Register Now
Tonberry

What are your favourite video game commercials?

There have been a plethora of commercials for video games over the decades, ranging from informative, to whacky, to funny, and to outright stupid and bizarre. What are some of your favourites you remember?

My all-time favourite is probably the Japanese ad for Zelda: A Link to the Past. It's just a crazy live-action dance number, and once it's over you realize it didn't have a single second of actual game in it, but it sure had crazy staying power, and a funky beat to top it all off:

Another classic is the ad for Super Smash Bros. on N64. I always laugh at how they're just people in suits fighting drunkedly in real-life:

This was the only commercial I managed to see for myself on TV, one time. I was blown away and actually kept searching for it on other channels, but alas it only appeared once. I thought it lookd insanely cool:

There was something special about seeing your favourite hobby on the TV back then. (It's much more common to see ads for games nowadays, but they're usually quick showcases or straight up trailers, since TV and ads work differently now), even as a commercial. It kind of made it feel even "bigger" when you were little and only knew Zelda from bleeps and bloops on your Gameboy. What do you all think?

I remember this one, it was back in 2020 and it was when Apple removed Fortnite from the Apple Store and there was a big thing about it. Epic Games being themselves did a huge thing called #FreeFortnite and I always remember the commercial/trailer being absolutely amazing and they even gave away a free skin in game. Here is the commercial/trailer for it

#FreeFortnite Commercial

Edited by Shortie

44 minutes ago, Shortie said:

I remember this one, it was back in 2020 and it was when Apple removed Fortnite from the Apple Store and there was a big thing about it. Epic Games being themselves did a huge thing called #FreeFortnite and I always remember the commercial/trailer being absolutely amazing and they even gave away a free skin in game. Here is the commercial/trailer for it

#FreeFortnite Commercial

Hahaha holy shit, I had no idea, that's amazing. I've never seen that one but in case you didn't know it's a spoof of the old 1984 Apple commercial, which makes it even funnier.

15 minutes ago, Tonberry said:

Hahaha holy shit, I had no idea, that's amazing. I've never seen that one but in case you didn't know it's a spoof of the old 1984 Apple commercial, which makes it even funnier.

Yes I did hear it was a spoof of the old 1984 Apple Commericial and I think that was why it was so funny for so many because it was like an "We don't care" from Epic Games in their protest against their game being removed without them being informed. LOL