Register Now
Smokey

Is gaming a 'worthless' hobby?

I hear this a lot from non-gamer oriented people, that you're 'wasting your time' playing video games? Do you agree with this? I would argue it's no different than sitting and aimlessly watching television for hours on end. I feel like at least with gaming, you're engaging with a story and world, you're moving a character around and doing exploration and other activities. Where as watching a movie or TV show, you're just sat there staring at the screen.   What do you think? Do you think gaming is a 'wase of time' sort of hobby?

Playing video games will never cure cancer, reverse pollution nor undo Hitler, so like it or not the statement that playing video games is a waste of time rings true, at least to some extent. However, the same  is also true of golf, model trains and the effort one puts into building a sex dungeon. In other words, it's a hobby, a pastime, the clue is in the name. I suppose it is possible to achieve great things by being passionate and dedicated to a pastime, but that's not the point of a hobby. For example, the leather pool/snooker cue tip was invented by a bored French prisoner, a prisoner who ended up asking for more prison time to develop his invention.

But that's not the point, the point is that whilst hobbies may allow the space for inspiration, they aren't necessarily the drive behind it. They are just ways to amuse oneself. They are not there to hurt anyone, but they are not there to help anyone either. Video games are the same, just like any other hobby. No more, but no less.

Edited by Shagger

It's definitely NOT a worthless hobby. It's pretty much the way of the future. You have communication with others through gaming and making friends; it can be used in schools to help educate; it could have therapeutic effect through VR; there is the art of photography using the photo mode feature; there are job opportunities; there is competition gaming and also through esports; there is military training and could be used for all sorts of job training through simulations. Playing for fun is just one of the many things that's great about gaming. 

54 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

It's definitely NOT a worthless hobby. It's pretty much the way of the future. You have communication with others through gaming and making friends; it can be used in schools to help educate; it could have therapeutic effect through VR; there is the art of photography using the photo mode feature; there are job opportunities; there is competition gaming and also through esports; there is military training and could be used for all sorts of job training through simulations. Playing for fun is just one of the many things that's great about gaming. 

That's a great way of looking at it! That's why I don't understand people when they say it's a useless/worthless hobby that's a waste of time. I've read about studies that have helped kids with learning & mental disabilities cope with said issues through gaming. If it's helping people like that, how can it be worthless? 

All too often especially when I was growing up you would always get your grandparents saying "Playing those video games is a waste of time, you should be outside playing" and it would often get me thinking am I wasting my time playing these games? The more I grew up and the more I gamed, the more I realised just how much gaming helps me especially mentally. I could sit and watch TV all day and do absolutely nothing or I could sit and play a game, keep my brain working and have it help me in more ways than just having fun. Gaming is definitely not a worthless hobby and I am so glad that people are now taking gaming much more seriously especially in how it helps people. 

I'm gonna get downvoted for this but if gaming is your only hobby or one of your only hobbies and that you play multiples hours a day, almost everyday, it's an addiction. Gamers don't like to hear this. The addiction is further reinforced by playing online with people who are also addicted and the behavior is normalized. I'm willing to bet a huge proportion of online gamers are addicted to it. I could be projecting because I've been addicted to gaming most of my life but I've met and played with so many people like me and in my experience gamers are in full denial of it.

It doesn't make them bad people or worthless. Gaming is not a worthless hobby in and of itself but when it's got a hold of you, you miss out on so many other great things that can bring you so much more than the dopamine rush you get by doing the same shit in front of a screen for hours on end. I've come to realize this about myself and i'm trying to change because life is passing me by. If any gamer is reading this, I get that the initial reaction is to get defensive about it.I get that it doesn't necessarily apply to you. But if you identify even a little bit to what I wrote, there's a good chance that it does apply to you.

It's worthless to those not in the hobby. That's really it. I wouldn't say it's worthless to me, because for me I enjoy gaming, it makes me happy, relaxes me, etc. So I wouldn't say it's wortless. 

If anything, it's another one of our hobbies that others may or may not enjoy. And that's okay. Not everyone is going to be a gamer, so to them, it could be worthless and a waste of time. 

If someone says your hobby is worthless, then just say their hobbies are too, simple as that. If you're having fun, that's all that matters. 

Of course not. 

The primary reason to participate in any hobby is to have fun. If you're having fun gaming, then it's not a waste of time. Period. 

(Of course, many hobbies - including gaming - also have other side-effect benefits, but those aren't the main reason to participate in them!)

19 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Agreed but as I've said in several posts, that stigma isn't going to go away for the foreseeable future because it's been so deeply rooted since the early days of gaming history.

On 12/15/2022 at 9:12 PM, Shagger said:

But that's not the point, the point is that whilst hobbies may allow the space for inspiration, they aren't necessarily the drive behind it.

Perhaps not the drive behind the existence of the hobbies--but possibly the drive behind some individuals' interaction with them. I suppose it all comes down to what each person makes of it. If someone grows up playing TLOU and is inspired by Ellie to find a way to be optimistic in our increasingly apocalyptic-looking world, fights to survive, and ultimately ends up helping a lot of people in part because of her example, then I'd say they used their hobby to help them change the world.