Register Now
Smokey

AEW's new game by Yukes Entertainment?

Are you looking forward to the new game from AEW developed by Yukes Entertainment? I am 😄 I absolutely love Yukes wrestling games.

For those of you who don't know who Yukes is, they were the original developers of the Smackdown games on the PS1 and early PS2 games. They also developed WWE Attitude and WWE Royal Rumble respectively on the Sega Dreamcast.  I'm excited to see how AEW turns out. 

I've been waiting for it for a while now since it was first announced. It's going to be called AEW: Fight Forever. It's taking inspiration from games like WWF No Mercy and WCW vs nWo Revenge, which used the Akai engine I think it was. They're trying to replicate that control scheme with the new game, and I don't know how to feel about it. I never got the hang of those games, probably because I never tried to learn moves. But I'll check out the AEW game to see how it does. 

It'll be really interesting to know who's publishing this and if it's some sort of longer term deal. Wasn't long ago that EA were looking to get into wrestling games with WWE and there aren't exactly a whole pile of other sports based publishers out there outside of 2k and EA.

4 hours ago, Empire said:

It'll be really interesting to know who's publishing this and if it's some sort of longer term deal. Wasn't long ago that EA were looking to get into wrestling games with WWE and there aren't exactly a whole pile of other sports based publishers out there outside of 2k and EA.

THQ Nordic is actually publishing it with Yuke's developing. It's funny, because THQ was the original publisher of WWF No Mercy and the other WWF/WCW games on the 64. This is a new THQ, but it's still cool to see how times have come full circle in a way. To see THQ and Yukes on a wrestling game again, is kinda exciting. :) 

53 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

THQ Nordic is actually publishing it with Yuke's developing. It's funny, because THQ was the original publisher of WWF No Mercy and the other WWF/WCW games on the 64. This is a new THQ, but it's still cool to see how times have come full circle in a way. To see THQ and Yukes on a wrestling game again, is kinda exciting. 🙂

My thoughts exactly. I'm super pumped for this one. I'll definitely have to drop a pre-order when a date is announced.

Some new details on AEW Fight Forever can be found via the link below: 

https://thegamebutler.com/2023/01/05/aew-fight-forever-preview/ Includes new screenshots and a video you can see below. Honestly this game is shaping up to be something special. I hope it brings me back to my childhood of playing WWF No Mercy. I miss those days. 

On 1/4/2023 at 11:51 AM, Kane99 said:

THQ Nordic is actually publishing it with Yuke's developing. It's funny, because THQ was the original publisher of WWF No Mercy and the other WWF/WCW games on the 64. This is a new THQ, but it's still cool to see how times have come full circle in a way. To see THQ and Yukes on a wrestling game again, is kinda exciting. :) 

I know right - this partnership is taking me way back with the Smackdown Games published but THQ, I can't wait for this AEW game - this will probably be the first wrestling game that I'd have bought in over a decade.

6 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I know right - this partnership is taking me way back with the Smackdown Games published but THQ, I can't wait for this AEW game - this will probably be the first wrestling game that I'd have bought in over a decade.

If anything I feel like they're going to attempt to recapture that feeling you had with the WWF No Mercy and WCW vs nWo Revenge games by thq. They're using similar gameplay to those two and any others thq did for the N64. 

10 hours ago, Kane99 said:

If anything I feel like they're going to attempt to recapture that feeling you had with the WWF No Mercy and WCW vs nWo Revenge games by thq. They're using similar gameplay to those two and any others thq did for the N64. 

I used to play those games all the time as a kid and I wouldn't mind something that recaptures the nostalgia. From what I've seen, this seems like a more authentic WWE experience than the WWE 2k games.

42 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

I used to play those games all the time as a kid and I wouldn't mind something that recaptures the nostalgia. From what I've seen, this seems like a more authentic WWE experience than the WWE 2k games.

The only issue with those older games, was that I never mastered the controls. When I was a kid all I ever did was play the Royal Rumble mode lol. So I never really put time into learning it's crazy controls. I just remember it being hard to figure out how to do certain things, and having to do button combos bugged me at the time. 

But, I'm willing to learn this time around. :D 

6 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

The only issue with those older games, was that I never mastered the controls. When I was a kid all I ever did was play the Royal Rumble mode lol. So I never really put time into learning it's crazy controls. I just remember it being hard to figure out how to do certain things, and having to do button combos bugged me at the time. 

But, I'm willing to learn this time around. :D 

To be fair, WWF on the N64 took a lot of button combinations to do certain things so I understood why it'd be difficult to learn - even I found it hard to play when I was just getting into it. I sincerely hope that doesn't make a comeback either.

I will admit that I am excited to see what they have done with the game and I am quite surprised that my kids have not asked for this game and instead want the John Cena version of WWE 2K23 instead. Despite them knowing about it, they still haven't asked. I have a funny feeling that when it is released though and many streamers are playing it, they will notice it and will then probably show an interest. 

Yes, I plan to get it down the road. I am a fan of pro wrestling and AEW, so know for sure I'd enjoy it. I am curious how the story mode will work in it, and hope it isn't too repetitive or boring. 

On 2/1/2023 at 1:56 PM, Shortie said:

I have a funny feeling that when it is released though and many streamers are playing it, they will notice it and will then probably show an interest. 

I am quite sure they will then. Happened all the time to me when I was young and wasn't online as much as i am today. 

On 2/1/2023 at 2:56 PM, Shortie said:

I will admit that I am excited to see what they have done with the game and I am quite surprised that my kids have not asked for this game and instead want the John Cena version of WWE 2K23 instead. Despite them knowing about it, they still haven't asked. I have a funny feeling that when it is released though and many streamers are playing it, they will notice it and will then probably show an interest. 

I'm more excited to see what Yukes does w/ AEW than what 2K has done with their next WWE2K iteration 😛

16 hours ago, Smokey said:

I'm more excited to see what Yukes does w/ AEW than what 2K has done with their next WWE2K iteration 😛

I think to be honest, the reason most are excited for the new WWE game is due to the fact it is for John Cena and his 20 year anniversary which would make sense as he has been a huge star throughout his career. I think that is why my kids are more interested in it at the moment to be honest.