Register Now
Kane99

Gamers are suing Microsoft over Activision deal now

It's not just Sony and some others who want Microsoft to not purchase Activision, now a group of gamers are opposing the purchase. The group of gamers suing stated this: 

“Microsoft already controls one of the industry’s most popular and largest video game ecosystems,” "The proposed acquisition would give Microsoft an unrivaled position in the gaming industry, leaving it with the greatest number of must-have games and iconic franchises.”

To be fair, I agree that Microsoft gains too much from this acquisition, but if they open up their games to other platforms like they said they would, I see no issue with it. At least with the games from Activision, or at the very least COD being multiplatform. 

This case probably won't change anything, but it might slow Microsoft down a bit. Do you think these gamers can stop MS from this acquisition? 

Source: https://news.bloomberglaw.com/antitrust/microsoft-sued-by-gamers-challenging-69-billion-activision-deal

Considering that this is Microsoft we're talking about, I see the protests doing absolutely nothing but wasting a lot of people's time. It's no hidden fact that Microsoft has been trying to get as close to a monopoly as they can without actually creating one. Buying Activision is just another step up that ladder. And if they do lease games to other companies like Sony and Nintendo, they're going to demand vastly more than the damn game is even worth. Yet people will pay it because they want that game on their preferred platform.

Being that Microsoft have said that they would open up the games to all platforms and they would not be Xbox exclusives I see no reason why this deal with Activision should be a problem at all unless they go back on their word and make the games exclusive before or after the deal has gone through. People will make it a problem though as anyone does with anything which only leads to a waste of time for many. 

True, but this is Microsoft we're talking about. They're one of the biggest liars in the tech world, not just the gaming industry. They take back promises, and lie their asses off all the time. It's part of their business practices to make their investors happy, and keep that worm dangling on the hook just above the water where we can almost reach it.

Despite using a PC, I've never been a fan of Microsoft in general (Bill Gates is an ass). Both before and after they entered the gaming market, and thus becoming one of the best selling consoles in the world.

Edited by The Blackangel

11 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

True, but this is Microsoft we're talking about. They're one of the biggest liars in the tech world, not just the gaming industry. They take back promises, and lie their asses off all the time. It's part of their business practices to make their investors happy, and keep that worm dangling on the hook just above the water where we can almost reach it.

Despite using a PC, I've never been a fan of Microsoft in general (Bill Gates is an ass). Both before and after they entered the gaming market, and thus becoming one of the best selling consoles in the world.

Microsoft will do it because it'll make them far more money and will help them overtake Sony so they have more than enough of an incentive to do it. I don't trust Microsoft or any major corporation either but I do know that their language is and will always be money.

At first I thought this was fake news. Ten people who are obviously PlayStation fanboys taking action for the greater good of gaming. How commendable. Thank god we have them looking out for us. I can’t stop laughing. Microsoft should definitely settle by sending them all a Series X with a $10.00 off coupon good for the next COD title.

On 12/24/2022 at 7:52 AM, Empire said:

At first I thought this was fake news. Ten people who are obviously PlayStation fanboys taking action for the greater good of gaming. How commendable. Thank god we have them looking out for us. I can’t stop laughing. Microsoft should definitely settle by sending them all a Series X with a $10.00 off coupon good for the next COD title.

It seems that even Google is getting involved trying to influence the FTC to stop this deal from going through and it's crazy because nobody says anything when Google is out here buying out all their competitors.

On 1/20/2023 at 2:06 PM, killamch89 said:

It seems that even Google is getting involved trying to influence the FTC to stop this deal from going through and it's crazy because nobody says anything when Google is out here buying out all their competitors.

Actually, it has just been announced that the DOJ is now investigating Google for violating antitrust laws relating to online advertising. And Google is actually under investigation in another antitrust lawsuit. So they now have two investigations.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justice-department-sues-google-monopolizing-digital-advertising-technologies

On 1/24/2023 at 4:49 PM, Reality vs Adventure said:

Actually, it has just been announced that the DOJ is now investigating Google for violating antitrust laws relating to online advertising. And Google is actually under investigation in another antitrust lawsuit. So they now have two investigations.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justice-department-sues-google-monopolizing-digital-advertising-technologies

I know - it's been in the news over the past week or so. It's greedy megacorporations having a go at each other - I'm loving this.

8 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

It's crazy, like as soon as you mentioned Google...Bam! lawsuit. lol

To be honest, the lawsuit was in the making way before we ever started discussing this whole thing. As early as last July (if I remember correctly) when the EU were looking into Google's anti-competitive behavior so I believe that's one of the lawsuits.