Register Now
Kane99

Sony Releases Its First Accessible Controller

Source- https://www.wired.com/story/sony-releases-first-accessible-controller-project-leonardo/

CES-2023-Sony-Leonardo-01.jpg

It's good to see more accessible controllers made, especially since there are many gamers with disabilities, and they make due with what they have now. Now imagine the options they will have with a controller like this. I hope we see more of these controllers made. Gaming is for everyone. It's said to be a fully customizable controller, and is called Project Leonardo. 

Here's what it looks taken apart with all the different options available. 

CES-2023-Sony-Leonardo-02.jpg

I imagine something like this would cost upwards of $100+. Much like Xbox's accessible controller they released a few years back. 

On 1/7/2023 at 6:20 AM, Empire said:

Price? People often forget that disabled people usually aren't in the strongest position financially and cost is a big part of accessibility. Remember Microsoft selling a single red button for more than a standard controller?

Not sure, but I'm going to guess around $80-$100 or so. I know the Xbox adaptive controller was around $100 if I remember correctly, so I hope it's not too much more. 

I wonder if this could be classified as a medical aid or aid device, and maybe it can be covered by some health insurance. I'm doubful on that, but it can't hurt to look into. As well, maybe there are services out there that rent these out to those in need or even provide them at a discount price. 

On 1/6/2023 at 8:19 AM, The Blackangel said:

It looks more awkward than anything. A simple controller like we have seems to be the best option. But then again there are people who have either lost fingers, or had an amputation or some other disability that completely blocks them from gaming. Obviously, I can't speak for every disabled person.

I agree but they did say you can customize the button layout according to the article so it could be customized to their capabilities.

On 1/7/2023 at 6:20 AM, Empire said:

Price? People often forget that disabled people usually aren't in the strongest position financially and cost is a big part of accessibility. Remember Microsoft selling a single red button for more than a standard controller?

Sony aren't know for selling anything at an affordable price - that's for sure... And I remember the single red button from Microsoft.