Register Now
aerodynamik

What's the impact of Social Media on Gaming?

Social media has had a significant impact on the gaming community by providing a platform for players to connect and share their experiences with each other. Through social media, gamers can find and join communities of like-minded players, discuss their favorite games, share tips and tricks, and stay up to date on the latest gaming news and events.

Social media has also given rise to a new type of content creator known as a "streamer," who plays and broadcasts games online for an audience. Many streamers have gained large followings on platforms such as Twitch and YouTube, and some have even turned their streaming careers into full-time jobs.

Additionally, social media has allowed game developers and publishers to directly engage with their players and communities, gathering feedback and building hype for their games. Many companies now have dedicated social media teams that manage their online presence and communicate with players.

Overall, social media has had a major influence on the gaming community by providing a platform for players to connect, share, and engage with each other and the industry.

What's your vision on the impact ?

Not unpopular. I think the general population would agree that most social media is not productive. Only older generations feel that way about video games.

It certainly depends on the games you play. Certain games are mindless and require little skill or critical thinking, but most games require some level of critical thinking. Even FPSs require strategy and practice prioritizing. RPGs hone countless skills which are useful in your everyday life.

Social media has made it so much more easier to reach friends and make new ones, especially for gaming. It's easy to connect with people while online gaming. Much easier than it was in the past. You can find online groups all over the place, from Facebook to twitter, discord and more. Social media has opened up the world to each other when it comes to gaming. And on top of streamers coming in and increasing its popularity even more. 

I guess it's exposed more non-gamers to the gaming space and influences some of them to become gamers themselves. On the other hand, you have toxic spears that keep threatening game developers over Social Media when the game they're looking forward to suffers a delay or some kind of setback. Also, there are the streamers who just jump into a game because it's the most popular thing out without learning the basics such as the controls or anything about the story of the game.

On 1/8/2023 at 7:16 AM, Empire said:

Not unpopular. I think the general population would agree that most social media is not productive. Only older generations feel that way about video games.

It certainly depends on the games you play. Certain games are mindless and require little skill or critical thinking, but most games require some level of critical thinking. Even FPSs require strategy and practice prioritizing. RPGs hone countless skills which are useful in your everyday life.

I do agree with you here - a good amount of streamers just play the hottest thing available just to get views. 

I feel that social media has definitely had not only a positive affect on gaming but also a negative affect. Positive in terms of that we can now connect with other gamers all over the world, share our thoughts and even make new friends but also that it has made is possible for content creators to make their streaming and content creation a full time job. In terms of negative, I feel that the gaming social media whilst a lot of the time is pretty solid and polite, you do get some bad apples who take it too far and give gamers a bad name. 

On 1/11/2023 at 6:29 PM, Shortie said:

I feel that social media has definitely had not only a positive affect on gaming but also a negative affect. Positive in terms of that we can now connect with other gamers all over the world, share our thoughts and even make new friends but also that it has made is possible for content creators to make their streaming and content creation a full time job. In terms of negative, I feel that the gaming social media whilst a lot of the time is pretty solid and polite, you do get some bad apples who take it too far and give gamers a bad name. 

Don't forget Gamergate as well with gamers facing off against gaming media which basically turned into a shit slinging contest which never benefited any parties involved.

Gamers take things way too seriously sometimes when it comes to their opinions on video games/consoles etc on social media as well. It's either Sony fanboys vs Xbox fanboys, or Nintendo fanboys too, but they're not as crazy I'd say. 

Social media has made it easier to complain about ones favorite video games, and it's gotten to a point that people will get heated about their thoughts. Twitter alone is a cesspool of arguments on just about everything. Facebook is about the same, arguing back and forth. I never bother commenting on social media because it's pointless, you can't win an argument. 

1 minute ago, Kane99 said:

Gamers take things way too seriously sometimes when it comes to their opinions on video games/consoles etc on social media as well. It's either Sony fanboys vs Xbox fanboys, or Nintendo fanboys too, but they're not as crazy I'd say. 

Social media has made it easier to complain about ones favorite video games, and it's gotten to a point that people will get heated about their thoughts. Twitter alone is a cesspool of arguments on just about everything. Facebook is about the same, arguing back and forth. I never bother commenting on social media because it's pointless, you can't win an argument. 

Definitely. I feel that humanity has started complaining much more since facebook came online. It's more normal to complain, troll, etc.

On 1/20/2023 at 3:41 PM, Kane99 said:

You forgot the COD and Battlefield fanboys or rather cult members I should say. Say anything bad about either series and it's like blasphemy against God.

On 1/20/2023 at 3:43 PM, aerodynamik said:

Definitely. I feel that humanity has started complaining much more since facebook came online. It's more normal to complain, troll, etc.

Facebook, twitter, reddit, you name it, people are complaining on it haha. It's all anyone does on social media these days. 

On 1/22/2023 at 12:28 PM, killamch89 said:

You forgot the COD and Battlefield fanboys or rather cult members I should say. Say anything bad about either series and it's like blasphemy against God.

They're just as bad, but imo, I don't think they're as rampant as they used to be. Or I should say, I don't see them complain as much anymore, than again I don't seek out any COD/Battlefield comments. But I'm sure it's just as bad as anything else out there. :D 

On 1/24/2023 at 1:59 PM, Kane99 said:

They're just as bad, but imo, I don't think they're as rampant as they used to be. Or I should say, I don't see them complain as much anymore, than again I don't seek out any COD/Battlefield comments. But I'm sure it's just as bad as anything else out there. :D 

I'd argue they're even worse - some of the things they complain about is ridiculous to say the least. The things that they should actually be addressing, they keep defending Activision/EA.

On 1/30/2023 at 8:28 PM, killamch89 said:

I'd have to disagree - Twitter is a cesspool and Reddit isn't much better either. The biggest examples of degeneracy can be found on both.

Couldn't agree more with this. I don't use Reddit myself too often at all but I know people who do and the amount of times I have heard about things that have been said or happened on Reddit is not always good especially for the gaming community. Twitter as well is a site I have used a lot and still do now and that is also just as bad as many other social media sites when it comes to gaming and the impact it has on gaming. 

We all know by now social media brings everything from good to the bad. Its impact on gaming? What period of time was social media first used in gaming? Was MySpace involved in the gaming world back in the day? When did gaming first start using social media and MMO's? Would have to take a look at that point in time and compare it to now. I don't know the answer. I can predict where the impact is heading though. As gaming is accepted more by adults and the rise in VR, gaming will become more and more exploited. You have virtual groping in games and all sorts of harassment. We have to balance not crossing into China's extreme laws while at the same time protecting young gamers and free speech. You also have to look at hostile takeovers of social media like Musk's Twitter and all that nonsense where our civil humanity is threatened by narcissistic psychos who want to be an oligarch and rule the world. So everything is always in flux. Culture is what impacts everything. As long as we stay a free world, we can enjoy what social media offers gaming and think of none intrusive ways to protect people and make things less toxic. But if we lose our free world then the impact on gaming basically becomes dictated and hostile.