Register Now
Shortie

Do you change your button mapping to suit your gameplay

Anyway.. let's hope this thread is okay being well yeah.. anyway. Do you change your button mapping when it comes to your game play? In many games there are setting options to allow you to change which button does what either on controller or on keyboard and it can be changed to better suit your game play.

I myself started doing this more so on fortnite for things like crouching and sliding when they were introduced to the game and I found that crouching and sliding was better for me using B as that is what it is for many other games so it made sense. 

Occasionally. For example, Crypt of the Necrodancer had the following controls on the numpad:

Numpad 8 = Up

Numpad 4 = Left

Numpad 6 = Right

Numpad 2 = Down

I changed the 'Down' key from Numpad 2 to Numpad 5, because I was used to arrow keys 😛 . (Unfortunately, my own set of arrow keys was messed up, hence why I was using the numpad instead!)

I thought of this whilst playing Mirror's Edge, which has one of the worst designed control-systems I've seen in a game. I don't want jump to be mapped to my xbox360's useless non-responsive shoulder bumper button. I want to be mapped to A. But oh no, it won't let you alter the controls. Why?!

The Orange Box is one of the only console games that allows you to remap as you see fit. Most others give you a few choices to choose from (standard, left handed etc) and that's it. Not good enough, says I!

On 12/20/2022 at 6:54 AM, Empire said:

I thought of this whilst playing Mirror's Edge, which has one of the worst designed control-systems I've seen in a game. I don't want jump to be mapped to my xbox360's useless non-responsive shoulder bumper button. I want to be mapped to A. But oh no, it won't let you alter the controls. Why?!

The Orange Box is one of the only console games that allows you to remap as you see fit. Most others give you a few choices to choose from (standard, left handed etc) and that's it. Not good enough, says I!

Oh yeah, I remembered that game - it had plenty of potential and was a fun game to play but the story fell apart towards the end of the game. I just used my keyboard and mouse because I was also frustrated with trying to remap the button layout for my Xbox controller at the time.