Register Now
Smokey

Is Gamerscore important to you?

On Xbox, each time you earn an achievement, you get points towards your overall 'gamerscore'. This is a huge accolade to some and they take pride in having a large gamer score. There are a bunch of achievement hunters out there. I don't mind my score being on the lower side, but I do like the feeling of accomplishment when I get certain achievements in games. I have a buddy who just ended a 486 day streak of getting an achievement a day. This wasn't intentional of course, but he says he's gonna try redoing it starting January 1st. 

What do you think? Are you someone who cares about gamerscore & achievements?

I used to be someone who focused on my gamerscore, especially when I was achievement hunting way back. I am at the moment at 73,238 and I haven't gained any more achievements to be honest since earlier this year I believe. If I am playing a game and I get an achievement that's great but I don't tend to focus on my gamerscore as much now as I used to. Getting to 100,000 would be a great achievement though 🙂

I wouldn't say it was important to me, I just liked getting achievements. Early on I was about them, trying to find easy games to get them, but as I got to a point, I kinda chilled out on it. Now days I don't really try to get achievements unless it's for a game I'm really into and want to open everything. But most games I just like to play until I finish and maybe play the multiplayer mode. 

I currently have 130,681 gamerscore on Xbox, and I do try for some achievements in most games I play, but I don't try to go 100% for everything. I also don't ever bother with multiplayer achievements unless it's a game I can see myself playing for a long time. 

The real question is if you are having fun or not. Sure competition is fun in itself, but in the end video games are for fun and entertainment. If you can be competitive, be good at it, AND have fun then more power to you. But none of it matters if you aren't having fun.

On 12/24/2022 at 11:20 PM, Empire said:

The real question is if you are having fun or not. Sure competition is fun in itself, but in the end video games are for fun and entertainment. If you can be competitive, be good at it, AND have fun then more power to you. But none of it matters if you aren't having fun.

This is very true. Some people get addicted to achievement hunting and if they are having fun doing that then that is understandable. If it becomes more like a chore to be hunting for achievements and you are finding yourself getting bored and not having fun, that would be the time to look at why you are doing it and whether you should continue. I know for a while it was like a trend for people to achievement hunt and everyone would compare gamerscores. Nowadays it's not quite as popular. 

On 12/24/2022 at 6:20 PM, Empire said:

Yeah that's really what matters. I will say, that I have played some games longer than I should've, because I was trying to collect every achievement, even the mundane and boring ones. I don't tend to do that anymore for games. If it's something that's tedious and takes too long, and isn't worth much, I probably won't even bother attempting to get it. These days I play games to have fun, not to collect every achievement. I used to try doing that, but life is short and I ain't got time to try and find everything, and do everything in a game. If I finish the base game, than that's all I need to do. 

I was really into earning achievements and collecting gamerscore back in the 360 era, but not so much any more. If I've beaten a game and see that I am just missing a few, easy to get achievements to 100% the game, I might go back and do them, but not if it involves something I wouldn't consider fun.

On 5/2/2023 at 9:46 PM, Anders said:

I was really into earning achievements and collecting gamerscore back in the 360 era, but not so much any more. If I've beaten a game and see that I am just missing a few, easy to get achievements to 100% the game, I might go back and do them, but not if it involves something I wouldn't consider fun.

I feel the achievement system is a little outdated now and back when it was new it was popular and everyone wanted a high gamer score. Now it's something that has been out a while with no changes and because of that, the phase everyone went through has phased out. 

I would love to see an updated achievement system if I am honest.