Register Now
Kane99

Welp, Meta is ending support for the original Quest VR headset

2019 was the year of the first Quest VR headset release and unfortunately it looks like Meta is deciding to cut support for the device soon. It will still get security updates and all that up until 2024, but the device will no longer get compatibility updates and all that. You also wont be able to take advantage of the Meta Horizon home any longer. So really you can play games you already own, but any future ones may not work properly. 

As well, it's rumored the Quest 3 is coming sometime this year, so there's that too. 

https://www.destructoid.com/meta-ending-support-quest-1-vr-headset/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=meta-ending-support-quest-1-vr-headset

That was pretty fast. This is the sort of thing I fear as the gaming world gets more digital. Oculus is strictly digital and we are already seeing how you are forced to spend money to upgrade as they end support for an older version of the headset after just 3 years. Think about that. You invest your money in a headset for it to sort of 'expire' in 3 years. 

I had no idea it was still getting supported. Was it just tech support or are Quest 2 games actually playable on the og? 

The Quest 2 by technicality of being an Oculus product before the Meta branding. Its still probably the best all around VR headset that is unfortunately tied to a super shitty company.

On 1/21/2023 at 8:24 AM, Empire said:

I had no idea it was still getting supported. Was it just tech support or are Quest 2 games actually playable on the og? 

The Quest 2 by technicality of being an Oculus product before the Meta branding. Its still probably the best all around VR headset that is unfortunately tied to a super shitty company.

Pretty much the tech support, security updates and I think support for new games. I hear you may be able to install new games, but they may not be supported 100%. And the downside of all this, is that the Meta Quest 3 is said to be coming soon, and that means the MQ2 might be on its way out too. 

16 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Typical Meta - they purposely do this so people are forced to buy the more modern versions. I wouldn't buy one of these as I have to log in with a Facebook Account.

It sucks, but I think a lot of the apps and programs are getting too strong for the older devices. Meta Quest 2 will probably see a similar fate when MQ3 drops. 

On 1/23/2023 at 3:06 PM, Kane99 said:

Pretty much the tech support, security updates and I think support for new games. I hear you may be able to install new games, but they may not be supported 100%. And the downside of all this, is that the Meta Quest 3 is said to be coming soon, and that means the MQ2 might be on its way out too. 

It sucks, but I think a lot of the apps and programs are getting too strong for the older devices. Meta Quest 2 will probably see a similar fate when MQ3 drops. 

It's a pretty slimy move and I'm glad Meta is failing because I don't want Facebook to be in charge of building the VR framework of the future.