Register Now
ImmersionGaming22

Which game scared you the most, maybe to the point of you not even being able to finish it?

Hey all, ive recently been playing the Dark Pictures Anthology games for my YouTube channel and it got me thinking of all the good horror games ive played over the years, some that really scared the crap out of me if im honest! 🙂 What i would like to know is, what scary games scared you the most and what was it about the game that really effected you?

I always remember Playing Dead Space back when it was released in 2008, which really gave my younger self the creeps, much in the same way that the Event Horizon film did. I suppose its because you are stuck out in space with no where to run and being hunted by some unknown entity, Also when playing Dead Space its the monsters that get you, as you blow off their limbs and they are still trying to get to you!

I also remember Outlast being a scary game, as you were making your way around an old mental asylum, with nothing but a camcorder, so no way to defend yourself or fight back against the nutters within. i remember the sense of helplessness being really apparent while playing this game, as all you could do was sneak around and run n hide if spotted. A lot of the game was in the dark as well, so you had to use the night vision ability of your camcorder to see where you were going, but you had limited power and had to find batteries, so u had to use it sparingly, which meant a lot of time playing in the dark.

The probably scariest experience to date was my latest, which was Paranormal Activity The Lost Soul, which i played via PCVR on my Quest 2 and it scared the crap out of me, to the point where i had to keep having breaks and genuinely did not want to play it anymore and really considered quitting the game unfinished lol. Obviously it was due to playing the game in VR that really made the difference, but what a difference it made wow! You have to imagine i was at home alone, with my VR headset on and a good pair of surround sound headphones turned up to 11, so i could hear every creak and bang. In this game you are in a haunted house, but because of VR you really are in the house, walking round with things moving, floorboards creaking and doors slamming, that was before any of the really scary crap started occurring, it really did scare the life out of me and i dont mind admitting it. Its one thing to play a scary game on a screen, but when in VR its on another level. lets just say ive not played another horror game in VR yet lol, i will eventually but just not yet hahaha

I know ive played and been really scared by numerous games over the years, but the off top of my head the above games are what spring to mind. But im sure others will mention games that ive played that scared them, which will jog my memory! 🙂

So yeah what game scared you the most and why?? 🙂

Silent Hill 1 back in '99 as a kid is the most scared I've been by a video game in my whole life. the entire atmosphere, music, psychological elements, the disturbing monsters, fog and the entire tone of the game was unlike anything I'd played by that point and I cut my horror teeth on RE1-3, AITD so I had played horror games prior.

as an adult Visage is probably the most scared I've been. the problem is that the game felt overly obtuse, largely boring and just lacked at hitting all the notes I love about horror games. that said I haven't had many games make me take "fear breaks" but hoo boy did that game make me take some of those lol.

12 hours ago, Empire said:

Silent Hill 1 back in '99 as a kid is the most scared I've been by a video game in my whole life. the entire atmosphere, music, psychological elements, the disturbing monsters, fog and the entire tone of the game was unlike anything I'd played by that point and I cut my horror teeth on RE1-3, AITD so I had played horror games prior.

as an adult Visage is probably the most scared I've been. the problem is that the game felt overly obtuse, largely boring and just lacked at hitting all the notes I love about horror games. that said I haven't had many games make me take "fear breaks" but hoo boy did that game make me take some of those lol.

Hey Empire, i hope your good! 🙂

You see that is exactly what i meant when i said in my post that i was hoping you guys could jog my memory regarding scary games ive played in the past, as i always seem to have a brain fart when trying to recall games for topics i create lol, it must be old age catching up with me 🙂 But yes mate i have to completely agree with you 110% on your choices, especially regarding Silent Hill and RE, as those are probably the first 2 proper horror games i played and boy did they leave their mark, in fact i cant believe i did not remember Silent hill, as it is one of my all time favorite horror games, closely followed by RE! I think maybe its because its been so long since i have had to pleasure of playing Silent Hill, too long in fact, as such a big name game should have been continued, which has been promised on numerous occasions, but up to press has not been followed through unfortunately! 😞 But there is hope on the horizon, as ive heard that there is a new Silent Hill in development, which will be awesome! 🙂 As to RE, the first ones used to scare that crap out of me, now im not sure if its because i was a lot younger when i played them, or if its the games themselves that just aren't as scary, but the newer RE's just dont have the same effect on me as the old ones did, maybe all the years of gaming have numbed me to the point of not being effected as much?? dont get me wrong though, i still love the newer RE's, but just dont find them as scary is all!

Also yes Visage was a good one too, but there was only parts of it that i found scary if im honest, well scary enough to make me uncomfortable anyway, but as a game it was really good and looked great graphically, especially for a lower budget game. I did consider playing it in VR via VorpX when i got it, but ended up deciding against it and playing it normally lol if i remember correctly it wasn't that long after i had played Paranormal Activity in VR, which is why i decided against it hahaha like i said in my original comment, ive not attempted playing another horror in VR yet since Paranormal Activity! all in good time! 🙂

Probably Silent Hill 2. Even though I think I could finish it, the atmosphere and the tank controls really make it a tough sell for me. I don't like tight controls that can get you into trouble, so most horror games back in the day I didn't even touch. But Silent Hill 2 was just so cool, so I had to try it. I got somewhat far, but didn't play it too long haha. I knew once I hit a boss I'd get annoyed and give up. 

53 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

Probably Silent Hill 2. Even though I think I could finish it, the atmosphere and the tank controls really make it a tough sell for me. I don't like tight controls that can get you into trouble, so most horror games back in the day I didn't even touch. But Silent Hill 2 was just so cool, so I had to try it. I got somewhat far, but didn't play it too long haha. I knew once I hit a boss I'd get annoyed and give up. 

Hi Kane99, i hope your well bud! 🙂

Yes mate i get your point totally, most games left a lot to be desired when it comes to their controls back in those days, but yeah Silent Hill and even Resident Evil for that matter were clunky to say the least! Thank god games have improved dramatically over the years, as i do remember a few occasions where i struggled to pass a certain point in a game or beat a certain enemy, because of bad controls, it was so frustrating!

It would be great if they were to re master the silent hills like they have the original RE's, with better physics engines and controls, as there really were good games and like you say, the atmosphere is what made Silent Hill so scary. Like i was saying to Empire above, ive heard on the grapevine that they might be developing a new Silent Hill, which is way overdue in my opinion, i just hope they do it right and do the old games justice, as they have some very big shoes to fill! 🙂

I didn't get very far into Outlast... to be honest, I'm not entirely sure why I even bought it, since I'm not really into horror games to begin with 😛

(I think I only got it because a friend recommended it to me - and then, she hated it too!)

That's cool you played some games on the Oculus VR. The scariest game I ever played was The Exorcist on the Oculus. The VR amplifies it so much when you are free to move and interact. Plus, I'm a sucker for all the demon stuff. Scares the s**t out of me when the human face is evil. That is also one of the reasons why I thought RE7 was really scary on the console when people freakin turn devil on you. AAggghhhh!!!!! lol.  And I didn't even play that in VR...Wish I did. 

3 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

That's cool you played some games on the Oculus VR. The scariest game I ever played was The Exorcist on the Oculus. The VR amplifies it so much when you are free to move and interact. Plus, I'm a sucker for all the demon stuff. Scares the s**t out of me when the human face is evil. That is also one of the reasons why I thought RE7 was really scary on the console when people freakin turn devil on you. AAggghhhh!!!!! lol.  And I didn't even play that in VR...Wish I did. 

Hey Reality vs Adventure, i hope you well! 🙂

Yes mate tell me about it, VR takes games to another level it really does, ill admit i was not prepared for just how much more immersive VR is when i played Paranormal Activity, as it really did scare the crap out of me bigtime. I must admit though it makes all the difference when you hook up a quest 2 to a capable gaming PC, as running the quest 2 on its own as a standalone headset is fun, but when hooked up to a gaming rig and setup properly, the difference is night and day it really is. I played Lone echo where you are a robot helping your human commander maintain a helium 3 mining rig, which is orbiting Saturn, when i first looked out of the cockpit window and saw Saturn and its rings close up it was awesome, also Half Life Alyx is probably the best looking VR game to date, which when the graphics are maxed out in PCVR looks mind blowing, i really am getting into PCVR now, as its at a level now where it looks believable which is great! 🙂

On 1/9/2023 at 11:38 PM, Kyng said:

I didn't get very far into Outlast... to be honest, I'm not entirely sure why I even bought it, since I'm not really into horror games to begin with 😛

(I think I only got it because a friend recommended it to me - and then, she hated it too!)

Hi Kyng, i hope you good pal! 🙂

Yes mate outlast was a weird one, which you either loved or hated, but it was scary as hell, like i said before, i think its the fact that you cant fight back that makes it worse, all you can do is run and hide! 🙂 Im not great with horror games mate in all honesty, but i like the rush youu can get if its a well made game, like the one im playing at the moment, which is on my channel, The Devil In Me. Its scary as hell once it gets going, but its welll made and the graphics are awesome! 🙂

8 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Hmmm. This quite an interesting one - Madison was pretty scary - scariest horror game I ever played. I don't think I've ever panicked in a game quite as much and just wanted it to end.

Eyup Killamch89, yes mate Madison was a very scary game, that friggin statue that kept appearing in random places freaked me out and yes i could not wait for it to end too! 🙂

On 1/10/2023 at 7:51 PM, ImmersionGaming22 said:

Hey Reality vs Adventure, i hope you well! 🙂

Yes mate tell me about it, VR takes games to another level it really does, ill admit i was not prepared for just how much more immersive VR is when i played Paranormal Activity, as it really did scare the crap out of me bigtime. I must admit though it makes all the difference when you hook up a quest 2 to a capable gaming PC, as running the quest 2 on its own as a standalone headset is fun, but when hooked up to a gaming rig and setup properly, the difference is night and day it really is. I played Lone echo where you are a robot helping your human commander maintain a helium 3 mining rig, which is orbiting Saturn, when i first looked out of the cockpit window and saw Saturn and its rings close up it was awesome, also Half Life Alyx is probably the best looking VR game to date, which when the graphics are maxed out in PCVR looks mind blowing, i really am getting into PCVR now, as its at a level now where it looks believable which is great! 🙂

That does sound pretty cool to hook up Oculus to PC. How does that even work though with a headset? Does it provide better graphics that way through the Oculus? Does the PC convert it's graphics into the headset? And of course sound improvement too right, if you have a speaker system? I think you are on to something that just might be top notch gaming experience. 

Saw was one game I remember playing way back that I played but after a while I couldn't continue playing it just because it did scare me. I am quite easily scared so games and even movies like that scare me quite quickly. Another was when I was a kid and my brothers had Resident Evil, I used to watch them play and they used to let me play as well but I would get too scared during me playing that I would pass it back to them. It's weird as I now don't get scared when it comes to Resident Evil. 

Dead Space. When I first played it, I only got as far as grabbing the Plasma Cutter and noped out very shortly after. Didn't touch the game for months and only went back to it and got through it by using a guide so I could at least prepare myself for anything jumping out of vents at me and stuff. Eventually I stopped being so scared by the game but not until after I had beaten the campaign, so I didn't get to experience anything blind and appreciate the surprise encounters and stuff. At least I got to do that for Dead Space 2 though.

On 1/11/2023 at 9:49 PM, ImmersionGaming22 said:

Eyup Killamch89, yes mate Madison was a very scary game, that friggin statue that kept appearing in random places freaked me out and yes i could not wait for it to end too! 🙂

That game quickly made me distrust all statues I see in-game as they kept constantly moving and peeking at you around corners. That is pretty genius how the game developers managed to make a normally inanimate object (the statue) so terrifying. I swear it'll take me some time before I ever try to replay that game.

On 1/12/2023 at 8:17 PM, Reality vs Adventure said:

That does sound pretty cool to hook up Oculus to PC. How does that even work though with a headset? Does it provide better graphics that way through the Oculus? Does the PC convert it's graphics into the headset? And of course sound improvement too right, if you have a speaker system? I think you are on to something that just might be top notch gaming experience. 

Hi Reality vs Adventure, i hope your well! 🙂

Sorry for the late reply, but ive been really busy! 🙂 Yes mate, PCVR and playing on a quest 2 standalone is like the difference between playing games on a phone and playing games on a gaming PC or console, as Quest 2 abasically has the processing power of a smart phone (maybe slightly higher) so yes when you connect your quest 2 to a gaming PC via a fast usb c cable (has to be a fact cable to be able to exchange data at needed speed, i use a fibre optic usb c cable) so when you do that, the quest 2 basically becomes just a display and all the processing gets done by the PC, you can also connect wirelessly to a PC now via oculus air link, but the data rates aren't as good as a fast cable, so i would always suggest a cable if wanting the best results, You also have to do a couple of tweaks in the oculus software to get the best possible results, but nothing to technical. Once it is al set up correctly its mind blowing it really is, ive even played GTA 5 in VR on it which was a different experience than playing on a tv or monitor let me tell you lol It does take a good PC to run VR games on max setting though, as you ae in effect rendering everything twice, once for each eye, so when playing top end games in VR, it can get really hard for anything but a top end PC to handle. It is well worth it though, as its an entirely new experience when your actually in the game, like i say check out Lone Echo and Half Life Alyx on youtube, they are top end PCVR games, also Medal of Honor Above and Beyond is another good PCVR game! 🙂 its the future of gaming if you ask me! 🙂

On 1/14/2023 at 8:43 PM, Shortie said:

Saw was one game I remember playing way back that I played but after a while I couldn't continue playing it just because it did scare me. I am quite easily scared so games and even movies like that scare me quite quickly. Another was when I was a kid and my brothers had Resident Evil, I used to watch them play and they used to let me play as well but I would get too scared during me playing that I would pass it back to them. It's weird as I now don't get scared when it comes to Resident Evil. 

Hi Shortie, i hope your well! 🙂

Yes mate i remember the saw game, it was quite scary as it goes, but so were the films lol and yes mate that's what i said in my original comment, resident evil (RE) used to scare the crap out of me when i was younger, but now, maybe because im older or have been numbed after years of gaming, i dont get as scared by the newer ones, although i do still love them! 🙂