Register Now
Reality vs Adventure

Watching full video games on youtube

I've always been wondering when I will get out my ps2 and play some old games on there because I was thinking about games I never finished its story or never finished the series. So I said the heck with it and for the first time I started watching the whole video game movie, all cut scenes with some gameplay, no commentary. I am quite fascinated by that. To me it is better than watching a movie or show because I really get into it more even just by watching. I even check the health on screen and ammo. And the person playing the game is usually pretty damn good at it. You could call it cheating I guess, but it is convenient if you don't have the game or the console or even the time to go through the whole process of playing it. It's a neat way to catch up on old games. Of course there are some games I seriously would rather play than watch. I've been watching Indigo Prophecy because I remember playing it and almost finished i but not quite, and I always wanted to go back and play it. Anyone else enjoy watching games on youtube or any other video service? I'm getting excited to watch some of these older games. Of course nothing beats the experience of actually playing the game, but for convenience I think this is pretty cool and entertaining. 

I like watching the occasional Let's Play or VoD stream of a person playing a game, but in 99.9% of the cases it's more to do with me enjoying listening to the particular person playing as the format is often comedic in nature, but if it's a game I haven't played in a long time or something new I'd like to see but I know I'll probably not get myself I tend to be more invested in the actual video, else I treat it more like a podcast.

Though of course it happens from time to time that I just open a video of an old game and watch, but I've emulated games since I was a kid so if there's something I don't have my in my physical collection anymore I'll usually find a way to give it a whirl, even if only for like a night or something.

Hi all, @Reality vs Adventureyes mate you are correct, sometimes it is easier and more enjoyable in some ways to watch the game being played for you via YouTube, as you can completely focus on the story instead of having to watch and  keep an eye on everything else while playing it, plus as you say it saves the hassle of having to setup your old consoles if its an old game your watching, or even just cant be bothered playing the game if its new. That is one of the reasons i started my YouTube channel, which im only really concentrating on the more story focused games with, as they are as good as, if not better than films in my opinion. The other reasons i think a channel like mine is useful is for people who may not be able to afford the games or the hardware needed to play them, especially at the moment where every penny counts. Also some people just cannot play games, as much as they would love to, because of some disability that may mean they simply are not able to play them and i think its only fair that those people still get the chance to be able to experience the awesome stories and work that's gone into some games. I also know quite a few people who just dont play games and never have, but they still enjoy watching them on YouTube in the same way as they would watch a film, so yeah my point is channels like mine do have their uses, as you dont necessarily have to be playing the game to enjoy it! 🙂

As to the commentary on games, i decided to upload 2 versions of every game i upload, which granted is twice the work, but having commentary or not on games videos is a matter of preference and i think its probably 50 50 when it comes to which people prefer, so i decided to upload both, problem solved lol! 🙂

Well, they're so long that I'd have to really like a game in order to do this 😛 .

I usually only do it with nostalgic games from my childhood (e.g. the Mata Nui Online games and the first three Harry Potter games).

I thoroughly enjoy watching Longplays, they're like Let's plays, but the person playing is actually good at the game, it has no commentary, and it progresses through at a normal level without obstructions (so no trying to glitch, or 100%, or find eastereggs, or getting lost - it's like a gameplay movie, just several hours long.

I don't mind watching full videos of games on YouTube if it's a game I am playing myself and I watch the video for help or inspiration on the game so that I do not miss out on things. Most of the time though I spend time looking through walk through of games or just small play through of games to watch when I have the time. 

On 1/11/2023 at 6:42 PM, Shortie said:

I don't mind watching full videos of games on YouTube if it's a game I am playing myself and I watch the video for help or inspiration on the game so that I do not miss out on things. Most of the time though I spend time looking through walk through of games or just small play through of games to watch when I have the time. 

I also tend to watch some of these videos when I'm interested in certain games and to see if I'd like it.

I have watched a couple games on YouTube from start to finish. Sometimes I watch with commentary, but I also watch without it depending on the game. If it's story driven, I don't want commentary. But if it's some dumb game they play to kill time, I don't mind commentary, if anything it's better that way with commentary, well depending on the person making the video. 

Anyway, I watched The Last of Us Part 2 completed, no commentary. I played the first game myself, but didn't have a PS4 or PS5 to play 2. So I watched a youtuber who puts out playthroughs without commentary. 

On 1/20/2023 at 2:59 PM, Kane99 said:

I have watched a couple games on YouTube from start to finish. Sometimes I watch with commentary, but I also watch without it depending on the game. If it's story driven, I don't want commentary. But if it's some dumb game they play to kill time, I don't mind commentary, if anything it's better that way with commentary, well depending on the person making the video. 

Anyway, I watched The Last of Us Part 2 completed, no commentary. I played the first game myself, but didn't have a PS4 or PS5 to play 2. So I watched a youtuber who puts out playthroughs without commentary. 

To be honest, I've checked it out but not to completion. I also played the first Last Of Us 2 but I don't want to fully spoil the game for myself so I didn't watch the whole thing on YouTube. I just don't like to spoil games I plan on playing but haven't gotten yet for one reason or another.

On 1/22/2023 at 12:55 PM, killamch89 said:

To be honest, I've checked it out but not to completion. I also played the first Last Of Us 2 but I don't want to fully spoil the game for myself so I didn't watch the whole thing on YouTube. I just don't like to spoil games I plan on playing but haven't gotten yet for one reason or another.

I get that. For me it's more to do with the fact I doubt I'll be playing these games myself. I got lucky when I played the first TLOU game. I borrowed my sister's PS3, and I played the game during a weekend. But, didn't have a PS4 to play the sequel so I just watched a lets play. And I figure I doubt I'll ever play it myself, and I wanted to get to that story, so I went with streaming. 

I know some people want to play it and experience it themselves, but I'm okay with watching some games. 

On 1/24/2023 at 1:56 PM, Kane99 said:

I get that. For me it's more to do with the fact I doubt I'll be playing these games myself. I got lucky when I played the first TLOU game. I borrowed my sister's PS3, and I played the game during a weekend. But, didn't have a PS4 to play the sequel so I just watched a lets play. And I figure I doubt I'll ever play it myself, and I wanted to get to that story, so I went with streaming. 

I know some people want to play it and experience it themselves, but I'm okay with watching some games. 

I mean, my cousin has a PS4, I just haven't found the time to hit him up so that I could borrow it to play TLOU 2. I wanted to get my hands on a PS5 before I played it but it's still such a struggle just to get one.