Register Now
aerodynamik

The role of AI in games

Artificial intelligence (AI) has been used in game design for many years to create more realistic and immersive gameplay experiences. There are many ways that AI can be used in games, such as:

Non-player character (NPC) behavior: AI can be used to control the behavior of non-player characters (NPCs) in a game, such as enemies or allies. This can include decision-making, pathfinding, and reacting to player actions.

Difficulty adjustments: AI can be used to dynamically adjust the difficulty of a game in response to the player's skill level. This can help to keep the game challenging but also ensure that it is not too difficult or easy for the player.

Procedural content generation: AI can be used to generate game content, such as levels, environments, or items, in a procedurally generated way. This can help to create a larger variety of content and make each play-through of the game unique.

Decision-making: AI can be used to help players make decisions in games, such as choosing which actions to take or which items to use. This can add an element of strategy to the game and make it more challenging.

Overall, the use of AI in game design can help to create more dynamic and engaging gameplay experiences for players.

One big thing is that better AI is not always more fun. For the game I'm working on, we did a huge AI overhaul. As part of that we tested 3-4 flavors of new AI code. One of them was this super advanced almost human like AI. It was amazingly hard, enemies would flank you efficiently, they'd hide from you and sneak attack, they'd pick up weapons off the ground, they'd communicate with each other, at one point I thought they were just fucking with me and we were secretly playing multiplayer.

What I want to see with AI is how we're using it as of late. If AI is getting so advanced these days, I'd like to see the AI we're using now, implemented in video games in some way. We already have AI in gaming, but I feel like with the advancements that we've made recently with AI, it could add some interesting scenarios to our video games. But, I could also see it making games harder, or challenging in other ways. 

I agree - I do like when the AI is able to come up with more varied strategies to keep me on my toes when playing a game. For example, the xenomorphs in Alien Isolation learned how you responded to certain methods of attack and adapted which meant you couldn't keep using the same strategy to evade them the entire game.

AI also has a purpose of affecting emotions and not just by NPC's, but also by the environment. A great example is the Layers of Fear series. It's visually psychedelic as if everything has a mind of its own. There are no other NPC's except for your character you play as. Every scene tells a story or captures a mood, and it can change from moment to moment.