Register Now
ImmersionGaming22

Right bit of a weird one for you, regarding uploading your psyche into a video game!! :)

Hi again all, right ive been sat thinking again and while doing so came up with todays topic, so i have seen in the past in certain films where they have the ability to download people psyche and memories, which i suppose is a sort of backup of you in case the worse was to happen, ive seen this idea used in many different and weird ways in films, but my idea is a a bit more on the fun side! 🙂

Right so lets just say that the technology for uploading your psyche and memories into a digital format was invented and available. A company came up with the idea of being able to upload your psyche into any game world of your choice and any character you want, be it one already established in a game or one of your own making. Once this has been done it is irreversible and that world will then become your new world and life and your real body would die. In this new world you would not be able to tell it isn't real, as to you it would be, much in the same way as if we all actually live in a simulation in real life, like millions of people believe we do. So food would taste as it should, anything you touch would feel as it should and smells etc etc etc so all in all it would to you be just as real as the real world!

My take on this would be to wait until im at the end of my natural life, or carry like a medical card stating that if im in an accident and there is a good chance i wont survive, that they have my permission to upload my psyche into the game of my choice, so that way i get to live my natural life, then be uploaded into my game of choice for my second life lol Now comes the hard part what game world would i choose, well ive got to say at this point im really undecided as there is so many to choose from that i would really love to be able to visit in real life, but i think one of the main contenders has got to be Mass Effect, as not only would earth still be there, at least in some form, in case i got home sick lol but there would be a whole galaxy to explore and the ability to do so, plus id love to meet all the various sentient races from the Mass Effect titles. Also though in the same way as Mass Effect there is the eve galaxy, which is way bigger than the Mass Effect galaxy, but its the Mass Effect worlds l like and the characters. I would like to say id be uploaded into Shepheard (the main hero of Mas Effect)  and live as him, but i think i would much rather be uploaded as a young lad and grow up in this world as my own character forging my own path through this world, but with all the knowledge and life experience from this life! As i say though im as yet un decided 100% as the more i think about it the harder it becomes to make a decision, as like i say its irreversible remember! 🙂

So yeah that's my question to you all, what if any world would you be uploaded too and which character and why? I know it a weird one this but it really got my cogs turning! 🙂

I would never be able to make up my mind on what world I would want to live in or what character to be. It's pretty much immortality you would be stuck in for eternity. And if I died in the game world, the system would have saved my life at some point to start again. And it's hard to pick a game world because it seems every world is at war in some way. But I guess it's like that in real life too. I have a couple issues with this concept such as having my own psyche mixed up with a character's psyche that a developer created. I would have a mental struggle with the character's narrative and my own. What if they hold a lot of pain I'd be stuck with. But let's say it is only my own psyche in there. I'm in a game world so who is to say somebody won't end up actually playing the game and controlling me. I would live for eternity being controlled by somebody else. They would force me to run into a blaze of glory or kill what I don't want to kill. I could die a million deaths and feel the pain every time.

Mass Effect does sound cool to travel different planets or even No Man's Sky. Elysium map in AC Odyssey DLC would be an awesome world to live in. But even then the goddess could end up controlling my mind. I would probably go with a character that has magic abilities and have fun with it. Or maybe I'd live in The Witcher 3 world and go to the brothel every day. Or maybe even the Assassin's Creed world and go into the animus and explore any time in history to see how it was like.

Lots of options. If I were guaranteed I wouldn't be controlled by someone else in the real world, then I probably would live in the game world. 

On 12/11/2022 at 2:59 AM, Reality vs Adventure said:

I would never be able to make up my mind on what world I would want to live in or what character to be. It's pretty much immortality you would be stuck in for eternity. And if I died in the game world, the system would have saved my life at some point to start again. And it's hard to pick a game world because it seems every world is at war in some way. But I guess it's like that in real life too. I have a couple issues with this concept such as having my own psyche mixed up with a character's psyche that a developer created. I would have a mental struggle with the character's narrative and my own. What if they hold a lot of pain I'd be stuck with. But let's say it is only my own psyche in there. I'm in a game world so who is to say somebody won't end up actually playing the game and controlling me. I would live for eternity being controlled by somebody else. They would force me to run into a blaze of glory or kill what I don't want to kill. I could die a million deaths and feel the pain every time.

Mass Effect does sound cool to travel different planets or even No Man's Sky. Elysium map in AC Odyssey DLC would be an awesome world to live in. But even then the goddess could end up controlling my mind. I would probably go with a character that has magic abilities and have fun with it. Or maybe I'd live in The Witcher 3 world and go to the brothel every day. Or maybe even the Assassin's Creed world and go into the animus and explore any time in history to see how it was like.

Lots of options. If I were guaranteed I wouldn't be controlled by someone else in the real world, then I probably would live in the game world. 

Hahahaha Hi Reality vs Adventure, thanks for your detailed and and very deeply thought about response, that's exactly the kind of response i was looking for, as yes you are correct, this sort of topic is very hard to give an exact context too, as there are so many variables involved! 🙂 I blow my own mind sometimes when thinking about things like this, as you can take it in any number of directions and possible scenarios.

My thinking was that as this technology is very advanced to say the least, it would have to be some time in the future, by which time processing power and the size of components needed for large scale storage of information would be much better than now, so their would be many different options available based on preference or cost, but what i imagined for the sake of this topic was a closed off world, so not one played by actual players, so no chance of someone playing your character and you being taken along for the ride at their mercy, wow how bad would that be lol! No these are more like closed off servers, for example where the world is just uploaded beforehand and then once you are uploaded into it you are left alone to live your life in your new world, that's where the future tech would come into it, as storage of all these worlds that people are living in and the processing power needed to run them would no longer be an issue, plus the tech needed to guarantee that the power needed to keep the world running would never be lost. That is also where the cost of the package you purchase could also come into it, so you could either opt to be uploaded into the game/character of your choice, on your own world, with no other real people being uploaded, so all other characters would be AI, very advanced AI though, that were indistinguishable from real human uploads, which isn't to far fetched based on current AI technology. Or for less money you could be uploaded to a shared server, where you could either purchase whatever characters are left to be uploaded too, or one of your own creating. You are also correct about your comment about immortality, again that would probably come down to cost in a real world situation, so you would purchase a package based on duration, lets say in 10 years increments lol or an indefinite executive package, with an abort function you could activate if you had enough (basically digital suicide) as im sure any world would become boring after a certain amount of time, probably a long time like if the universe was big enough like mass effect for example, but still a get out option would be needed, as i know personally i would not want to live forever, everything has to come to an end eventually. I think living for as long as an Asari (about 1000 years) would probably be enough! 🙂

But yeah mate like i say it was a difficult one this, as there are so many variables, so was hard to just standardize it for the sake of this topic lol I agree with you about the AC world being very interesting and the ability to travel to the different time periods would be awesome, the only problem being the AC worlds are very small and linear, so would not take long before you had seen and experienced everything (by not long im talking about timescales measured in decades) but yeah mate i agree about not being able to decide where you would want uploading too, as i still cant decide! I think in reality it would be better if you could be uploaded to one world until you had enough of it then be re uploaded to another world, that would be way better lol but again would open up so many other variables, such as degradation of your digital self, through repeatedly uploading to different worlds, so yeah it was a difficult one to convey this, as this the sort of subject you could discuss for hours regarding the possibilities and possible problems that may arise from it, you've got to admit it would be cool as though! 🙂 

But yeah thanks again for your reply mate and for your opinion on a very intricate subject lol! 🙂 I think for the sake of this topic though, to prevent short novel sized responses like this one, we best just keep it to what game world/character and why hahaha

Take care bud! 🙂

Did you happen to watch Chappie and that show Upload recently? :D I was reminded of that movie show right when you mentioned uploading ones psyche into a robot, machine or computer. I think the idea of uploading your psyche to something to live in, is cool. But in reality, you're not living on technically, it's just another version of you, a copy essentially. I don't think it would ever be possible to move our current selves into some computer, or robot body. We may be able to copy our brains, but I don't think we'll ever get to a point where we could transfer our current selves into it. Because if it's essentially a copy, the person you are now, won't be experiencing any of this afterlife, instead your copied over psyche or subconscious would be. 

If it were possible to put my actual brain, in a machine to live on, that would be far more appealing to me, since I would technically live on. But otherwise, I'd just be creating another version of me. Sure it could be cool to leave behind for a family member or friend, but I'd much rather to live on than have a version of me live on. 

But if there is a way to put my brain in a virtual world, and mimic real life, that would be awesome. 

This is actually a very interesting one and one I can not say myself I have ever thought of even though it may be very much possible to achieve. I feel as though I would struggle to decide what kind of world I would want to end up in  and also what character I would want to be. I feel if I was to choose any character, would myself be an option as I feel that would be cool to experience if I am honest.

Oh man! I wouldn't know what world to live in! For me, it'd probably be either Yakuza (Japan) or perhaps PSO? I wouldn't mind living on a cool spaceship going down to the main planet killing monsters with cool weapons 😄 

If i was able to be myself that'd be cool but I would probably modify myself a bit. I wouldn't have this beer belly 😛

On 12/12/2022 at 7:16 PM, Kane99 said:

Did you happen to watch Chappie and that show Upload recently? 😄 I was reminded of that movie show right when you mentioned uploading ones psyche into a robot, machine or computer. I think the idea of uploading your psyche to something to live in, is cool. But in reality, you're not living on technically, it's just another version of you, a copy essentially. I don't think it would ever be possible to move our current selves into some computer, or robot body. We may be able to copy our brains, but I don't think we'll ever get to a point where we could transfer our current selves into it. Because if it's essentially a copy, the person you are now, won't be experiencing any of this afterlife, instead your copied over psyche or subconscious would be. 

If it were possible to put my actual brain, in a machine to live on, that would be far more appealing to me, since I would technically live on. But otherwise, I'd just be creating another version of me. Sure it could be cool to leave behind for a family member or friend, but I'd much rather to live on than have a version of me live on. 

But if there is a way to put my brain in a virtual world, and mimic real life, that would be awesome. 

Hi again Kane99, i hope your well! 🙂

No mate ive not watched Chappie or upload, but i will defo have a look now you have made me aware of them! As to your comment regarding the uploaded self being a copy, my thinking on that was that the operation could only be done once because the process of copying a whole human beings psyche, is that evasive that it effectively ends your human life and you then become the digital format of yourself. This is why i said i would only opt for it when i was at the end of my life, or same as people can carry donor cards, to donate their organs should the worst happen, you would be able to carry the "download my psyche" card if you were in some sort of accident etc etc, so from that point on you would no longer exists in your flesh and blood form and only in the digital form, which obviously rules out the copy scenario lol But yes mate i totally get your point of if the real you and digital you were to co exists, the digital you would be a copy, ending at the point when it was created, but it would from that point on have its own memories from whatever world it was uploaded too, so i guess from then on if you were both to still co exists you would become 2 different people, because its our life experiences that makes us who and what we are, hahaha like i said to Reality vs Adventure above mate, this was a hard topic to convey, as there are so many variables and what ifs, as then there would be the morality of it all too to contend with, but yes mate it is  very interesting topic and no to far off ready player 1 in some respects, although obviously that's more around VR with all the haptics suits on and so forth. I was just interested if anyone would go for it and what world they would want to be uploaded too, as i can sit and chat for hours over the technical side of it but probs not the best idea on here loll as it would go on for pages lol

I do like you idea too though regarding popping your grey matter out and plugging that into the world instead, reminds me of the baddie robot in Robocop 2, where they took the brain out of Kane, the big drug dealer guy and plonked it in a big military grade robot that dwarfed Robocop (what could possibly go wrong with that idea lol) But yes mate for you are right it would be cool and at the rate of progression we are traveling at with technology, it wont be long before a lot of the above is possible and i for one cant wait to see what they come up with next! 🙂

On 12/13/2022 at 12:27 AM, Shortie said:

This is actually a very interesting one and one I can not say myself I have ever thought of even though it may be very much possible to achieve. I feel as though I would struggle to decide what kind of world I would want to end up in  and also what character I would want to be. I feel if I was to choose any character, would myself be an option as I feel that would be cool to experience if I am honest.

Hey Shortie i hope your good! 🙂

Yes i completely agree with you, the choice of what world to be uploaded into is a very hard choice to make, ive often thought about this topic over the years and i still cant decide lol And yes mate being yourself is totally an option, without a doubt, infact i think that would be my choice in all honesty, as i would want to live in and experience these worlds as me and not anyone else, but i know that some people, for whateva reason, may want the option to be a specific character, either because they just love that character or because they have low self esteem etc etc  but yes mate im with you on that one, i would defo want to be myself without a doubt, maybe a small enhancement here and there lol like bigger muscles and so on hahaha but yes mate how cool would that be, actually getting to live in some of the fantastic game worlds that have been created over the years, and also how terrifying in some of them too, like doom for example lol 🙂

On 12/16/2022 at 3:16 AM, Smokey said:

Oh man! I wouldn't know what world to live in! For me, it'd probably be either Yakuza (Japan) or perhaps PSO? I wouldn't mind living on a cool spaceship going down to the main planet killing monsters with cool weapons 😄 

If i was able to be myself that'd be cool but I would probably modify myself a bit. I wouldn't have this beer belly 😛

hahaha Hey Smokey i hope you are well! 🙂

Yes mate Yakuza would be cool and im guessing by PSO your referring to Phantasy Star Online?? I agree with the space thing bud, that why i thought Mass Effect would be cool, as i would love to visit the citadel and all the different races from across the universe! 🙂 and yes mate being yourself is totally an option, like i was saying to Shortie above i would also prefer to be myself and experience the worlds as me, but yeah defo with a few tweaks to buff ourselves up, why not if its possible hahaha! 🙂

On 12/19/2022 at 9:28 PM, killamch89 said:

Nah - I'd much rather die when my time comes. There's no way I'm agreeing to that - yes, I may claim you'll "live forever" but in reality, there are certain things that cannot be uploaded no matter how much technology advances and that's the emotions of a person and how they'll react to a situation. 

Hi Killamch89 hope your well mate! 🙂

I completely get your point mate and dont disagree with you in the slightest, i was saying in one of the posts i quoted that i would want an expiry date, as no matter what world you are uploaded into, you would eventually have seen everything and would inevitably get bored, so i stated that i would have a max life span of 1000 years (same as an Asari lifespan from mass effect) but with a kill switch or kill word that i could use if ive had enough, basically digital suicide! 🙂 so yeah mate i get your point about immortality. Also as to the emotions issue, there are so many variables and possible difficulties when talkin about un invented tech, that we could chew the fat for hours just on that subject alone lol but for the sake of this topic we are just gonna pretend that the technology has been invented to be able to copy the complete human psyche, emotions and all, so a complete digital copy of you and your traits! Like i say mate i know its far fetched and we could list the possible problems with this tech, but just for fun lets say it exists! 🙂 its more

, but-about if you would go for it and if so would you want any rules to be factored into your upload, like my 1000 year max life span for example and also what world/character you would want uploading to! But yeah mate if its not something you would be up for then that's valid too, as  it would not be for everyone and would defo cause controversy! 🙂

On 12/21/2022 at 7:15 PM, StaceyPowers said:

Fascinating post and question. Mass Effect actually sounds like the best/most logical choice for me as well. I'd rather be uploaded as me though, with my memories intact (at least the most important ones). 

Hey Stacey, i hope you are well! 🙂 Yes mate it is very interesting, ive sat and thought about this idea numerous times and still cant decide 100% on where i would be uploaded, but yeah Mass Effect is my strongest contender and yes mate defo be myself and all your memories would be uploaded as it would be an exact digital copy of your psyche, warts and all! 🙂

So this is basically a Matrix question? Aren't we already doing that? I mean the only difference I can see from your question is that we choose the world we would live in. If it's my option, it would easily be Hyrule. The N64 Ocarina Of Time version. My personal favorite. It's an extremely laid back world, as long as Ganon is kept in check. There is one other option that comes to mind for me. The world of FF8. I've always wanted to live in Fisherman's Horizon (FH). It seems to be so laid back. Quiet. Calm. Peaceful. If that wasn't an option, the only other town I would want to live in would have to be Winhill.

RDR2 does have a foot in this race, but that's just because there are so many cabins and shacks to choose from.

On 12/25/2022 at 11:10 AM, ImmersionGaming22 said:

ive sat and thought about this idea numerous times and still cant decide 100% on where i would be uploaded,

What are your other contenders?

The other place I wouldn't mind being uploaded to would be a non-fascist, non-racist, irreligious version of Columbia from BioShock Infinite. I want to live in a sky city with equality for all.

Also, I don't think immortality would be a problem, but boredom would. But if the universes in question were continually evolving and added to, it might not be an issue. 

And I assume we get to hang out with other real people after we are uploaded? If so, that should solve a large chunk of the boredom problem.

20 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

What are your other contenders?

The other place I wouldn't mind being uploaded to would be a non-fascist, non-racist, irreligious version of Columbia from BioShock Infinite. I want to live in a sky city with equality for all.

Also, I don't think immortality would be a problem, but boredom would. But if the universes in question were continually evolving and added to, it might not be an issue. 

And I assume we get to hang out with other real people after we are uploaded? If so, that should solve a large chunk of the boredom problem.

Hi again StaceyPowers, i hope you had a good xmas! 🙂

"What are your other contenders?" wow so so many lol but yeah i have to agree sky city would be awesome, i would also love to visit Rapture from BioShock one, but im a bit torn on whether i would like to visit it before it all went tits up or after, as even after things went awry, it had a post apocalyptic vibe (which im a massive fan of by the way!) on top of the obvious beauty of an underwater metropolis, so yeah defo the BioShock worlds. I would also like to visit Gotham from the batman games, as ive always loved the chaotic city of Gotham. I would love to visit the worlds from both final fantasies 7 and 8, which were the two FF's that had the biggest impact on me. ive always wanted to enter a Chocobo race and visit Midgar lol! 🙂  i would love to experience the fallout worlds, so probably fallout 3 or Vegas, again my post apocalyptic fetish lol only problem with the fallout worlds are how small they are. I would also love to visit the elder scrolls worlds, mainly Skyrim, or the Dragonage world, although i would want pretty high stats to live in those worlds lol I would really like to be in Knight city from cyberpunk, where i could upgrade myself to my hearts content, Not to the level that the Maelstrom or the Animals did, but more under the hood enhancements that would improve my abilities without looking like Robocop 🙂 like i say there are so many worlds i would love to visit, for various different reasons, so if it ever became a reality i dont think i would end up doing it, as i would not be able to choose lol! 🙂

18 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I would be willing to upload anywhere if my entire memory would be wiped.

Hi again Blackangel, i hope you had a good xmas! 🙂

I hear what your saying, as we've all been through crap we would rather forget, but on the other hand mate i believe its those bad experiences that give us strength and define us, as at the end of the day mate your still here, so speaks volumes about your strength of character and makes you a much harder target for anyone else who might try take the p*!s out of you! If you were to have your memory wiped, you would in effect be starting again, which may have its pro's, but you would then have to learn the hard lessons all over again too, so i think i personally would keep all my memories, good and bad, as that is all part of me and who i am now! 🙂 but again mate its a matter of opinion, there is no wrong or right answer, only personal preference! I can understand though why some might choose to unload their unwanted baggage, if it causes more hurt than it gives strength to you! 🙂

Edited by ImmersionGaming22

2 hours ago, ImmersionGaming22 said:

so probably fallout 3 or Vegas, again my post apocalyptic fetish lol only problem with the fallout worlds are how small they are. I

The Fallout universe actually wouldn't be a bad place to end up. Where else can you get self-healing limbs from radiation exposure? 

Hmm, if @The Blackangel will be uploaded with her memory wiped, I'll be uploaded where she goes so we can meet all over again.