Register Now
aerodynamik

The role of game mods and modding communities

Game mods, short for "modifications," are user-created alterations to a game that can add or change features, content, and gameplay mechanics. Modding has been a part of the gaming industry for many years, and some of the most popular games have active modding communities that create and share mods.

Modding communities can have a significant impact on the longevity and popularity of a game. Mods can add new content and features to a game, keeping it fresh and interesting for players. They can also fix bugs and improve upon certain aspects of the game. In some cases, mods have even been officially integrated into the game by the developers.

Modding communities can also help to build a sense of community and collaboration among players. Modders often share their work with others and may collaborate with each other to create more complex mods.

However, modding can also be a controversial topic in the gaming industry. Some developers and publishers do not allow modding of their games, or may not support or endorse it. There can also be issues with intellectual property and copyright when it comes to mods.

Overall, game mods and modding communities can have a significant impact on the gaming industry and can help to keep games alive and popular for longer periods of time.

The most important feature to encourage modding would have to be a modding tool. For example, the Elder Scrolls Construction Set could be used with a bit of practice without any prior game development experience. The mods could be built entirely with in game models, so they wouldn't clash with the game's art style.

ANother LARGE is GTA mods, so many mods and whatnot for GTA for many years and it's big indeed. I started it back in GTA IV days LOL in 2012

Game mods bring new life to long dormant games. Like old multiplayer games like Battlefield 2, or Battlefield 1942, which has a small community of gamers with their own servers and game nights. They also make mods for the games and make new mods to keep the game fresh for a new generation. 

And of course, they make popular games more fun, and add loads more to do, depending on the game and if they allow it of course. 

But yeah, modding is huge, and if we didn't have people modding games, we wouldn't see some of the biggest games, because I'm sure a lot of the developers who work on your favorite games, got started in modding games and other such things, so that's a cool thing to keep in mind. :) 

On 1/9/2023 at 3:23 PM, Kane99 said:

Game mods bring new life to long dormant games. Like old multiplayer games like Battlefield 2, or Battlefield 1942, which has a small community of gamers with their own servers and game nights. They also make mods for the games and make new mods to keep the game fresh for a new generation. 

And of course, they make popular games more fun, and add loads more to do, depending on the game and if they allow it of course. 

But yeah, modding is huge, and if we didn't have people modding games, we wouldn't see some of the biggest games, because I'm sure a lot of the developers who work on your favorite games, got started in modding games and other such things, so that's a cool thing to keep in mind. :) 

You're forgetting about the Elder Scroll and Fallout series (particularly Skyrim and Fallout 4) - without the modding community, these games would just be mediocre games with some game-breaking bugs. Thanks to their modding communities, these mediocre Bethesda games have been turned into timeless hits.

On 1/11/2023 at 12:27 PM, killamch89 said:

You're forgetting about the Elder Scroll and Fallout series (particularly Skyrim and Fallout 4) - without the modding community, these games would just be mediocre games with some game-breaking bugs. Thanks to their modding communities, these mediocre Bethesda games have been turned into timeless hits.

I absolutely agree with you about Skyrim. I don't understand the world of mods at all, but since I started playing Skyrim again I am seeing a shit load of bugs. The game is beautiful and interesting no doubt. I can't imagine how Skyrim would have stood the test of time if it weren't for its infamous mods. Fascinating concept right there. 

As someone who is part of the Sonic hacking scene, I've seen some amazing hacks throughout the years. In fact, some of the tech members on Sonic Retro actually were hired on by Sega to work on Sonic Mania, so in some cases some companies will hire fans to fix bugs or work on new games. Modding is great because it brings life into games you've played numerous times and adds new twists.

On 3/30/2023 at 12:09 PM, Reality vs Adventure said:

I absolutely agree with you about Skyrim. I don't understand the world of mods at all, but since I started playing Skyrim again I am seeing a shit load of bugs. The game is beautiful and interesting no doubt. I can't imagine how Skyrim would have stood the test of time if it weren't for its infamous mods. Fascinating concept right there. 

Mods literally turn Skyrim into anything you want it to be. There's a mod for almost any kind of fantasy genre you can think of.

15 hours ago, Ravenfreak said:

As someone who is part of the Sonic hacking scene, I've seen some amazing hacks throughout the years. In fact, some of the tech members on Sonic Retro actually were hired on by Sega to work on Sonic Mania, so in some cases some companies will hire fans to fix bugs or work on new games. Modding is great because it brings life into games you've played numerous times and adds new twists.

Some of these Modders are absolutely mental with what they're able to come up with. Modding communities are an essential part of any gaming community.