Register Now
Kane99

First look at Gran Turismo movie

I had no idea Sony was making a Gran Turismo game based on the popular franchise of video games with the same name. The movie is going to star David Harbour (of Stranger Things fame) and Orlando Bloom, who was in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies and a few others. I'm willing to check this out, but I'm not sure if we're going to get a good movie out of this. But, we'll see. 

Source - https://people.com/movies/orlando-bloom-and-david-harbour-preview-every-thrill-in-first-look-at-gran-turismo-movie/

Video: 

I know that this is a movie based on a game and even made in partnership with the company that publishes that game, but it's still a movie, so this isn't gaming news. That is why I'm moving this to the movies and TV sub forum.

And to be honest, I don't really understand why this needs to exist. This isn't the same thing as making a movie out of Need for Speed because Grand Turismo has always been a plotless driving sim'. This will be a film about fictional racing drivers in a fictional racing series that meant to emulate and mirror the real thing, and I just don't se that working. It's got a great cast, but racing movies just work better if they based on something real like Senna or lean all into a fantasy, not a bizarre mix of both like this seams to be.

Yeah I'm not sure about this movie. I enjoy the games but this does not look like a movie that I would be able to sit and watch. I feel like a lot of movies like this that are from games either work or they do not and in some cases they try it in hopes it will bring some money in but it is never as good as many will think it may be. 

This will probably be a movie I will skip.