big deal for me, hence why im a PC gamer lol but yeah as Moonface said they should be coming to PC soon apparently and when they do ill be first in the que lol!

13 hours ago, Moonface said:

@ImmersionGaming22 The Last of Us Part 1 is coming to PC at some point soon but a date has yet to be announced for it. I would expect Part 2 will also go to PC eventually too because of that, so you won't need to emulate either of them in that case nor buy a PS4.

Hi again Moonface, yeah that's what I read too, dont know exactly when, but they will defo come at some point! 🙂 they just try and squeeze every bit of profit out of exclusives before releasing them for other platforms, which I totally get, as that the whole idea of an exclusive! 🙂 but yeah mate PS4 isn't an option bud, as high FPS and graphics is a big deal for me mate, that's why im a PC gamer lol, not that I dont game on consoles when I have to, but prefer games that I really want to get engrossed in to be played in the best possible way, so like I say with the highest FPS and graphics setting possible, so that's why ive waited for the PC release! 🙂 dont get me wrong though mate, im not in any way one of those PC master race types lol who thinks anything less than a high powered overclocked gaming rig isn't worth bothering with lol I just a have a very high appreciation for the best possible realism I can get in games, so with the higher FPS it moves smoother and more natural and obviously with better graphics it looks more real lol so yeah mate im all about max immersion, hence the name of my channel lol but yeah ill give my verdict when I have the pleasure of playing them, as ive waited so so long! 🙂

9 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Yes I have gotten emotionally involved in a game. I grow attached to the characters in RDR2. Arthur Morgan is like the father I never had. Hosea is like a caring uncle. Susan is a hardass mom that I never had also. Everyone else is cousins and friends that have become family.I feel all the hardships that they face. I have lived the way they live, for a few different reasons. I cry when Hosea and Lenny are killed. And I bawl like a baby when Arthur dies. I didn't cry when my own father died, nor did I cry when the only person who ever cared about me died, which was my grandmother. It's why when I play the game, I don't ever go past chapter 4 anymore. I just don't have it in me to see those things again.

I can't imagine a more emotional game. Or maybe I just don't want to.

Hey Blackangel, thx for your reply! 🙂 and yes wow i forgot how Immersed i got in RDR2, well both the RDR games, as I played the first one too when it was released and got engrossed in that one too! :), but yeah mate I was devastated when Arthur died, Hosea and Lenny too, but I was equally annoyed at Micah and Dutch, who I really felt betrayed by lol I also felt a real sense of family with all the girls in our group, tbh it was just an all round well made, historically accurate game, which gave a real sense of what it must of been like to live in those wild west days!

I also get your point about you Grandmother too, as I was mainly brought up by my Nanna (grandmother lol) too, as my mum was a single parent who had to work long hours to bring me and my brother up, so we were always at my nans, but im so glad we were, as she taught me so much about life in my early years, probably due to her many years of life experience and the bond I forged with my nan was bulletproof and even now that she has passed, she is forever in my heart and thoughts and I look forward to the day we meet again! 🙂 so yeah I get you there too! 🙂

6 hours ago, killamch89 said:
  • Spec Ops: The Line
  • The Last Of Us
  • Socom
  • Deus Ex Human Revolution/Mankind Divided
  • Alien Isolation
  • COD Modern Warfare

Eyup Killamch89! 🙂 yes every one of those I agree with, but most of all spec ops and Deus ex, both fantastic games and came out at a point when I believe video game devs, really started turning the immersion levels up to 11 in games, as from that point on the games and their storylines just seem to really up the bar in leaps and bounds, or maybe i was just at an age where i could appreciate them better from that point on??

On 12/8/2022 at 1:08 AM, Shagger said:

@ImmersionGaming22

I just want to quickly point out it is possible to multiple posts into a single reply. You can do this by hitting the "Quote" button again while typing your post;

How about that then Shagger, 4 posts in 1 reply, now whos the chat expert hahahaha thx again bud! 🙂