Register Now
Kane99

Microsoft has 10 year commitment to bring COD to Nintendo consoles

Sounds like Microsoft are opening up the COD franchise to more than just PlayStation, as they're not working on bringing COD back to the Nintendo brand. It's clear MS know what they're doing, and that's getting that money. Now with Nintendo on the boards to getting a COD of their own, maybe now we can see COD grace all consoles once again. 

Also, it's being said that they're also keeping their deal with Steam to keep COD on steam as well. I honestly didn't expect it, but it seems like Phil Spencer really wants to make right by supporting more than just Xbox. 

This is amazing to see! I love that Phil Spencer really does want gaming to be accessible and for everyone and with all the ideas he has much like this one again he is going to ensure that everyone no matter what platform will be able to play a game and not be left behind. Gaming really is about being included no matter what platform you play on and with cross play and cross platform now being a thing as well, you no longer have to have access to all consoles to be able to play with friends or family on another. Phil Spencer is amazing and I honestly can not wait to see what else he has in store for the gaming community.

It's a smart move on Microsoft and Nintendo's part as they'll both benefit but what I'm curious about is why Sony never agreed to this deal. If the article that I read the other day was correct, Sony turned down this very deal and it was even better than the offer that Nintendo got.

That's cool, I'm surprised Activision never released a COD game on the Switch, especially when you consider its popularity and the lack of online first-person shooters.

"I'm also pleased to confirm that Microsoft has committed to continue to offer Call of Duty on Steam simultaneously to Xbox after we have closed the merger with Activision Blizzard King."

It's just been a long time coming, since Nintendo hasn't had a COD since like the Wii or maybe Wii U. I forget. I just know that Activision and company didn't want to support Nintendo consoles because of the hardware limitations. But they had no trouble releasing COD4, WAW and others on the Wii and even the DS back in the day. I'm sure they could tone the graphics down to make it happen. 

Otherwise, a new Switch with better hardware could be coming, and in which case, COD could grace Nintendo consoles again. 

This is great news, especially for Switch owners, being able to take CoD on the go is a great idea. The last 'mobile' game on the Vita wasn't the greatest. I would love to see something like CoD mobile come to consoles though tbh.

Something like COD mobile would be amazing to see come to consoles and Nintendo Switch would probably be the perfect console for that. I have COD mobile on my phone and I have played it a few times and I do enjoy it and seeing that come to something like the Nintendo Switch would be great. As much as I don't mind using the phone screen to interact with the game, controllers and joy-cons are so much better.

On 12/12/2022 at 2:25 PM, Kane99 said:

It's just been a long time coming, since Nintendo hasn't had a COD since like the Wii or maybe Wii U. I forget. I just know that Activision and company didn't want to support Nintendo consoles because of the hardware limitations. But they had no trouble releasing COD4, WAW and others on the Wii and even the DS back in the day. I'm sure they could tone the graphics down to make it happen. 

Otherwise, a new Switch with better hardware could be coming, and in which case, COD could grace Nintendo consoles again. 

You're right - it's been ages since like the Modern Warfare days if I'm not mistaken. Now if we could get other titles like Mortal Kombat to make a return on the Switch, that would be marvelous.

On 12/7/2022 at 1:51 PM, Kane99 said:

Sounds like Microsoft are opening up the COD franchise to more than just PlayStation, as they're not working on bringing COD back to the Nintendo brand. It's clear MS know what they're doing, and that's getting that money. Now with Nintendo on the boards to getting a COD of their own, maybe now we can see COD grace all consoles once again. 

Also, it's being said that they're also keeping their deal with Steam to keep COD on steam as well. I honestly didn't expect it, but it seems like Phil Spencer really wants to make right by supporting more than just Xbox. 

depending on the game play and the price tag, i might be interested in giving that a try. so many of my friends are on COD.

On 12/8/2022 at 7:51 PM, killamch89 said:

It's a smart move on Microsoft and Nintendo's part as they'll both benefit but what I'm curious about is why Sony never agreed to this deal. If the article that I read the other day was correct, Sony turned down this very deal and it was even better than the offer that Nintendo got.

It's because Sony is waiting to see what happens to the investigations. Sony knows that if they agree, then that agreement will weigh against the investigation. Plus, what happens after 10 years? It's only to buy Microsoft time hoping that the FTC will have a different head that is more Microsoft friendly and look the other way. 

On 12/16/2022 at 9:56 PM, killamch89 said:

You're right - it's been ages since like the Modern Warfare days if I'm not mistaken. Now if we could get other titles like Mortal Kombat to make a return on the Switch, that would be marvelous.

I think last one was Call of Duty World at War, but I may be wrong. I think it came out for the Wii. I don't remember if they released anything for the Wii U or since. But I might be wrong. There may have been one or two on the Wii U. 

The most recent Mortal Kombat game came out on the Switch. Albeit it wasn't as good looking as the other versions, but it plays from what I hear. 

22 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

It's because Sony is waiting to see what happens to the investigations. Sony knows that if they agree, then that agreement will weigh against the investigation. Plus, what happens after 10 years? It's only to buy Microsoft time hoping that the FTC will have a different head that is more Microsoft friendly and look the other way. 

And PlayStation couldn't make a viable competitor in ten years? Like we're talking about 2032 until we gotta worry about that, and PlayStation wouldn't be able to prepare for that?

On 12/18/2022 at 4:24 PM, Kane99 said:

I think last one was Call of Duty World at War, but I may be wrong. I think it came out for the Wii. I don't remember if they released anything for the Wii U or since. But I might be wrong. There may have been one or two on the Wii U. 

The most recent Mortal Kombat game came out on the Switch. Albeit it wasn't as good looking as the other versions, but it plays from what I hear. 

No wonder I didn't remember World At War, the game was horrible. I didn't remember about Mortal Kombat 11 for the Switch - The Trilogy Edition of GTA for the Switch is also trash...

What I want to know, is why didn't Nintendo make their own version of a CoD game, and just call it something else? That would have been easy for them with the technological capabilities they have. They didn't have to go through Activision Blizzard for it. As long as it wasn't the same engine or script, but the same game in most ways, they're in the clear.