Register Now
StaceyPowers

How much direction do you want in terms of a quest telling you where to go on the map?

It depends on the game. I like turning off a few options in The Witcher 3 and I use the Explorer Mode in AC Valhalla, but in WoW for example I use the quest marker extensively since I’ve played it for so long that I kind of jump through dialog in the quest boxes.

It actually depends a lot on what character is suppose to know. If you're exploring an area that you character doesn't know thier way around, the it makes sense for the interface to not "hold you hand" so to speak and direct you whare to go. If in the game your character does know the area of if the have been given instructions I don't think a quest marker is much to ask for. In the contrary, I think it can can help immersion by clueing you in on what the character knows.

For me it really depends on the game and how you would find your way around the map for new quests. For example if it were a game where the character I was playing had special senses as a way to find things around the map without a marker or an area marked I would use that. In most games that I play though, I find that it's usually a marker that you can place or the area is highlighted where you need to be with a mark like directing you to the location. This is something I prefer if I am honest in video games and find helps me more when needing to find an area. 

For me I like to get some story about the quests you play. Maybe an idea of what to expect, or a clue of what you need to do or who you need to see, etc. Just pointing me to a waypoint to do this isn't enough, you gotta butter me up a bit and give me a reason to want to go on these mini quests or side quests. But, I don't mind finding a quest on my way through the game. Just so long as I'm not given quests out of nowhere without any context to go with them. 

I hate the current direction of gaming. Everything is right in your face all the time. Single player games abuse waypoints and MMOs have done the same. It's interesting looking at games like World of Warcraft and comparing the quest text from the Vanilla days with the current quests. The level of detail and explanation has dropped significantly, to the point where I don't feel I can complete the simplest gather and kill quests without the helper arrows and blue blobs on my map.

If I'm exploring outside a city, I don't like to use much direction because I want everything off the picture screen. Sometimes I'll use a waypoint. In the city area, especially driving games where you move faster, I always leave the guides on. I hate it when info about the quest keeps changing, especially when in the middle of something and I missed what I was supposed to read, whether that be from a quest or from notes I found. Or when you are listening to dialogue when stuff flashes on the screen about a quest. Can't listen and read at the same freakin time. When I do have the guides on in driving games, I like the approach in Saints Row 3, where you don't have to keep looking at a mini map every couple seconds because an arrow will flash telling what direction to go when you have to turn. That way I can focus on driving. What's even better is WD Legion where you can set a point and put the vehicle in auto drive to get there while you just take in the scenery. That's awesome. 

I want it like it is in Assassin's Creed Odyssey, or Ghost Recon Breakpoint. A description of the place that is more than enough to find the general location, and after you found the place the exact marker only appears then.

Because if I have a direct marker I'd just follow it blindly and ignore everything else on the way. But if I'm just looking for a place then I take time to explore the scenery and go off the beaten path. Finding other interesting locatoins in the process, that I'd completely have missed otherwise.