Register Now
Shortie

Have you ever speed run a game?

Something that I have noticed is quite popular among many people including live streamers is speed running through video games. They tend to play the game first and go through it all to understand what comes up and to understand the game as a whole. Once they have completed the game at least once they will then opt to speed run through the game on certain difficulties. 

Are you someone who has ever speed run through a video game you have already completed before? What game was it and how did your first speed run go? 

I have not, but I have tried to speed through some games in the past as fast as I could, but it was never to the point of how some of these speed runners do their thing. They utilize glitches and exploits to break through the game at a faster rate. Which is cool in some ways I guess. But I like the idea of beating a game legit from start to finish without any exploits. I'm sure many gamers do that too though. 

But yeah, it's not really my thing. I don't have the patience to do what big time speed runners do. 

Yes. I've done a speed run in the Uncharted games, and Stray. However, the only reason for it is because there are trophies in those games that require you to beat the game in a certain amount of time, and if you don't play the game as fast as you can you probably won't do it.

Not really, I rather enjoy the game and the story by taken my time and then after I think about leaving it and do something else. I really do not replay games after I done them. GTA 5 story - Once and no more. Halo the first game is the only game that I did the story more then once. 

16 hours ago, Kyng said:

Only very quick games, and even then, I wasn't very good at it. 

I'm just not built for speedrunning: if a game has a nice, inviting environment, then I just want to explore it: it kills me inside to run right past it!

Same - I love to explore the environments in videogames. Fool around with stuff here and there - Speedrunning is just not my forte.

On 1/23/2023 at 1:43 AM, killamch89 said:

Nope - I like to take my time and explore games to truly savor the experience. Can you really enjoy just skipping a huge chunk of the content just to finish a game?

This is understandable, I am the same like to be able to take in the game and go through it and follow it rather than speed run through it. 

Some people speedrun through games just because they can and also for entertainment purposes as well. I have seen many streamers and YouTubers do it in the past and it does seem to get some attention. I guess if they have played through the game once at normal pace and then gone to do it again and again to try and beat their completion time I can understand the interest around it. 

I've never really done a speed run. I attempted to with TLOU and TLOU 2 my second time around playing them. My speed run is more story oriented, but I still do stop and stare at stuff. How can you not? For me it's more of a quick play and not really a speed run. I actually do like quick plays at times to focus on story. I think when I was a kid I did speed runs with Nintendo games because I played the hell out of them beating the games over and over. And many of those games you couldn't save progress, so either finish or start new. 

Yes, games years ago would make more sense to do speed runs on as it was always you had so many lives and once they were gone that was it you had to start again. This would have made speed runs more fun to watch as well due to the risk of having to start again. Now speed runs can work but they don't have that risk of losing it all and having to completely start again. 

On 2/25/2023 at 6:46 PM, Progrumz said:

I'm not good at speedrunning games. I don't do things quickly enough or in the most efficient ways.

I also don't really enjoy speedrunning since you miss getting a lot out of the game when you go too quickly.

And to be fair, it takes years and years of playing these games to master it enough to do speedrunning. I don't have the patience to do speedrunning the way some people do, because they have to learn how to break the game to get ahead in the game. I would speedrun it the way I know how, and that's playing the game the way you're supposed to. But people find ways of getting through levels faster by getting through glitches and other such things.