Register Now
Shortie

Have you ever speed run a game?

On 2/25/2023 at 11:46 PM, Progrumz said:

I'm not good at speedrunning games. I don't do things quickly enough or in the most efficient ways.

I also don't really enjoy speedrunning since you miss getting a lot out of the game when you go too quickly.

I feel I am somewhat in the same boat, even if I tried to speed run a game something would in the end slow me down. I tend to get distracted by things I see in a game and because of that, I would instantly slow down to check things out. 

I've been thinking about speed running either Generation 1 of Pokemon or maybe one of the Genesis Sonic titles. I probably will start with a glitchless run, especially since Sonic requires some pixel perfect skips to get zips to work. With Pokemon it's a lot more RNG manipulation and specifically following certain paths and catching specific Pokemon. I just don't really have too much time to practice speedrunning currently.

I have never speed run a game, and have no plans to. It's just not something that interests me at all. I like to take my time with my games. Goofy challenges are fun to watch on YouTube, but speedrunning bores me. For example, I watched a video sometime last year of a guy who played and beat Ocarina Of Time without ever picking up a single rupee. If he did accidentally (sometimes it's just unavoidable), he would restart from his last save point. I don't remember how he got the Deku Shield without having the 40 rupees it cost, but it was intriguing to watch.

On 4/11/2023 at 6:08 AM, The Blackangel said:

I have never speed run a game, and have no plans to. It's just not something that interests me at all. I like to take my time with my games. Goofy challenges are fun to watch on YouTube, but speedrunning bores me. For example, I watched a video sometime last year of a guy who played and beat Ocarina Of Time without ever picking up a single rupee. If he did accidentally (sometimes it's just unavoidable), he would restart from his last save point. I don't remember how he got the Deku Shield without having the 40 rupees it cost, but it was intriguing to watch.

Same - I'm always fooling around and testing different theories in any given game. Hell, I even make up my own unique challenges. Speedruns are so pointless...

12 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I think there was also someone who, instead of running, tried backflipping everywhere. I don't remember if any of it worked out for them, but considering how OoT is designed, I highly doubt they got very far.

That just sounds so bizarre - what was he trying to accomplish?

On 5/4/2023 at 2:51 PM, The Blackangel said:

Your guess is as good as mine. Maybe he was going for some weirdass record. 

I mean the Guinness book of records has all kinds of bizarre records, was he trying to make one? lol.