Register Now
Reality vs Adventure

How entertainment affects your pets

I’m no scientist so I don’t have the answer. I do know the ability of empathy. When you lack empathy you become a follower of every single violation of humanity that is possible. So how does this relate to technology? Well, think about the tech you use everyday. The loud NOISE is what I’m getting at. Your pets have a higher sense of hearing. If you are in a smaller housing area like an efficiency or a bedroom then please get head phones for entertainment needs. Put your pet in another room if you want to get loud. And don’t ignore your pets. Thank you. I take a bow. 

When we had guinea pigs, they didn't like certain game shows (for one it was The Chase, and for another it was Tipping Point). 

I'm not sure why it was... maybe there were certain noises during them that sounded like predators?

This is very true. Many people do not realize just how sensitive animals hearing really is and often don't think about them being loud can affect them. I know when we had our cat before she sadly passed away any really loud noises would scare her and I was always having to tell my kids why she would run like she did if something was loud and they soon started to realize and were more careful. We also have a guinea pig and as much as they do like things like music, anything too high pitched or certain noises and it will bother them. 

It varies for my pets. Loud noises scare the shit out of a pitbull, so I tend to keep the volume low. My conure on the other hand, absolutely hates video games. If she's out and you pick up a video game controller, even if it's just to find something on Netflix or Hulu, she will viciously attack your fingers. And I mean viciously. You will bleed. If you want to play a game when she's out, you have to hide your hands under a blanket or something. This is literally what she does. I don't know why.

12 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

It varies for my pets. Loud noises scare the shit out of a pitbull, so I tend to keep the volume low. My conure on the other hand, absolutely hates video games. If she's out and you pick up a video game controller, even if it's just to find something on Netflix or Hulu, she will viciously attack your fingers. And I mean viciously. You will bleed. If you want to play a game when she's out, you have to hide your hands under a blanket or something. This is literally what she does. I don't know why.

Wow, seems like it can be difficult when you play video games for sure. Is your conure a pet you have had since it being born or did it have previous owners? Sometimes with animals they may react to something after they have had something happen previously. My mums cat is a rescue cat and she used to panic, run and hide but always be watching my brothers feet when he walked through the house, my mum later found out the previous owners had abused her and the one abusing her was tall like my brother so she instantly thought he would do the same thing. 

The conure I have had since she was a baby. We got her from a breeder in Springfield Illinois. Before we had even walked out the door, she had bonded with me. I didn't pick her, she picked me. She's a really loving bird as long as you're not trying to play video games. Also, I'm the only one she likes. She attacks everyone else. She tolerates @Rain Dew because she knows she has no choice. She loves to groom me. Or at least she thinks she is. She picks at freckles and my tattoos. She knows the tattoos aren't natural, and she probably thinks the freckles are dirt or something. So when I have her out, she's always picking at them trying to get them off me. It's cute as hell.

Here's one of the best pics I have of her.

Apple.JPG

Edited by The Blackangel

On 2/19/2023 at 8:50 PM, The Blackangel said:

The conure I have had since she was a baby. We got her from a breeder in Springfield Illinois. Before we had even walked out the door, she had bonded with me. I didn't pick her, she picked me. She's a really loving bird as long as you're not trying to play video games. Also, I'm the only one she likes. She attacks everyone else. She tolerates @Rain Dew because she knows she has no choice. She loves to groom me. Or at least she thinks she is. She picks at freckles and my tattoos. She knows the tattoos aren't natural, and she probably thinks the freckles are dirt or something. So when I have her out, she's always picking at them trying to get them off me. It's cute as hell.

Here's one of the best pics I have of her.

Apple.JPG

She's a beautiful bird - how old is she btw? Also, it's good when animals choose you. It's kinda the case with my female dog - my mother had her from the day she was born and because I used to visit my mother a lot, I was around my dog as she was growing up and we'd become so close that only I could walk her. If my mother tries to walk her while I'm around, she takes the leash out my mom's hand and gives it to me. If I refuse, she won't stop bothering me until I do it.

Her birthday is August 13th 2017. So she'll be 6 this year. I've had her since she was a baby and had grown all her feathers. So she was a few months old. She gets into bitey moods a lot, and makes sure to shit on me every time I have her out. Maybe it's her misguided way of showing affection.

14 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Her birthday is August 13th 2017. So she'll be 6 this year. I've had her since she was a baby and had grown all her feathers. So she was a few months old. She gets into bitey moods a lot, and makes sure to shit on me every time I have her out. Maybe it's her misguided way of showing affection.

Animals have unique personalities so they all have their own way of expressing their affection.

I am not sure how entertainment affects pets. I am sure studies have been taken on this subject, but perhaps if you are watching other dogs, cats or animals on the TV they may hear the noise and express interest in what's happening. Sometimes the noise can be too much for their hearing, but I am no expert