Register Now
The Blackangel

TLOU 8-bit?

This was mentioned in the thread I posted last year about my phobia, but we both have a new question.

Will the downgraded graphical version of TLOU/TLOU2 run on a PS5? Obviously we already know it will run on a PS4, but we can't find anything on a google search answering whether or not it will work on PS5. @Rain Dew wants to watch me play the game, but until she has beaten it and we can downgrade it, I can't play it.

As far as I can tell, the same accessibility options (plus more, apparently) from The Last of Us Part II will be available in The Last of Us Part I on PS5 and PC, so I think it's a safe bet that the "8-Bit" more be included. Like you said, in TLOU Part II the mode had to be unlocked first unfortunately. Still, I'll try and find out for sure, but I'm virtually certain it will be there.

Wait, the TLOU2 has an 8-bit graphic mode? I knew they had accessibility options built in, but I had no idea they offered an 8-bit mode, that's actually pretty cool. Is there any videos of it in action? I saw some of the accessibility options for blind and those who have bad eyesight. Does it make it look like a PS1 game? If so I kinda want to try that out. 

17 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

Wait, the TLOU2 has an 8-bit graphic mode? I knew they had accessibility options built in, but I had no idea they offered an 8-bit mode, that's actually pretty cool. Is there any videos of it in action? I saw some of the accessibility options for blind and those who have bad eyesight. Does it make it look like a PS1 game? If so I kinda want to try that out. 

Yes it does have that 8 bit mode. As for how it looks, it's more line NES graphics. PS1 was 32 bit. @Reality vs Adventure posted a video Here that shows what the game would look like.

On 1/4/2023 at 1:00 PM, The Blackangel said:

Yes it does have that 8 bit mode. As for how it looks, it's more line NES graphics. PS1 was 32 bit. @Reality vs Adventure posted a video Here that shows what the game would look like.

That's kinda cool, does look very similar to PS1 graphics. I'm actually kinda tempted to play it this way. But idk how long my eyes can handle those old style of graphics. My eyes don't do so well with graphics from the PS1/N64 era. 

Being that with the exception of several PS4 games, I'm strictly a classic gamer, my eyes do fine. Whether I'm playing SMB or RDR2, it doesn't matter. Considering that you're not used to it, you would probably have to train your eyes. Go back gradually and let your eyes get used to lower graphical abilities. It would take a long time, depending on your eyesight. Possibly a couple years or more. I would say to go for it.

As for the actual graphics, it's NES style not PS1. NES was 8 bit, PS1 was 32 bit. The pixelation of the graphics is a dead giveaway.

On 1/4/2023 at 1:41 PM, Reality vs Adventure said:

I found a video that says its ps5 showing all render modes for TLOU2. If Part 2 has the modes, then most likely the Part 1 remaster does too.For sure the Part 1 remake does. This is the only video I can find. At 1.48 minutes it shows 8-bit

I gotta say, I love that void filter. It's as if it's in a dream or something. I wish I could play that one, but I know I couldn't. 1960 is pretty too. The fire ones are great as well. But that void filter really has me. It's as if everything is fake, yet real at the same time.

Edited by The Blackangel